Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some weaknesses of the Mayweather jr style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that this is eluded to as the Mayweather style speaks volumes as to where we are in boxing today. There was a time when shoulder rolls, shell defenses and pull counters were common. I'm scared this is gonna go the way of the crab defense .

Comment

activity, maybe?

Comment

he's not a finisher and he doesnt orient himself around finishing. most of the great fighters of the past have been offensive fighters, or at least fighters with great offensive potency. it gives you so many more options if you can change or end a fight with your power and aggression. floyd is an OK puncher. nothing to write home about, but not a feather fister.

if you're a pure boxer you need to win the balance of the rounds. your opponent knows the deal. if you're a puncher you can hit a ten run homer in the 12th round or the first.

he's also not monstrous in size and strength at WW. not weak, but he's not tommy hearns or ray leonard. and his chin is good, but it's not spectacular.
        Last edited by New England; 08-18-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dardy View Post
          activity, maybe?
          I'd say his economical activity is actually a strength. He only throws when he wants to which limits the openings opponents can try to use to hit him.

Then he forces everyone he fights to lower their punch output. His sharp counters, intelligent footwork, ability to hold his ground behind his shoulder guard, elbow, and clinching are great at breaking other fighters' rhythms and stopping their momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            I'd say his economical activity is actually a strength. He only throws when he wants to which limits the openings opponents can try to use to hit him.

Then he forces everyone he fights to lower their punch output. His sharp counters, intelligent footwork, ability to hold his ground behind his shoulder guard, elbow, and clinching are great at breaking other fighters' rhythms and stopping their momentum.

he's never fought a very good / great WW at his peak.

Comment

Weakness of Mayweather's style:

Anybody that hasn't used it since birth, is bound to suffer the consequences of not using it thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                he's never fought a very good / great WW at his peak.
                True. And if Floyd ever does in the future, he's already out of his prime.

The closest fights we have to that is the Cotto bout.

Comment

his main weakness more than anything else is a jab. its just a weakness of the shoulder roll style. that's why I laugh when ppl talk about broner getting hit with jabs. no **** Sherlock. Although Floyd has ways of neutralizing jabs. his primary way is his pull counter.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    The fact that this is eluded to as the Mayweather style speaks volumes as to where we are in boxing today. There was a time when shoulder rolls, shell defenses and pull counters were common. I'm scared this is gonna go the way of the crab defense .
                    lol. this is true enough. and it has a lot to do with what the fans wanna see and how the fighters are being trained. there aren't many old school guys out there anymore and fans really don't appreciate the master boxer styles anymore. they prefer skilless violence as I call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
                      Southpaws.
                      He has not only beaten but he has DOMINATED EVERY southpaw he has faced

Comment

Working...
                      X