Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reactive Mitts with a student (Showing Off)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Live2box View Post
    Sorry I was only rebounding your last post back to you.."Ali who just so happen to train by bouncing on his feet all over the ring not staying stationary" ? Well in that fight you used for an example, Ali did stay stationary. lol!

Look, whether its 1,2,3,4 or flashy mitts work, fighters don't neccesary become successful or unsuccessful because of it. In regards to you kept refering to basics? (This can be another topic thread as it is debatable). Perhaps what we teach as basics is different with great coaches' basics. Perhaps what Eddy Futch, Dundee, Steward or Roach etc..drills as basic (to them), are perhaps advance to us average coaches. Perhaps the lateral moves and dancing around of Ali were drilled by both Ali and Dundee as basics. You get my drift? But I think perhaps you may have missed the point and give way too much credits for pad work here. Keep in mind there are other factors which why fighters become successful..e.g. Fight strategy, abilities to take on board instruction at the corner during pressure situations, good fitness and condition, hearts & determination as well as home crowd supports.

And as much as I don't like saying it to the sport that we all love so much...corrupts and biased judging.

Now that you brought up Roy Jones jr, who would of thought Roy Jones would get knocked out by Danny Green in the first round? OK, you can say he was 100 years old when he fought him, but than again Bernard Hopkin was also 100 years old when he fought Calzaghe (and Calzhage was only 80 yrs old at the time.lol!) but points taken.
    If anything, the example I gave you just makes the "1-2-3-4 power punching" method look even worse. And to be fair, prime Ali dancing around would have pummeled Foreman with relative ease.

That's the whole point of this thread. We're not talking about any of the other variables you mentioned [which I agree, ultimately decide how a fighter performs]. We're simply addressing "1-2-3-4 power punching" mitt work and reactive mitt work. As I stated before; for novices, sure the basic methods are a great starting point, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work better over reactive mitt work. I, personally, don't knock the basics, all I'm saying is that perfect textbook technique doesn't always trump imperfection and natural fighting ability--and vice versa... I gave you examples.

Who wouldn't have thought Green would have knocked out RJJ considering how far he'd fallen off? Perhaps somebody not from the states, clearly. More important than whom is when. Hopkins just came off beating a naturally bigger Tarver and fellow textbook stylist in Wright. "Pity-pat, flash" Calzhage hadn't even stepped off home turf going into that fight, not to mention what Hopkins would achieve after their fight.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
      If anything, the example I gave you just makes the "1-2-3-4 power punching" method look even worse. And to be fair, prime Ali dancing around would have pummeled Foreman with relative ease.

That's the whole point of this thread. We're not talking about any of the other variables you mentioned [which I agree, ultimately decide how a fighter performs]. We're simply addressing "1-2-3-4 power punching" mitt work and reactive mitt work. As I stated before; for novices, sure the basic methods are a great starting point, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work better over reactive mitt work. I, personally, don't knock the basics, all I'm saying is that perfect textbook technique doesn't always trump imperfection and natural fighting ability--and vice versa... I gave you examples.

Who wouldn't have thought Green would have knocked out RJJ considering how far he'd fallen off? Perhaps somebody not from the states, clearly. More important than whom is when. Hopkins just came off beating a naturally bigger Tarver and fellow textbook stylist in Wright. "Pity-pat, flash" Calzhage hadn't even stepped off home turf going into that fight, not to mention what Hopkins would achieve after their fight.
      Here is what I'm taking after reading some of your comments. It sounds like you assume that if a coach doesn't do the Roger Mayweather style of mitts work....he just stands there and tell his boxer to hit 1,2,3,4 as hard as he can and no skills involves..lol! Please tell me I'm wrong. I think todays coaches have moved away from that (if they ever did it before) Hell, he might as well just tell his boxer to go hit the bag as hard as he can than call it a day..lol! It's an insult for those of us who combine skills, lateral movements, short combo, phases combo, counter lead, head movements, ranges variation while mixing soft shots and power shots using the punching mitts. Just because we don't do it like Roger Mayweather style doesn't mean we just stand there and let our boxers throw 1,2,3,4 as hard as they can..lol!
      Last edited by Live2box; 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Here is what I'm taking after reading some of your comments. It sounds like you assume that if a coach doesn't do the Roger Mayweather style, doesn't mean he just stands there and tell his boxer to hit 1,2,3,4 as hard as he can and no skills involves..lol! Please tell me I'm wrong. I think todays coaches have moved away from that (if they ever did it before) Hell, he might as well just tell his boxer to hit the bag as hard as he can than call it a day..lol! It's an insult for those of us who combine skills, lateral movements, lead, counter lead, head movements, ranges variation while mixing soft shots and power shots using the punching mitts. Just because we don't do it like Roger Mayweather style doesn't mean we just stand there and let our boxers throw 1,2,3,4 as hard as they can..lol!
        What?

I know for a fact that Barry doesn't just use the counter-punching mitt work that the Mayweather's have made famous. He uses a variety of mitt work, even the basic 1-2-3-4. He has videos posted doing basic mitt work amongst other basic drills.

I never said just because you don't like to do it like Roger Mayweather means you just stand there. You need to go back to the beginning of the thread, this is why I wasn't responding to you for those first few posts. Some were saying it's better to focus on the basics with punching power. My stance was that it depends. When you compete at an advanced level, let alone compete at all, it takes more than just basic punches with nothing but power behind them. Point blank.

Cool, you don't do Roger's style of mitt work, couldn't care less.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
          What?

I know for a fact that Barry doesn't just use the counter-punching mitt work that the Mayweather's have made famous. He uses a variety of mitt work, even the basic 1-2-3-4. He has videos posted doing basic mitt work amongst other basic drills.

I never said just because you don't like to do it like Roger Mayweather means you just stand there. You need to go back to the beginning of the thread, this is why I wasn't responding to you for those first few posts. Some were saying it's better to focus on the basics with punching power. My stance was that it depends. When you compete at an advanced level, let alone compete at all, it takes more than just basic punches with nothing but power behind them. Point blank.

Cool, you don't do Roger's style of mitt work, couldn't care less.
          OK Roger Mayweather or Barry etc. Sorry I don't follow Barry's serious of mitts work. Only part of the link in this thread, than it went off, than it says I have to pay for it if I want to see more. I didn't. Perhaps if I pay for it, I would of saw what you were trying to explain. Yeah I don't have problem with his style also (even with the small part I saw). I just don't like people assuming or claim this (or that style) is the only path way to boxing success. (or something along that line).
          Last edited by Live2box; 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

OK Roger Mayweather or Barry etc. Sorry I don't follow Barry's serious of mitts work. Only part of the link in this thread, than it went off, than it says I have to pay for it if I want to see more. I didn't. Perhaps if I pay for it, I would of saw what you were trying to explain. Yeah I don't have problem with his style also (even with the small part I saw). I just don't like people assuming or claim this (or that style) is the only path way to boxing success. (or something along that line).
            Great, neither do I.

Comment

Working...
            X