No announcement yet.

There's very little "pride" left in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icha View Post
    lara wasnt even available at the time... canelo picked him even knowing he was already signed to fight ishe smith... that was the perfect excuse for canelo to fight some other fighter but he didnt, still haters cant see that... and no way lara was ppv worthy, kirkland could have been a much better option...
    Haters? I have nothing against Canelo. Lara made some noise at the post fight presser and created a rivalry. He was the only guy they could pick. If Canelo was all about the "pride", he'd do the rematch.....but he was set to fight Joshua Clottey....and that wasn't on PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      Haters? I have nothing against Canelo. Lara made some noise at the post fight presser and created a rivalry. He was the only guy they could pick. If Canelo was all about the "pride", he'd do the rematch.....but he was set to fight Joshua Clottey....and that wasn't on PPV.
      canelo clowned lara at that presser, lara was like a shy teen asking for a date..
      and canelo could have fought anybody and come with the same ppv numbers, lara didnt help at all in that aspect, and the reason there is no rematch is cuz lara stunk the place, people dont want to see that boring a$$ again at the big stage..

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
        canelo clowned lara at that presser, lara was like a shy teen asking for a date..
        and canelo could have fought anybody and come with the same ppv numbers, lara didnt help at all in that aspect, and the reason there is no rematch is cuz lara stunk the place, people dont want to see that boring a$$ again at the big stage..
        They wouldn't have approved another opponent on PPV just like they didn't approve Joshua Clottey for PPV.

Whether Lara "stunk the place out" or not is quite irrelevant. If Canelo was all about the "pride", he'd make the rematch and do a more convincing job in a fight that a lot of people think he lost. But he's chasing the money. I'm not ****ting on him BTW, I'm just debunking this myth that he's all about "pride". No fighters are all about the pride.

Comment

I don't think it's pride, I think it's because promoters can't be managers anymore. I don't know when this rule came into effect but I bet that when it wasn't illegal, promoters/managers were more ruthless with their fighters thus creating better fights.

Problem nowadays is you have a promoter and manager who's opinions on what 'their' fighter should do and clash - Rigondeaux is a good example of this. We like to say 'Fighter A' is ducking 'Fighter B' but there is so many people a fight has to go through to get made, that it's a wonder we ever see fights.

Comment

Your boxing style can be an extension of your personality, your culture, the way you were brought up. That's why so many Mexican boxers are tough, from day 1 we're taught to be macho, don't show weakness, get hit, hit back. You see it a lot in the Latino culture.

You can look back at hollywood/US media to see how we used to be obsessed with being macho and how much we've changed.

Men like John Wayne used to be considered handsome, men idolized him for his toughness, women found him attractive because of it. By today's standards he's incredibly average looking, ugly, many movie stars were. In the 70s you had mustaches, chest hair, all considered desirable, movies with guys like Bronson, Eastwood, etc. usually westerns or crime movies. 80s/90s you had Schwarzeneggar, Stallone, Randy "Macho man" savage, Bruce Willis, etc. tons of action stars and movies. Hell, boxing was more popular, that should tell you something right there.

These days most men are portrayed as very feminine, and they are. Most have been pampered growing up thanks to our advanced technology and paranoid parents, many kids don't even set foot outside anymore, they grow up with an easy life. It really reflects in boxing as well.

Guys like Golovkin, Kovalev, etc. grew up on the streets, it molded them. Anyone that's ever grown up in a poor area knows you have to prove yourself on the streets.

Comment

The reason many fighters make popular fights instead of fights we hardcore fans want to see is simply because boxing isn't a popular sport in this country. Too many divisions, too many champions. With this in mind networks are cautious about what kind of fighter they broadcast and what type of fighter they need to build up.

Fighters like Ali, Hearns Leonard, and others didn't have to worry about PPV's or Showtime and HBO subscribers because they were broadcast on free TV. Add to that there weren't many channels competing.

It was a lot easier to say yes to a fight when you didn't have to worry about getting exposure.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler UK;15080452]They wouldn't have approved another opponent on PPV just like they didn't approve Joshua Clottey for PPV.

Whether Lara "stunk the place out" or not is quite irrelevant. If Canelo was all about the "pride", he'd make the rematch and do a more convincing job in a fight that a lot of people think he lost. But he's chasing the money. I'm not ****ting on him BTW, I'm just debunking this myth that he's all about "pride". No fighters are all about the pride.[/QUOTE]

This is true.
                No fighter fights only for pride.

If this was the case then Lara would have looked to avenge his terrible performances against Vanes, Molina and even Angulo. Funny how he was not interested in any of those fights. Only the money guy Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
                  Fighters like Ali, Hearns Leonard, and others didn't have to worry about PPV's or Showtime and HBO subscribers because they were broadcast on free TV. Add to that there weren't many channels competing.
                  Most of their fights were on closed circuit, the ppv of its time.

Stupid thread to brush everyone in the sport as a coward. It's a down year, get over it.

Comment

Back in Ali or Leonard's days fighters were paid really well already and they was still a heck lot of pride in those days

Comment

floyd gave maidana a rematch specifically because of pride. i don't even think floyd took a salary for that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X