Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any boxers you didn't give credit till recently?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Up until last year, Garcia and of course Stevenson. Actually I started appreciating Garcia more and more after the Khan fight but for Stevenson it was just a few months back when he schooled and beat up Cloud, that's when I realised just how good he was.

Going back a bit now, I didn't really appreciate Calzaghe until the Mitchell fight, till then I hated him for beating on my idol Eubank and then bang, getting back up, fighting like a man possessed, I loved it. Not gonna say I'm a big fan of the guy but he is no doubt a great fighter, skill, speed and tonnes of heart.
    I've got to agree with Garcia. At first I really disliked him and even wanted to bet my account on Lucas knocking him out. No one took the bet thankfully lol. I now am a fan of Danny. I just realized that he doesn't do anything exceptionally well not including his power. He seems to be average but his skills are extremely subtle and he is tactical in his approach. I now judge him on the sum of his work rather than the details. I'm definitely a Garcia convert. I still think greatly of Matthysse but Danny is definitely top notch.

Comment

Danny Garcia for me as well. I never thought much of him in the ring and even when he KO'd Khan I attributed that more to Khan's chin and bad gameplan than Danny's skills. Last year I got the impression he was scared of Matthysse and that put me off on being a fan. But he not only came through on fighting Matthysse, but then went on to school him. It was a really impressive win that opened my eyes to Danny. He's a very poised and comfortable fighter in the ring already and he seems like he has the right mentality to last a long time in the sport.

Comment

Danny Garcia definitely schooled me on how he would perform in his latest fights. I've always thought he had ok boxing skills, but he showcased his hands as well as power and a good chin in his latest outing. Also exposing some of Matthysse's flaws that will need to be improved since he wasn't able to break Danny down w/power. Let's see how far Danny can go, great fighter to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
          Danny Garcia for me as well. I never thought much of him in the ring and even when he KO'd Khan I attributed that more to Khan's chin and bad gameplan than Danny's skills. Last year I got the impression he was scared of Matthysse and that put me off on being a fan. But he not only came through on fighting Matthysse, but then went on to school him. It was a really impressive win that opened my eyes to Danny. He's a very poised and comfortable fighter in the ring already and he seems like he has the right mentality to last a long time in the sport.
          Good post. Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
            Up to about a month back I always knew Chavez Sr. was an ATG. I've seen him fight and acknowledged that he was good. It wasn't until recently that I actually began to study him and realized how good he actually was. I can't believe I called him a slugger for so long. The man was an amazing boxer puncher with emphasis on boxer. In my opinion just because he didn't fit whatever mold a boxer should be he's not given the credit of how good his boxing really was. Sure he punched to kill but everything was so precise. His balance was perfect, punch selection perfect; he could win from the outside, mid-range or inside. Today he became one of my favorite boxers of all time. Mind you, I already knew he was ATG status and have seen his fights plenty of times before I just decided to actually study how he applies his craft.

Is there anyone else you guys may feel the same way about and had an "enlightened" moment of?
            May God bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
              Bradley and Danny Garcia impressed me last year
              My pre precious reply was meant for you. May God bless you for saying as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SthPaw View Post
                Tim Bradley. Was never really into the guy and the Pacquiao controversy and how it was handled had me put off on him, but he came through a war with Provodnikov and beat fairly the 'old yet fresh from owning Pacquiao' Marquez. I think he already is in line for a Mayweather shot, his next fight could possibly get him one as he is giving Pac his due rematch, credit is deserved in my opinion.

George Groves. I was behind Carl Froch in their fight and wanted him to win. During the fight he completely took me by surprise and changed my opinion on him. He know deserves a rematch and has tons of new fans/supporters based on proving everyone wrong, especially Froch. Fair play in that respect.

Marcos Maidana. For derailing the hype train in thorough fashion. I was getting sick of being told Broner is Mayweather 2.0, and knew Maidana was a solid fighter, but for him to end a big amount of stupid hype for us all is fair game.

Also Adrien Broner himself to a degree, for asking and actually wanting to rematch the guy that ripped him from his pedestal. For a guy that is now ridiculed as a pretender, the willingness to get back at the guy who beat him is something admirable at least (not much else about him is though)
                Agreed upon the first three (Bradley, Maidana, Groves). I have expected much more from Broner.
                As about Danny Garcia? This is a tricky one... Not long ago his fans said that Danny normally destroyed a "hype job" in Matthysse... But now they say Danny is great exactly because of that fight.

Comment

Both danny and mikey garcia,,

over the past 2 years, they went from prospects to divisional champs and p4p material,,,

Been very impressed with both over the past 2 years

Comment

I never gave Provodnikov enough credit until recently. I attributed his efforts against Bradley to Bradley trying to prove himself. I didn't give Ruslan enough credit for bringing the fight and hurting Bradley several times. After seeing the Alvarado fight (even though I'm not too high on Alvarado), I knew Ruslan was a tough out for any fighter from 140-147. He may not be the fastest or the best boxer but he can punch, has a good chin and a lot of determination. He also does some subtle things in the ring that I would've never noticed about him a year ago. One example is how he pivots to create punching opportunities at close range. He also has a short, sneaky left hook. If he can start cutting the ring off better, he'll be even more dangerous.

Comment

Bradley, Garcia, Groves.

Comment

Working...
                      X