No announcement yet.

Landman's Role Within Team Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landman's Role Within Team Cotto

Landman was a great addition to the team years back and helped Cotto take it to the next level.

With Diaz in charge of the team now, and with his background in sports science, I've been wondering about Landman having a reduced role. Any idea as to any role change/reduction if any?

There is absolutely nothing NOTHING Landman knows that any other fitness "expert" doesn't already know.

Look at Alex Ariza does he look like a rocket scientist to you? No. Same old, same old. Run, Plyo, eat a lot, blah blah blah. Big whoop.

Comment

I think Diaz focus more on technique and his weird methods while Landman focus on his diet and weight.

Comment

Remember Ariza giving Landman praise? http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiaos...landman--21507

Landman, as a conditioning coach, must be in some way clashing with Diaz. Diaz is not only a trainer but he also seems to be monitoring (and dictating) Cotto's fitness training.

It's all good, though. Look at the Margarito rematch. Tony had thrown 700 punches through 9-rounds and was literally walking Cotto down but Miguel was still on his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
          There is absolutely nothing NOTHING Landman knows that any other fitness "expert" doesn't already know.

Look at Alex Ariza does he look like a rocket scientist to you? No. Same old, same old. Run, Plyo, eat a lot, blah blah blah. Big whoop.
          I disagree. They don't all go to the same schools nor are they pupils of the same teachers. Different trainers have different philosophies and methods for achieving similar objectives.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
            I think Diaz focus more on technique and his weird methods while Landman focus on his diet and weight.
            That makes sense...

Comment

Originally posted by egodfather View Post
              Remember Ariza giving Landman praise? http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiaos...landman--21507

Landman, as a conditioning coach, must be in some way clashing with Diaz. Diaz is not only a trainer but he also seems to be monitoring (and dictating) Cotto's fitness training.

It's all good, though. Look at the Margarito rematch. Tony had thrown 700 punches through 9-rounds and was literally walking Cotto down but Miguel was still on his feet.
              Exactly, it seems like Landman's role is reduced. Two heads are better than one...

Comment

I do think these conditioning coaches can have an important role for any fighter, but I can see why some boxing people might be averse to relying on non-boxing exercises to get a guy in shape. They are a great baseline way of keeping or getting back into the shape where you are ready to put in the real work which is the boxing related work.

At a certain point I think these guys are training a fighter's body to merely complete the exercise they are taking part in. Training your body to run sprints would make sense if you were going to be competing in a track meet, but boxing involves much more as we know. Perhaps Diaz has put more emphasis on getting into boxing shape...by boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                  I do think these conditioning coaches can have an important role for any fighter, but I can see why some boxing people might be averse to relying on non-boxing exercises to get a guy in shape. They are a great baseline way of keeping or getting back into the shape where you are ready to put in the real work which is the boxing related work.

At a certain point I think these guys are training a fighter's body to merely complete the exercise they are taking part in. Training your body to run sprints would make sense if you were going to be competing in a track meet, but boxing involves much more as we know. Perhaps Diaz has put more emphasis on getting into boxing shape...by boxing.
                  You may be right on point there...
                  Last edited by Fistic; 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

His role is to be there for Cotto. Make his shakes n stuff. Cotto and him have developed a good relationship and he probably still plays a big roll in Cotto's training, albeit perhaps having to share responsibilities with Diaz and the guys Diaz brought in.

Comment

Working...
                    X