Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What weight would it be acceptable for the Cotto vs chavez fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weight would it be acceptable for the Cotto vs chavez fight?

i say about 157 -158........................................cotto isnt even a full pledge jmw..........................

155-156 is acceptable but nothing above 157. Cotto is a WW and Jr is a 180 pound guy.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
      155-156 is acceptable but nothing above 157. Cotto is a WW and Jr is a 180 pound guy.
      i doubt chavez can make 155 though............157 is definitely where it should be at.............................so as not to put any fighter in an epic disadvantage............

Comment

What did Jr weigh in for this past weekend's fight?

Cotto shouldn't come in over 152-153. Even in the Mayorga fight, he looked real bottom heavy in comparison to his previous fights. Chavez Jr doesn't have speed to be worried about and he doesn't punch for volume, but to his credit he goes to the body pretty well and consistently throughout the fight more than any of his other punches.

If Chavez Jr can make 155-157, I say that's good. The fight night weigh in though could be something pretty lopsided.

Regardless what happens after this fight though, I'd REALLY like to see Cotto back at Welterweight.

Comment

Maybe 156 or 157, but Chavez Jr won't make that weight anymore. He was 180 during fight night so right now it's almost impossible that he can get as low as 156-157.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
            What did Jr weigh in for this past weekend's fight?

Cotto shouldn't come in over 152-153. Even in the Mayorga fight, he looked real bottom heavy in comparison to his previous fights. Chavez Jr doesn't have speed to be worried about and he doesn't punch for volume, but to his credit he goes to the body pretty well and consistently throughout the fight more than any of his other punches.

If Chavez Jr can make 155-157, I say that's good. The fight night weigh in though could be something pretty lopsided.

Regardless what happens after this fight though, I'd REALLY like to see Cotto back at Welterweight.
            I don't think Cotto will go back to WW. If he beats Chavez Jr that will earn him another Manny Pacquiao fight in 2012 for the WBC MW title but he will make a title defense first against either Margarito or Cintron. Cotto says he has 2 years left in boxing that would be 4 more fights and all of the money fights ouside of Mayweather would be at 154 (Alvarez, Cintron) or 160(Pacquiao, Chavez Jr and Martinez)

Comment

i don't think chavez can make anything that isn't middleweight at this point. doesn't he have the tendency to go "fat elvis" after a fight?

Comment

I think the real issue would be a rehydration cap. Anymore than 170ish on fight night would be too much for Cotto I think.

Comment

if its a title shot...No catchweight. If Cotto wants to be a middleweight champ, then allow the title holder to come in at 160. I already see it happening..Pacquiao vs Marquez III, followed by Pacquiao vs Bradley or Cintron and then Cotto for his middleweight title ....Pacquiao going for his 9th weightclass vs Cotto at a catchweight between 152-156 for a middleweight title. SMH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
                    i say about 157 -158........................................cotto isnt even a full pledge jmw..........................
                    That's the problem with this fight, unless Cotto could care less, which just might be the case, the weight might be too much. Chavez is a big dude, and Cotto is not (at jrm, let alone middleweight) and after rehyrdating will be well above the agreed weight. One way this could work, and not that I like the idea too much, but if you're gonna do the fight, maybe put a rehydration clause in the contract...say 10 pounds - that way Chavez doesn't have to drain himself below 160, but can't rehydrate more than 170....and Cotto will probably be around 164 on fight night himself....maybe, maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                    X