No announcement yet.

Pretending to be hurt ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretending to be hurt ??

Has this ever been done in boxing and if so why not ?

Im no mma fan but im sure everone here has seen the famous KO where the guy gets hit in the body, bends over and nearly goes down, only to one shot his opponent with a huge right hand as he rushes in for the kill.

Now ive always thought that in boxing, if you're a big puncher fighting a boxer who takes no risks and you're being outboxed and way behind on the cards why would you try this tactic ?

For example Haye v Wlad or Canelo v May.

Once it gets to round 9-10 there no way to win other than KO and your opponent isnt going to make a mistake, they are happy to just play it safe and win on points.

Why not take a shot and do the chicken dance back to the ropes and woble there only to come out firing with KO punches.

Every fighter wants a KO even the defensive careful ones, its human nature to rush in for the kill when your opponent is wobbled and this could be the only way to get them to let their guard down.

If your gonna lose anyway whats the harm in trying ?

Its a good idea if your down on the scorecards and your some one punch ko artist but falling behind on the scorecards would be stupid i believe noone would do it because they portray themselves as warriors if they faked a chicken dance dudes would still think it was legit

Comment

Imagine if they thought they had you and came out all guns blazing and wasted all their energy then got koed from exhaustion thats something bernard should try cause he's a sneaky fugger

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
        Imagine if they thought they had you and came out all guns blazing and wasted all their energy then got koed from exhaustion thats something bernard should try cause he's a sneaky fugger
        Yeah but you would never admit it.

Imagine if Haye (already 9 rounds down) was "rocked" in the 10th by a Wlad left, staggered back into the ropes, just manges to stay on his feet, only to come out firing with a huge right hand that hurts Wlad and Haye drives him back into the corner and finsihes him in one of the greatest wins of all time.

He would be known as hardcore warrior that came back from the brink of defeat.

Comment

Its called "baiting" or "playing possum". Archie Moore was capable of pulling it off also LaMotta.
          Ray.

Comment

that guy you're referring to in MMA was actually hurt, he just had the will to throw a really good punch.

Comment

Roger Mayweather did this at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Ivey View Post
                that guy you're referring to in MMA was actually hurt, he just had the will to throw a really good punch.
                Yeah I know, but it could just as easily be faked with potentially a similar result.

Comment

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
                  Roger Mayweather did this at times.
                  Did it ever work ?

As in they were way behind and pull off the ko ? or at least turn the fight ?

I just feel modern day fighters and trainers dont try things.

Apart from diving out the ring that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Its called "baiting" or "playing possum". Archie Moore was capable of pulling it off also LaMotta.
                    Ray.
                    I was gonna say playing possum but I didnt know if you guys even had possums or knew that phrase.

My cat brings me headless possums on a regualr basis over here in Aus.

Comment

Working...
                    X