No announcement yet.

Anderson vs GSP comeback fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
    ^GSP is the one who actually fought a smaller guy in BJ Penn before, it was a superfight where his opponent had to go up a weightclass to face him. Anderson has beaten champions and former champions in 3 different weight classes, and his last fights where he lost were against a much bigger and stronger guy.

Anyway, this never had a chance of happening when they were both champions, maybe now that neither are it can happen for some reason. But I still doubt it and don't really care for this fight anymore. Silva should just heal up and fight an easy opponent when he comes back.
    GSP did fight a smaller guy in BJ Penn BUT BJ Penn was on fire at that point and BJ WANTED to go up for that title. BJ is known for that, he continued to fight a lot of fights at 170 throughout his career.

Weidman isn't that much bigger than him, he is slightly bigger than him. They're pretty much the same height, Silva actually balloons up a bit more than him out of camp but Weidman is stronger, I agree. It was at 185 though, thats Silvas weight class and he got outmuscled its not like he moved up a weight class for that to happen.

I'm just not hungry for that fight as I once was back in 2010. GSP was slipping bit by bit for a few years now, hes comfortably the smaller guy (BJ Penn is 5"9, GSP is 5"10 whereas Silva is 6"2) and Silva isn't the same fighter he was when he first fought Weidman...that confidence/swagger is gone and especially with the injury he will second guess himself and decline athletically.

I personally think Silva should retire, hes a living legend in MMA and has nothing else to prove. He signed a lengthy contract with the UFC so probably will return for that $$$ OR having a target to return by/for will help his focus when rehabbing also.

Comment

Originally posted by BEDROOM BULLY View Post
      but we saw how that worked when he was met with someone with equal reach
      Gus reach: 79
      Jones reach: 84.5

------------

BJ Penn is a warrior. The guy fought at ****ing HW ffs.
      Last edited by takingaim; 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

And Silva was mentally gone in the 2nd fight. His 1 minute pause on the way to the octagon? That's weird for any fighter, but for someone like Silva to do something like that means he was obviously mentally broken. I often day dream (as I'm sure a lot of other fight fans have) about what it must be like to be a boxer/MMA fighter, and how it feels to be in those really big fights... the waiting... the constant waiting... having to keep your nerve. Those few hours before the fight, in your dressing room. Your name gets called out, and you're on... it's your time. Your nerves have to be all over the place, and it's a major test of character. He paused twice on the way to the octagon, then after the ref checked him over just before stepping into the octagon, he tried to walk past the ref, as if he didn't know where he was going. The ref then had to point him towards the steps to the octagon. This is EXACTLY what I imagined I might do in that situation too, if I was having trouble coping with the nerves.

I remember arguing with someone who thought Silva could beat Fedor.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
          Gus reach: 79
          Jones reach: 84.5

------------

BJ Penn is a warrior. The guy fought at ****ing HW ffs.
          His reac/height was close in comparison to the other guys tfought.. and he beat the hell out of jones

Comment

Working...
          X