Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most people don't understand what it means to be a trainer...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most people don't understand what it means to be a trainer...

... their minds have literally zero comprehension of what it involves. They might think it's a guy who only speaks during rounds, or a guy who helps with the water - they might even think a trainer means a guy who jacks himself off with yogurt while sticking an egg whisk up his ass. But it's a stone cold fact that if you've never boxed, your mind will be incapable of grasping such a complex issue.

The bond between a fighter and his trainer is a complex one... it involves hours of insight and understanding. All too often today boxers are changing trainers, discarding one when things don't work out. They might think that they wouldn't have lost a decision with a trainer, that a different approach is what's needed... they might even just become too full of their own hype and start to think they're too good to sit down and watch Weekend At Bernie's II on Betamax.

But how many trainers are seen as great because other people say they are and couch potatoes who have never laced up gloves believe it? Or how many trainers are great because they have once-in-a-lifetime talents like Ali or Mayweather? Are they great trainers, or just getting lucky with boxers? This will be over the heads of 99% of you.

It's a fact that a boxer needs a trainer as much as the other way round. I'm glad that bastard lost. He wouldn't even look at my Henry Maske book. Lots of nice pictures in it.

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    ... their minds have literally zero comprehension of what it involves. They might think it's a guy who only speaks during rounds, or a guy who helps with the water - they might even think a trainer means a guy who jacks himself off with yogurt while sticking an egg whisk up his ass. But it's a stone cold fact that if you've never boxed, your mind will be incapable of grasping such a complex issue.

The bond between a fighter and his trainer is a complex one... it involves hours of insight and understanding. All too often today boxers are changing trainers, discarding one when things don't work out. They might think that they wouldn't have lost a decision with a trainer, that a different approach is what's needed... they might even just become too full of their own hype and start to think they're too good to sit down and watch Weekend At Bernie's II on Betamax.

But how many trainers are seen as great because other people say they are and couch potatoes who have never laced up gloves believe it? Or how many trainers are great because they have once-in-a-lifetime talents like Ali or Mayweather? Are they great trainers, or just getting lucky with boxers? This will be over the heads of 99% of you.

It's a fact that a boxer needs a trainer as much as the other way round. I'm glad that bastard lost. He wouldn't even look at my Henry Maske book. Lots of nice pictures in it.
    I'll tell you this 99% of these people on these boards know nothing about boxing or how to train a fighter

Comment

I understand what it means to be a trainer. However, I don't understand what you are trying to say. It's confusing. Most people understand what it means to be a trainer.

Comment

Would be awesome if there was a schizophrenic fighter with multiple personalities who trained himself and talked to himself during rounds. "Come on, you're better than that!" :::slaps himself in the face::: "Wake up and attack the body like we trained on!"

Comment

But how many trainers are seen as great because other people say they are and couch potatoes who have never laced up gloves believe it? Or how many trainers are great because they have once-in-a-lifetime talents like Ali or Mayweather? Are they great trainers, or just getting lucky with boxers?
          This is an interesting point, and one that I don't think people have had much success untangling -- in part, perhaps, because many people don't know what they're looking for in a great trainer. This is the question a lot of people are asking about Virgil Hunter.

Comment

Classic!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X