Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mayweather Fight Toe-to-Toe Because He WANTS Too or HAS too?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he didnt just START fighting toe to toe..only in the baldimor fight have i seen floyd TRUELY skip around because of whatever reason, this "running" crap i hear makes me sick when floyd fights IN FRONT of the opposition for majority of his fights and clearly..

Now that hes getting older he really does HAVE to..

its called Adapting..

some Kobe guy has done that and is finding new life..
    Last edited by iLovesoccermoms; 02-03-2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Toe-to-toe is not what he does.

He is a pressure fighter that applies intelligent affective pressure. He has always fought like this with the exception of a few fights.
      Ditto. Some of these guys should watch more of Floyd's early fights. He has always fought that way especially against southpaws. Mostly he start out by analyzing his opponents styles early on which caused him to be cautious and vulnerable, but as the fight goes on in the later rounds, he has always picked up the pace and fight more aggressively.

I've been saying the same thing last year, there's a difference between being a Margarito type of pressure fighter and being an intelligent pressure fighter who knows how to maintain distance to retreat when necessary, ect.

Comment

Floyd has always been great in the pocket, but the ability to rely on his legs when it got hot in the kitchen gave him an extra out if he needed it. With him turning 35 shortly, maybe he knows he might have to sit in the pocket longer? Honestly, I think that works out in his favor anyway. He's precise, consistent, and never loses his composure (in the ring).

Comment

"Other fighters have to throw 10, 20 and 30-punch combinations. I don't. I'm a sharpshooter. I know where to place the shots and, like i said, I know when to fold and when to hold." - Floyd Mayweather Jr
          Nothing more need to be said.....

Comment

One of the writers over at ESB asked Floyd Mayweather Sr of why he think his son doesn't move around as he used to anymore, to which Sr simply replied, "You move when you have to".

I think that's all there is to it. At his age, Floyd needs to conserve as much energy as he can by fighting the way he has been in his last two fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
              Nothing more need to be said.....
              Honestly thats one of the main reason i dont like this Mayweather. I just think Combos are a huge part of the game and are great to see. Remember how crazy the forum went when he threw that combo vs Ortiz in the beginning of the 4th? Its so rare to see a combo

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                Honestly thats one of the main reason i dont like this Mayweather. I just think Combos are a huge part of the game and are great to see. Remember how crazy the forum went when he threw that combo vs Ortiz in the beginning of the 4th? Its so rare to see a combo
                I think we may see him throw some against Cotto. It is well known that Floyd has always performed at his potential level when his opponents throws 500+ punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
                  I think we may see him throw some against Cotto. It is well known that Floyd has always performed at his potential level when his opponents throws 500+ punches.
                  Yea maybe. Cotto doesnt like to hold and will just cover up when in trouble. I really wish i could see this fight live. I've seen 3 out of cottos last 4 fights

Comment

Originally posted by lx!! View Post
                    When has he fought toe to toe? Pot shot & run…
                    Exactly he never did he didn't fight toe to toe with shame mosley he just wore him out so much that he never had to move around i mean if you know someone is so wore out and tired and cant set up a shot for fear of counters why move around when you can be agressive. when he fought Ortiz he moved a lot he just used good latteral movement instead of bounceing back to avoid shots his legs aren't what they used to be but by no means is it toe to toe people make it sound like he's trying to be jame toney or something and stand infront of you and counter.

Comment

His legs aren't as fresh as they were back in 06-07, but he still has fresh enough legs to fight toe-to-toe but get out of harms way when he needs to.

Comment

Working...
                      X