No announcement yet.

Hopkins Pavlik question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopkins Pavlik question

i was wonderin watching the fight on you tube only been back into boxing few years but when hopkins fought pavlik what was the word on the street? did people think hopkins was to old? that he would win? anyone remember?

Pavlik was suppose to be the 1st guy to ko Hopkins,he was the favorite and people said Hopkins was crazy to take the fight

Comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5uiiJIc2rWIIdg

Comment

What Larry said + Freddie Roach, who was Hopkins coach for Calzaghe, told Hopkins he should retire and that Pavlik is seriously going to hurt him.

Roach denied the possibility that Hopkins can outbox Pavlik and make him fight at his pace, and used the Miranda fight as an example of how strong Pavlik is and he fights like that against Hopkins he can put him in trouble. He said Hopkins will present no threat whatsoever against Pavlik.

This was basically how the majority of fans and media felt. Unfortunately, despite having an account here at the time, I was not posting yet, I was posting on Youtube. I wish I could find some of the predictions I made on why Hopkins will beat Pavlik. They were pretty good and I was only a teenager

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          Pavlik was suppose to be the 1st guy to ko Hopkins,he was the favorite and people said Hopkins was crazy to take the fight
          sounds like during fight people were hinting he was to old crazy he still fighting at a high level

Comment

Pavlik was viewed as a rising star and people thought father time had finally caught up with Hopkins and he'd be stopped/KO'd. It all sounds foolish now because Pavlik got schooled and went onto become a drunk while Hopkins is still fighting close to the elite level today, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Comment

6 years later..Hopkins is a unified champ...and Pavlik is the town drunk....crazy

Comment

anyone remember the build up to the fight When Pavli was in the bar playing darts and his friends saying how he goes to bars but does not drink??

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  anyone remember the build up to the fight When Pavli was in the bar playing darts and his friends saying how he goes to bars but does not drink??
                  Yeah I think I recall that, it was on the HBO Countdown series correct?

The fight also spawned some of the most hilarious corner instructions of recent time; "double the fucking jab Kelly/hit him in the balls" - Jack Loew.

Comment

Yes i remember Pavlik was on a role and was a p4p after beating JT and some good performances, he was the new talent on the block.

So BH has been underestimated for a while now.

Comment

Working...
                    X