Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arum: ONLY WAY GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX BECOMES A STAR IS IF FIDEL CASTRO CO-PROMOTES

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    Un-freakin-real that he would say this about his own fighter. SMDH. Goes to show Arum has no clue how to market guys who aren't Mexican/Puerto Rican/Filipino. Why even sign cuban fighters if you don't do anything with them?
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Un-freakin-real that he would say this about his own fighter. SMDH. Goes to show Arum has no clue how to market guys who aren't Mexican/Puerto Rican/Filipino. Why even sign cuban fighters if you don't do anything with them?
      So true. This guy is such a simple minded fool. He has no idea how to market anybody. He just pushes guys from certain countries because he knows the fans are there. I know he makes money doing it but he could make even more money if he had half a brain.

Comment

Like I said, the vid's not working for me. However, the easiest thing to do is market a guy to his own people, if there's enough interest in that particular community. The next thing, rarer but better, is to market a superstar with crossover appeal. But guys like De La Hoya and Tyson only come along every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          Dang, clowning your own fighter?
          yah i'm shocked lol......

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Like I said, the vid's not working for me. However, the easiest thing to do is market a guy to his own people, if there's enough interest in that particular community. The next thing, rarer but better, is to market a superstar with crossover appeal. But guys like De La Hoya and Tyson only come along every so often.
            I don't think there is a cuban today that can be on the level of the historical top stars like De La Hoya, Tyson, Mayweather, Pacquiao, one of the reasons is they don't speak English.

Gamboa is the only one who appeals to Casual fans because he is similar to Pacquiao both have crappy defense but go balls out for a knockout and are exciting something casual fans love but he doesn't speak English or really talk much or smile often.

I think to be big in America you have to speak English even if your accent is horrible like Pacquiao, the Americans respect that you are trying.

Sergio Martinez could have been a huge draw too but he has a promoter who doesn't have the clout Arum does.

If Gamboa spoke English and was personable he would be pretty big right now.

Comment

timothy Bradley sells more tickets than Rigo, Lara, and Cantboa combined. Their only fans are the 5 cubans from BS. True Story.

P. S. Long live Castro.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                Before or after Donaire decided to stay after flirting with GB?
                Also what'd he say?
                Oh Im just talking about that video where Arum says Donaire can't beat Rigo, Gamboa or Juanma. I think he mentions Garcia too.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                  I don't think there is a cuban today that can be on the level of the historical top stars like De La Hoya, Tyson, Mayweather, Pacquiao, one of the reasons is they don't speak English.

Gamboa is the only one who appeals to Casual fans because he is similar to Pacquiao both have crappy defense but go balls out for a knockout and are exciting something casual fans love but he doesn't speak English or really talk much or smile often.

I think to be big in America you have to speak English even if your accent is horrible like Pacquiao, the Americans respect that you are trying.

Sergio Martinez could have been a huge draw too but he has a promoter who doesn't have the clout Arum does.

Boy you're on a role today pointing out the obvious. And fyi Pacquiao didn't speak English either when he got to the states. He needed a translator in the corner to translate Roach's instructions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

Every word of this is true. I'm just saying I think Gamboa is the only current Cuban fighter with the potential to become a real draw. But, as you point out, Yuri doesn't speak English, and his persona isn't necessarily marketable. He just has the raw ability. You have to start there, though. After all, you can have the most charismatic guy in the world, but if he sucks, nobody will watch him fight. And, by the way. "Attraction" is relative. I don't think for a moment Gamboa could be as big as Oscar or Tyson, even if he did speak English.

Comment

It's interesting to note that Yoan Pablo Hernandez is apparently loved in Germany. He speaks the language and has a likeable personality. He played Joe Louis not long ago in a film about Max Schmeling.

The Cuban boxers in the U.S., by contrast, have been absorbed by their own community and don't venture out except to fight. This is, of course, with the notable exception of Gamboa, who's at least trying to get himself marketed well.

Yuri is very ambitious. He knows he has a product to sell. People have criticized his move against Top Rank, but he was looking out for his best interests and it might just work out for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamboa starts speaking English on camera soon. He must do a little talking behind the scenes; otherwise, how did he become so chummy with Floyd and "50" in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                      X