Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you see Mike Tyson lighting the Olympic Torch someday?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NWO4Life View Post
    I've had this question floating around in my head for several years now.

Say we are 15-20 years from now. Do you think Mike Tyson would ever receive the honor of lighting the Olympic torch if the games were back on US soil? If it was not for the rape conviction, I would say "better than 75% chance", but even with the rape conviction, I see it being a possibility. America is a country all about forgiveness and redemption. We forgive people all the time for some of the most heinous things imaginable, especially if the person in question has turned their life around completely.

Mike Tyson, much like Muhammad Ali, has been an icon, a pariah, a convict, a Muslim, an engaging speaker, and is known the world over. Ali was outright reviled by much of white America for his stance on Vietnam, whereas Tyson went to prison for rape...which I see being the major factor differentiating the two when it comes to receiving the honor of lighting the torch. However, the more time has passed since his conviction it seems like the more people question his guilt and have been willing to forgive him, especially since he has turned his life around.

What do you guys think?
    As much as I admire the way the 'new & improved' Tyson has turned his life around America has enough Gold Medalists to light the Olympic Torch for the next 100 years. Tyson never fought in the Olympics (being an alternative to the best of my knowledge) so I see no reason why he should be lighting the Olympic Flame. Nothing to do with either one of thems out of the ring escapades. Ali won a Gold Medal, Tyson didn't participate.

Comment

Mike never fought in the Olympics, and when you consider his criminal past, the answer is no.

Comment

No ones mentioning the fact Ali was an Olympic gold medalist ...Tyson didn't even participate

Comment

no a convicted rapist should never be allowed to ligth olympic torch

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but the athletes who light the torch actually competed in the Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
              No ones mentioning the fact Ali was an Olympic gold medalist ...Tyson didn't even participate
              Except for the fact that I mentioned that Ali was an Olympic gold medalist and Tyson didn't even participate just two posts above yours.

Comment

Working...
              X