No announcement yet.

Rashad vs Davis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
    Davis is a much better pure wrestler, but thats negated by Rashad being a better fighter.

Before I forget, are we talking MMA or college wrestling?

Punching, submissions, kicks, that are used to set up take downs all go hand and hand with being an MMA wrestler.

If you say Davis is just the better pure wrestler (based their college records) than obviously you're not talking MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      Before I forget, are we talking MMA or college wrestling?

Punching, submissions, kicks, that are used to set up take downs all go hand and hand with being an MMA wrestler.

If you say Davis is just the better pure wrestler (based their college records) than obviously you're not talking MMA.
      pure wrestling = wrestling. Not wrestling in mma.

You are right in that there needs to be adjustments made for using the skills in mma, and i account for that. I don't think Davis sets up his shoots good enough for an mma fight.

His defensive wrestling will be very similar to that of a pure wrestling match though. Especially defending explosive takedowns. I think he will stay on his feets due to this (and i don't think rashad will feel it necessary to get it to the ground. hes a much better boxer than davis)

Comment

I'll ask you the same question.

Who has Davis beaten that's top 10 to make you think he's a better wrestler in MMA than Rashad?
        I never said hes a better wrestler in mma than Rashad. I think i said the opposite, but i also don't feel Rashad will get him down consistently.

Davis couldn't even take down lil Nog. Rashad took Rampage down multiple times who has some of the best defense in MMA.
        I disagree with Rampage having some of the best defensive wrestling (or "defense" if you decide to nitpick). Hes obviously a much better wrestler than Gustafsson, Nogueira or Stann though.

Regarding Rashad's chin.

He's been rocked by top 10 guys yes. It's a fight, people get rocked in fights with the exception of Jon Jones as of late.
        Yeah, everyone can get rocked. But just like with other attributes, some is more durable than others. Rashad is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to taking punches of the top guys in his weight.

Rampage, Machida, Fedor and many others have all been KO'd before but that doesn't mean they have suspect chins. It's a fight, stuff happens. It's about what you do after being hurt that counts.
        Sure, but what did Rashad do when getting rocked? You can discount the Machida fight because it's obvious. But how about vs Rampage or Silva?

Back to Phil Davis being the better wrestler. Davis has won 5 bouts in the UFC with only one win coming by stoppage due to submission. He hasn't fought anyone to make you think or confirm that he's a better wrestler than Rashad. Until he does, that's just the way it is.
        He could be a better wrestler than rashad, but i don't think so from what we've seen. (in mma)

It's mostly due to his other game lagging behind (striking notably).

I have Rashad as a big favorite in this fight (and would give him the best chance of all 205's to beat jones), seems like you are misinterpreting me.

Comment

I think Rashad's wrestling is the best in the division. He has a stocky base with good balance. Definitely enough to keep it standing. I think if Davis takes him down it will be from the clinch.

Comment

Davis is in another class in the wrestling department, but whether he can use that or not in an MMA fight is yet to be seen.

Davis is still pretty untested and this is a huge step up for him. Smart money is on Rashad, but Davis is still a live dog imho, although I don't think he wins this one--but he could. If he does so, it'll be because of his wrestling, but it is yet to be seen how well he can utilize it. In answer to you're question, I would say the jury is still out. We should see soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
              Davis is in another class in the wrestling department, but whether he can use that or not in an MMA fight is yet to be seen.

Davis is still pretty untested and this is a huge step up for him. Smart money is on Rashad, but Davis is still a live dog imho, although I don't think he wins this one--but he could. If he does so, it'll be because of his wrestling, but it is yet to be seen how well he can utilize it. In answer to you're question, I would say the jury is still out. We should see soon.
              In my eyes Rashad has superior credentials. He hasn't had a fight outside of top 10 in years and most of his wins he has controlled world class opponents with his wrestling. I'm aware of Davis' wrestling credentials, they're insane.. But again they are both paid to win fights now, not wrestle. So I'd give the edge in wrestling credentials to Rashad for sure.

PS: Hey Nodogoshi, I know you're not a betting man, but I'll do a no points bet that if Phil takes Rashad down it would be from some type of trip.

Comment

As long as Rashad fights smart. He should win. Davis is an awkward guy and when push comes to shove, he will panic take down. So, I hope Rashad stays focused and fights smart.

Comment

I think Rashad takes it, but I don't think it'll be the cake walk that some are predicting. It's been a while since Rashad has faced a live opponent, so I think he might have some early problems with Davis' speed and wrestling, but I don't think Davis has the power to get Rashad outta there if he gets him down and I think Rashad takes him out late.

Just another note, I don't understand why Davis gets so much criticism for the Lil Nog fight, he might not have dominated or stopped him but he solidly beat a really solid veteran, with top level standup and a good ground game. Not a bad win for a guy with only a few serious fights under his belt.
                  Last edited by Rudyo; 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Well, Rashad was definitely the better wrestler tonight.

Comment

Well, Rashad was definitely the better wrestler tonight.
                      Yes he was.

Comment

Working...
                      X