Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “All Access” debut brings megafight into the homestretch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “All Access” debut brings megafight into the homestretch

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - For an instant, I was back in San Antonio.

Or maybe Washington, New York, Los Angeles… or the other six cities on the nine-day itinerary of Showtime’s made-for-publicity Mayweather-Alvarez press tour in late June and early July.

Back then, as the fighters, their traveling parties and other dutiful laborers worked their way to and from venues in time zones across the U.S. and Mexico, the goal was to generate a palpable baseline of chatter for the fight that would carry until the final hard sell began in mid-August.

If the number of message-board posts typically generated by any mention of the match in the mean time is indicative, the early buzz had some staying power. So, when this past Saturday arrived and Showtime finally unveiled its initial installment of “All Access,” the suits in Manhattan had to be pleased.

The homestretch is here, and the pay-per-view brass ring – in this case, the 2.4 million buys generated by Mayweather and arch nemesis Oscar De La Hoya when they met six years ago – is within reach.

When I spoke to Showtime’s Stephen Espinoza at the Miami tour stop and asked if this was the main event to challenge for the all-time title, he played it particularly close to the vest – lauding the past fight’s assets and pointing out myriad factors that make it difficult to reproduce such fervor these days.

“It’s hard to predict where we’ll end up,” he said. “De La Hoya/Mayweather was a perfect storm. Oscar was at the peak. Floyd was just starting to make a lot of noise. You had the perfect good guy/bad guy storyline. It’s hard to replicate that. That may be one of those numbers that isn’t approached again, because of the virtue of technology and the division of the audience’s attention and all kinds of things.”

Of course, the ante has been upped since that steamy day in South Florida. [Click Here To Read More]

It was actually a good episode as opposed to Mayweather vs Guererro All Access. That whole series sucked

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
      It was actually a good episode as opposed to Mayweather vs Guererro All Access. That whole series sucked
      Must be Common

Comment

Originally posted by US Dirk Killer View Post
        Must be Common
        This......

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
          I don't know, man. To each his own, but I found this episode a little boring. Clips of the press tour and a little training footage were shown, both fighters and their trainers said the all right things and that was all.

As cheesy as Guerrero's Mr. Nice Guy act was, that series at least gave us a glimpse into the fighters' lives, and what's more important, insults were exchanged back and forth. And I know most fans disagree, but I found Guerrero's father very amusing. He was a likeable goof that sometimes took things a little too far, not the raging nutcase Angel Garcia is.

Comment

Was really excited to see how the Barry Pepper thing would work out. Little bit disappointing but he was ok. Seemed like he was trying to sound like Liev Schrieber and the overall production was a patent ripoff of 24/7. They used the Canon 5D Mark iii and it looked like ass. I had a bad feeling about that when I saw them using them at the press conference in LA. Horrible decision. The whole thing was a letdown.

Comment

yeah the episode was crap, full of fluff. The best part was probably Floyd Sr. singing punch drunk rhymes for no reason at all.

Comment

I thought it was OK. Canelos a little more interesting than Guerrero. I never knew he had a daughter or anything like that. Im happy anytime I find out new information.

Comment

I personally thought episode 1 was pretty boring. Seems like they recycled old footage we've already seen, and the narrators voice was jus turrible. His monotonic voice bout put me to sleep! Common was a much better narrator if you ask me.
                  Last edited by koolbreez12; 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I think that for the average fan this was a good show cause im sure not everybody kept up with the pictures from each of the city tours so to get to see it on tv in hd instead of on the computer was a good thing. I do hope that the next episodes have more trash talk and more training. 3 more weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X