Gegard Mousasi: "IT'S NOT A JIU-JITSU FIGHT"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gegard Mousasi: "IT'S NOT A JIU-JITSU FIGHT"

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...9180&zoneid=13

Gegard Mousasi has plenty of options when he faces Renato “Babalu” Sobral at Affliction “Trilogy” in on Aug. 1.

The Iranian-born resident of the Netherlands believes it’s important to fight opponents at their weakest points. In his last showing at Dream 9, against Mark Hunt, he did just that, taking the giant striker down and cinching a quick submission. Against brawler Melvin Manhoef… the same.

Backed by a 12-win streak, the strategy has worked so far. Slowly but surely, he has climbed into consideration as one of the top fighters in the world.

The prudent option is to keep Babalu on his feet – their stand-up credentials aren’t in the same league. On the ground, Babalu has the clear advantage.

Mousasi realizes that at some point, the action will hit the mat. The former UFC contender likes to draw strikers in by exchanging just enough to prompt a takedown. But Mousasi isn’t afraid of the Brazilian’s submission skills.

“I think (if) he underestimates me on the ground, he will be surprised,” said Mousasi. “People have taken me down and (opponents) think it’s easy to take me down. We’ll see. It’s a fight. It’s not a jiu-jitsu fight. I’m going to punch him.”

Mousasi is an example of the modern day MMA fighter. 1 dimensional fighters being champs is a thing of the past. You've got to have excellent stand up as well as an excellent ground game to be a champ right now.

Comment

Is he iranian ? I thought he was armenian.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto Rules View Post
        Is he iranian ? I thought he was armenian.
        Nice to see, as I do not see many Iranians in MMA or boxing. I actually don't care where a fighter is from as long as he performs, but I personally value diversity, if you will.

Comment

He is Armenian but he was born in Iran

Comment

Iranians have bad ass wrestlers and power lifters. It could be possible to see good MMA fighters from their country.
            I didn't know Mousasi is from the armenian community of Iran. He's like Andre Agassi.

Mousasi is in my opinion the number 2 middleweight in the world. He proved himself against top notch opposition and i can see him beating the likes of Marquardt, Maia or Franklin. Too bad he wants to fight at 205. I hope he can beat Babalu cause Babalu winning makes no sense at all. Babalu is no more a big name at LHW, i mean he's still dangerous but not a top ten anymore.

Mousasi by UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto Rules View Post
              Iranians have bad ass wrestlers and power lifters. It could be possible to see good MMA fighters from their country.
              I didn't know Mousasi is from the armenian community of Iran. He's like Andre Agassi.

Mousasi is in my opinion the number 2 middleweight in the world. He proved himself against top notch opposition and i can see him beating the likes of Marquardt, Maia or Franklin. Too bad he wants to fight at 205. I hope he can beat Babalu cause Babalu winning makes no sense at all. Babalu is no more a big name at LHW, i mean he's still dangerous but not a top ten anymore.

Mousasi by UD.
              I read an interview in which Mousasi says he can no longer make 185. He could be just saying that, however he did tip the scales at like 215 his last fight.

Comment

Working...
              X