Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martinez not losing it...Just fought lazy fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankly, I remember thinking - despite the domination - that Martinez looked to be obviously fading even when he destroyed Chavez Jr. I think the fact he won 11/12 rounds is incredible, but also had a lot to do with Chavez Jr's own incredible slowness and lack of ability. Don't get me wrong, he did some great work, but he just didn't look quite as sharp as he has in recent years.

I'm a big Martinez fan, but he's achieved super-stardom already, and injuries in every fight will only compound his problems. I'd like to see him wind his career down and not take any big risks at this point. He's a great fighter, but age will take its toll on a style like his.

Comment

He didn't choose to fight like that. He definitely was not the same guy who flies around the ring with fast hands and legs last night. Hopefully after along rest and recovery he will be closer to it...but he may have turned a page in his career with all his recent problems. Hard to believe the Chavez fight was only 7-8 months ago...he was smoking fast then.

Comment

Nah, he looked faded. His reflexes were awful.

Comment

totally disagree. a more active murray would have ko'd martinez. this was in front of his countrymen, now way in hell he fights "lazy."

his age is finally showing. sergio is done as an elite fighter. he was physically outmatched in that fight.

Comment

Didn't this fight use open scoring? Martinez knew he was up going into the last few rounds and didn't take any chances.
            I think if they had correctly called the knockdown he would have gone for it as it would have been a closer fight then.

Comment

I agree I feel like he was trying to entertain his home fans and trying to get him to open up but to his credit Murray fought a very smart fight showed great composure he really impressed me

Comment

Working...
              X