No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Anatomy of Another Texas Travesty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Anatomy of Another Texas Travesty

by David P. Greisman - It was nowhere near the first controversy to come from a boxing match in Texas. And it is far from the last that will come, at this rate.

Disqualifying Carlos Molina — and designating James Kirkland the winner — was just another injustice in a long line of them. This year is not even a fourth of the way through, and already it has been the year of the Texas travesty.

This is a state that failed to drug test Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. before his February fight with Marco Antonio Rubio.

This is the state that in the same month allowed Shawn Estrada to fight after weighing in 17 pounds over the light heavyweight limit.

This is not the only athletic commission with highly questionable judges’ decisions, but it is a state where they happen noticeably often.

This year alone, Tavoris Cloud won a split decision over Gabriel Campillo in a fight most thought Campillo won; Nonito Donaire had to settle for a split decision against Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. in a fight everyone saw Donaire clearly winning; and one judge amazingly had Kirkland ahead of Molina at the time of the disqualification Saturday, which would be a stunning statement if not for whose scorecard that was. [Click Here To Read More]

I have no sympathy for Molina. His tactics were diabolical. The only thing worse than his tactics - which relied on repeated violations of the rules - was the officiating. Apparently the referee is there just to watch for the corner entering the ring. Anything else was legal that night.

The holding down of Kirkland's head then kidney punching him was so blatant it was hilarious. Kirkland was in such disbelief that he stood up, looked at the referee, who just gazed emptily back as Molina did a Mayweather and sucker punched a bemused Kirkland. It was so bad it was comical. Molina got what he deserved, a DQ. That it was for a benign reason that was not justified just added to the farcical nature of the fight.

If you're going to hold, spoil, bore your head, use your elbows, then you get whats coming. That performance makes the dirty tactics of Hopkins, Hatton, Mayweather (and his elbows), Ruiz, etc look like kiddy play. It was disgraceful.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieg View Post
      I have no sympathy for Molina. His tactics were diabolical. The only thing worse than his tactics - which relied on repeated violations of the rules - was the officiating. Apparently the referee is there just to watch for the corner entering the ring. Anything else was legal that night.

The holding down of Kirkland's head then kidney punching him was so blatant it was hilarious. Kirkland was in such disbelief that he stood up, looked at the referee, who just gazed emptily back as Molina did a Mayweather and sucker punched a bemused Kirkland. It was so bad it was comical. Molina got what he deserved, a DQ. That it was for a benign reason that was not justified just added to the farcical nature of the fight.

If you're going to hold, spoil, bore your head, use your elbows, then you get whats coming. That performance makes the dirty tactics of Hopkins, Hatton, Mayweather (and his elbows), Ruiz, etc look like kiddy play. It was disgraceful.
      Agree. Holding, pushing, using your head and leaning on a guy pretty much in every round is mad crazy. :nut kick: he deserve the DQ. My problem with james, letting a smaller guy pushing him around. Like letting a reciever push a center around in football.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieg View Post

Agreed. Nothing to add except that I think Kirkland was still going to pull out the win by ko or tko. Molina was exhausted and his legs shot.

Comment

how is TX commish Dickie Cole appointed??most states by the governor or state attorney general...these offices need to remove him, his terrible son, ref Laurence Cole and Judge Garcia, and all other corrupt individuals...who knows what deals are made under the table, as evidenced as what's happened the past few yrs...these "officials" need to be replaced & never to return. The worst commission in boxing and a disgrace...

Comment

lol they keep coming...Texas boxing travesty, Washington boxing travesty, California boxing travesty... American boxing travesty, no?

because I'm certain sure it would be called a German, Finnish, Canadian, Ukrainian, British, [insert country here] boxing travesty elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
              lol they keep coming...Texas boxing travesty, Washington boxing travesty, California boxing travesty... American boxing travesty, no?

because I'm certain sure it would be called a German, Finnish, Canadian, Ukrainian, British, [insert country here] boxing travesty elsewhere
              State athletic commissions vs. National athletic commissions.

-David
              facebook.com/fightingwordsboxing
              twitter.com/fightingwords2

Comment

I don't have a real problem with the call. If it's a rule then it should be enforced. You can't really fault the commission or the ref. I am sure it is not the call he wanted to make. The corner should have know better. It was certainly a hard pill to swallow, but the corner clearly violated the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen_Fighter View Post
                  I don't have a real problem with the call. If it's a rule then it should be enforced. You can't really fault the commission or the ref. I am sure it is not the call he wanted to make. The corner should have know better. It was certainly a hard pill to swallow, but the corner clearly violated the rule.
                  Did it? The bell had rung. The inspectors allowed him up. Everyone was obviously confused by the bell ringing when it did... nor did the corner's entrance interfere or help Molina.

If Mayweather-Judah didn't need to end as a disqualification, neither did this.

-David
                  facebook.com/fightingwordsboxing
                  twitter.com/fightingwords2

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X