Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this one of the best times to be a boxing fan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Random_Boxer View Post
    Lots of great upcoming HW's today
    like????????????

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
      I'm a old mofo and 3rd generation boxing fan so i remember boxing in the 70's, and to me the late 70's early 80's was the best time to be a boxing fan with all of the great fighters and great fights on free tv.
      That's right. Boxing attracted crowds in arenas and in front of the TV. This is unthinkable now.

Comment

Yes, I think so. A lot of talent all across the divisions. A lot of exciting fighters. Times are as good as ever for boxing fans.

Comment

I'd much prefer the first half of the 20th Century. Gans, Greb, Pep, Armstrong, Langford, Charles, etc.

Comment

You're not a real boxing fan unless you tear down the current generation and pine for the good old days that you never watched.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              And I am just asking what makes this era better than the 00's then? You look at some of the champions in america today like Broner and Ward. When Ward fought the biggest fight of his career against Froch there was less than 5 thousand in the arena. Broner rarely sells more than 3k. I just don't see what's so exciting about this era compared to the last one.

That's what I was wondering.
              It seems like the elite boxers in the 00's had more charisma or superstar aura about them, and a bunch of them happened to be from 147-160 and fought some highly anticipated, memorable fights. Oscar, Trinidad, Mosely, Vargas, and then add Hopkins and mayorga into that mix towards the end. Plus Roy jones jr. Completely dominating in his prime, Floyd was coming up, Holyfield was still making noise, and Lennox Lewis generated some excitment too. Then you throw in the occasional gatti-ward or morales-Barrera in and you've got some consistent excitement happening.

Nowadays it seems like guys dont have that same charisma, but I've seen some excellent fights. For example, I heard that Timothy Bradley was a bum who got a gift decision against PAC and after watching the bradley-provdnikov fight, the guy totally won me over and both him and Provo are now 2 guys I'm very excited about watching again. Not much charisma though, just a ton of heart and warrior sprit. Victor Ortiz vs Berto was the same thing, no star power for victor imo but he was so determined, aggressive and had no quit that I couldn't help but be entertained and really like the guy after. Same with Alvarado, rios, Froch, Kessler, Garcia didn't back down against Khan, and the list goes on. Im pretty excited about these guys nowadays tbh, it seems like there's a ton of real warriors with no quit who are fairly close in skill level and put on good fights.

Comment

Nope!!! 80's & 90's... This is by far the WORST time to be a boxing fan.

BS fights on ppv
                The "elite" won't fight each other
                It's accepted to make road blocks & duck fighters
                The 2 top promotions in boxing won't work together to give fans what we want
                Now networks have beefs
                The list goes on & on...
                Oh & it's never been a normal thing to cherry pick & come up with outrageous requirements for one fighter to fight another.
                Last but not least we were robed from allot of great fights due to the reasons I listed above.
                Last edited by lx!!; 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X