No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: John Scully Discusses The Split With Chad Dawson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
    If the 168 Champion isn't interested in moving up in weight at the moment and wants to keep defending his Title, but was called out by the Champion of a heavier weight class, then why should he move up?
    No one said he had to move up to 175, merely that he refused to meet Dawson halfway.

I don't think it did either fighter a great deal of good really.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 01-11-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
      If the 168 Champion isn't interested in moving up in weight at the moment and wants to keep defending his Title, but was called out by the Champion of a heavier weight class, then why should he move up?

Now if Ward was the one doing the calling out, it would be another story. Then it's his responsibility to move up and face the champion at his weight class and try to become a 2-Division World Champion. But that wasn't the case. Maybe they will meet again once Ward is done unifying at 168, and if Dawson is still the Champion at 175 (A big IF).
      The proper protocol is debatable... all I said was there was an offer made, and refused by Ward. Yes I wouldn't mind seeing Chad vs Ward at LHW. We'd discover alot about Chad in that fight. All we discovered in the first fight was he was weight drained and shouldn't have agreed to the fight to begin with. So, let's see what an A game Dawson can do vs Ward. I think it would be a close fight, either way.

Comment

Any time you ever watch Chad fight, no matter who the trainer in the corner was, you ALWAYS see them BEGGING Chad to throw punches - and he just sits there looking through them like they don't know what they're talking about. Doesn't matter who trains him, he might as well just hire a sock puppet because he doesn't listen anyway. To be honest, I give more respect to a trainer like Scully when I hear them in the corner giving the fighter the what for and keeping it real then a trainer who sits there and says "you're doing good, just do a little more for me next round pretty please." I was glad to hear John saying the things he said to him in the corner, you know damn well it's what the fans watching were yelling at their TV screens "THROW SOME DAMN PUNCHES CHAD!!!!" It always cracks me up too, when the end of the fight comes and they act like they're shocked that they lost (not neccessarily the Ward loss).... it just goes to show you that they really are lost in la-la land and looking for someone else besides themselves to blame.

Comment

Meh Dawsons a quitter. He's lucky he got by Hopkins and that's only because he was 48 years old. Probably older the his trainer scully is. Dirty or not he took a beating in that fight though. He was all busted up after. I thought he was gonna cry in the post fight interview. Scully's the man though. Dawsons loss.

Comment

Haha that 7 wives comment was hilarious. Scully's a great trainer he'll be better off without having to deal with a guy like that.

Comment

PS: Just to clarify, many people seem to believe that trainers of fighters spend 24 hours hours a day in camp thinking about the fight, preparing for the fight, focusing on the fight...its like with anything else..u need to relax, there is downtime...one of thee jokers, area hater LOL, commented that I should focus on the fight an not do other stuff, like post on internet etc LOL listen u nitwit, I know big time trainers who spend hours in camp golfing, going to bars, etc...the gym is the gym, free time is free time...I dont drink, go to clubs, bars, etc...I use my downtime to write about boxing history, much of it I post on line for all to see...so relax with the criticism...dont watch too many movies or just draw ur own unfounded conclusions about what training is or is supposed to be like...preparation was done, period. But the problems that came from it could have been avoided, DEFINITELY

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
                Chad Dawson isn't a young fighter anymore. He has to take responsibility for his own shortcomings and stop trying to unload them onto other people. From what I read John Skully is a good trainer and gave Dawson a sound gameplan vs Hopkins (his biggest win). The real matter is that Dawson isn't a great fighter nor among the best in the world. He's a B competitor - his losses to Pascal and Ward confirm this.

If Dawson wants to remain relevant he needs to stop chopping and changing his camps and recognise his own limitations. Losses as a pro are inevitable. Trainers can't fight for you. At 30 he really needs to settle into a more strict training routine and really heed the advice and experience of guys like Skully before the losses begin to stack up.

The fact that he sent his brother in to Skully's room to address a problem in camp displays his lack of respect for his trainer and his immaturity as a person. If he can't grow up outside the ring, he will suffer in it.
                He switched trainers 10 times, before he hired Floyd Sr. he already had five different trainers, Floyd Sr was his 6th one. It's not that he's limited, switching trainers every year has a huge effect on a fighter. Andre Ward would not be the boxer he is today if he switched trainers 10 times, neither would W.Klitscho, Pacquiao. All three have a stable team that they know and can depend on.

Every trainer is different, they want Chad fighting a certain way, a certain style, he needs to stick with one style. He was obviously at his most effective with Floyd Sr who made him use a lot of lateral movement, boxing and moving, and teeing off the jab. But Chad is not going to hire him again, there is too much friction between the two, and Floyd Sr is the type of person who will create tension. Steward was probably the other trainer that can elevate Dawson's game, but Chad fired him after one fight, and now Steward is dead.

But you are right though his career decisions, his lack of accountability, his disrespect for his trainers has seriously effected his performance in the ring. And now he's fighting Pascal, who he shouldn't be fighting because he is a risk. The Ward fight was a dumb risk. Tony Bellew would have been a better opponent.
                Last edited by Boxingwizard; 01-12-2013, 03:36 AM.

Comment

I think John said it best. He isn't the best trainer or the worst but he knows his sh it. As for Chad I feel sorry for him.
                  Hey John in ur experience why is it so hard for a fighter to admit the truth?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                    I think John said it best. He isn't the best trainer or the worst but he knows his sh it. As for Chad I feel sorry for him.
                    Hey John in ur experience why is it so hard for a fighter to admit the truth?
                    For the record. I HAVE ALWAYS stressed to Chad that he is a BOXER and that he should use his gifts and skills...that isnt something that Mayweather Sr. came up with all on his own, Ive been telling that to Chad since I first trained him in 2004. But the fact is after a lot of criticism and also getting more physically mature, etc, a boxer wants to bang it out a bit more, wants to prove himself...but its foolish...a guy with his skills should USE THEM. I always always wanted him to stay with that but I think he felt that he needed to change his style to be more exciting but thats not him, and my ideas fell on deaf ears this last camp. It is what it is. If Chad maintained his BOXING MINDSET he would be very difficult for ANYONE to beat him.

As far as admitting the truth, its just the fighters way LOL An active fighter definitely has a differentand unique, all his own way of thinking. After you retire and look back on things you realize...hindsight is DEFINITELY 20-20!!

Comment

the Iceman laying the smackdown in this thread

Comment

Working...
                      X