No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Real Comeback of Andre Ward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
    Who did he beat at lightheavy in the AM's? Anyone good?

ward was the us national champion in 2001 and 2003 then jumped to lightheavyweight for olympic qualifiers

Other than 2004 Athens Olympics, Ward didn't participate any other major international tournament, but his results in Athens were impressive.

He didn't have to compete in the first round of the tournament because he won the 2nd place on the American 2004 Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Second round - He defeated Clemente Russo 17-9. Russo was just a newcomer prospect at the time, but he achieved much success in his later amateur career, moving up to HW and winning 2 World gold medals (2007, 2013) and 2 Olympic silver medals (2008, 2012). Like I said, he wasn't anything more than a new prospect at the time he fought Ward, but he still went to achieve great things later.

Quarterfinals - He defeated Yevgeny Makarenko 23-16. This was probably the best name he defeated in the amateurs. Prior to the fight, Makarenko was the 2-time World amateur champion (2001, 2003) and the #1 favorite to win the tournament. He was also a 2-time European champion and had much more experience than Ward at that level and it was a major surprise when Ward pulled it out.

Semifinals - He defeated Utkirbek Haydarov 17-15. It was a razor close fight. Haydarov was also a former World champion from 1999, silver medalist from 2001 championships and gold medalist from Asian games in 2002. He also went to win a World championships bronze medal on the next tournament.

Final - He defeated Magomed Aripgadjiev 20-13. Aripgadjiev was silver medalist from 2003 World championships (lost to Makarenko) and a top 3 favorite heading into the tournament.

So to sum it, in his very short amateur career on the world stage, Andre Ward managed to defeat pretty much every reputed light heavyweight.

Comment

"A lot of people forget this and he won his gold medal outside of his natural weight class...he turned pro below 168 and fought at or near middleweight early in his career"

I don't think this is correct.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that the amateur and pro weight classes don't correspond directly and the difference between the 'one-off' pro fights and amateur tournaments that include multiple fights over several days.

An amateur LHW weights up to 170 pounds and because there are several fights in the Olympics or Worlds this has to be pretty close to his real fighting weight because he can't repeatedly lose 10 pounds and put in on again during the course of a tournament. This is why it is fair to point out that Ward fought at LHW as an amateur but it isn't as if he fought at 175 weigh in then 185 on fight night.

I don't believe that Ward ever fought 'at or near MW early in his career.' If anyone can show me evidence of this I'm listening but I've never seen any evidence of it. Ward is a big SMW who is moving up. He moved from 170 fighting weight to win his Olympic Gold and never fought at 160, he went straight to 168 which as by far the most natural move for hi.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        ward was the us national champion in 2001 and 2003 then jumped to lightheavyweight for olympic qualifiers

Other than 2004 Athens Olympics, Ward didn't participate any other major international tournament, but his results in Athens were impressive.

He didn't have to compete in the first round of the tournament because he won the 2nd place on the American 2004 Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Second round - He defeated Clemente Russo 17-9. Russo was just a newcomer prospect at the time, but he achieved much success in his later amateur career, moving up to HW and winning 2 World gold medals (2007, 2013) and 2 Olympic silver medals (2008, 2012). Like I said, he wasn't anything more than a new prospect at the time he fought Ward, but he still went to achieve great things later.

Quarterfinals - He defeated Yevgeny Makarenko 23-16. This was probably the best name he defeated in the amateurs. Prior to the fight, Makarenko was the 2-time World amateur champion (2001, 2003) and the #1 favorite to win the tournament. He was also a 2-time European champion and had much more experience than Ward at that level and it was a major surprise when Ward pulled it out.

Semifinals - He defeated Utkirbek Haydarov 17-15. It was a razor close fight. Haydarov was also a former World champion from 1999, silver medalist from 2001 championships and gold medalist from Asian games in 2002. He also went to win a World championships bronze medal on the next tournament.

Final - He defeated Magomed Aripgadjiev 20-13. Aripgadjiev was silver medalist from 2003 World championships (lost to Makarenko) and a top 3 favorite heading into the tournament.

So to sum it, in his very short amateur career on the world stage, Andre Ward managed to defeat pretty much every reputed light heavyweight.
        I thought Ward hadn't lost since he was 12?

Comment

I think 14 or 15

still over half his lifetime ago

Comment

may have been a typo....it was 1998 against John Revish

Comment

If Ward struggles with Barerra I don't see the fight with him vs Kov happening this year. He will suffer some sort of "injury" and postpone it till next year if he fights him at all.

Comment

A real living legend like Ward apparently is should not even need a tuneup.

Comment

Originally posted by petegrif View Post
                  "A lot of people forget this and he won his gold medal outside of his natural weight class...he turned pro below 168 and fought at or near middleweight early in his career"

I don't think this is correct.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that the amateur and pro weight classes don't correspond directly and the difference between the 'one-off' pro fights and amateur tournaments that include multiple fights over several days.

An amateur LHW weights up to 170 pounds and because there are several fights in the Olympics or Worlds this has to be pretty close to his real fighting weight because he can't repeatedly lose 10 pounds and put in on again during the course of a tournament. This is why it is fair to point out that Ward fought at LHW as an amateur but it isn't as if he fought at 175 weigh in then 185 on fight night.

I don't believe that Ward ever fought 'at or near MW early in his career.' If anyone can show me evidence of this I'm listening but I've never seen any evidence of it. Ward is a big SMW who is moving up. He moved from 170 fighting weight to win his Olympic Gold and never fought at 160, he went straight to 168 which as by far the most natural move for hi.
                  If i recall he started his career at around 160 then he moved up after about 5 fights

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                    after that fight, KOvalev will comment that he was surprised how strong Ward was.....
                    yes that is why mental ward takes PED's

Comment

Andre Ward has lost many millions thru stupidity

Andre ward has squandered his career over mismanagement over self worth and over inflating Ward's importance to boxing which is nothing. Clueless and Vain the arrogant Andre Ward has lost his career and peak earning days as a fighter. Ever since ward and Dirrell refuse to fight each other in the Super Six it's been downhill for both of these clueless misguided ill advised lost kids. Sad no one is there to help this Ward with sound business career advice and direction. That's the problem with the ghetto warriors they have no one telling them what to do and how to do it the right way. It's over for Ward as there are no fans no nothing. Great to see.

Comment

Working...
                      X