Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How powerful was lennox lewis right hand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steward's track record is to big up whoever he's currently training. I remember Steward bigging up some pug he was training saying he was better than Tommy Hearns. Right Manny.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Steward's track record is to big up whoever he's currently training. I remember Steward bigging up some pug he was training saying he was better than Tommy Hearns. Right Manny.

Poet

Correct. Stewart also said Lewis was the best heavyweight in history in terms of talent. He also claimed Andy Lee was the next big thing at 160 and got the better of Wlad in sparring. I think it's all hyperbole/BS but some people are selective about what they choose to believe if it benefits a fighter they like.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
        Allot of pundits say it was the equalizer. I would say that also, anyone he touched with it would go away or they would not engage and be weary of the right hand. Allot of people proclaim Lennox's Jab to be one of the best in heavyweight history, so good in fact the boxers he fought would be so concerned with the left hand they would forget is was just a ploy to set up the right.

I've watched Lewis's entire career, and his pairing with Steward brought out the best in him. His "killer instinct" in the ring was great also. Even though he has loses all of his loses when avenged by KO or one sided drubbing (in the case of Evander Holyfield though the second bout was closer)

When hurt he could fire it off, and if it landed, the fight was over. If Ernie Shavers was the hardest hitting HW being a 10 lennox's right hand would be an 9 imo coupled with a jab that was a 8 (if Ali's was 10) that's a very decisive and destructive pairing.

Side note: Lennox Lewis hand a devastating inside right Uppercut. At times would catapult his opponents head into the air because of the sheer power and leverage he could gain in such a short range of motion.

Yes top 10 I would go as far as top 3 or 4.
        I thought he should have lost to Ray Mercer

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
          I believe that Emanuel is far more knowledgeable than the guys here.

I really doubt he would state something just to keep his income - for sure it's not hard for him do gain money. Lennox was a hell of puncher but same as Emanuel I believe Wlad is a bigger puncher. Note that Emanuel knows these two fighters better than anybody else.
          Looks like you're outnumbered here, bud.

Comment

Manny Stewart also said that Prince Nasseem was one of the greatest ogf all time when he was training him for teh Barrera fight so i think we need to take everything he says with a pinch of salt especially if he is training the fighter at the time

Comment

Greater than the klitscko thats for sure.

Comment

Very solid right hand, and versatile enough, for he could also hurt opponents with his uppercut.

As for the comparison with Wlad. According to Maloney, Price’s right hand KO punch is better than Lennox Lewis'.

People believe what they want to believe.
                Last edited by B-Bomber; 10-22-2012, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno View Post
                  Powerful... Stewart says that wlads hits harder then Lewis though.
                  But couldnt ko Haye? Makes me wonder did Wlad land any punches on haye that night?

But Lennox had great power, when he hit you his opponents didnt seem to be able to last similar to Tyson in his prime. As well as the boxing ability that is why Lennox is right up there.
                  Suprised when that white eastern european heavyweight took Lennox the distance in Lennoxs heyday

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                    I believe that Emanuel is far more knowledgeable than the guys here.

I really doubt he would state something just to keep his income - for sure it's not hard for him do gain money. Lennox was a hell of puncher but same as Emanuel I believe Wlad is a bigger puncher. Note that Emanuel knows these two fighters better than anybody else.
                    Hmmm then you really don't know Emmanuel Steward very well....

Comment

I think Lewis' right hand was up there with Foreman's, Shavers', and Tyson's. Funnily enough, his left had wasn't, at least in terms of power. He had a very good jab.

Comment

Working...
                      X