Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Thomas Hearns would beat Floyd so easily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy vs Michael is a long way from Tommy's best! That fight weighed Tommy in at 168 (super middle) and fighting at 180lbs, not 147lbs.

Floyd fans are the least knowledgeable next to Wlad fans I've heard. They are blind to the facts that higher skills mean offense and defense not just defense!
    You saw Madiana's right hands bother Floyd in their first fight and he was hurt a few times too. Madiana is a club fighter compared to Hearns. The difference of power is immense also.

Whatever talking to this guy about this subject is a waste of time.
    nite all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
      Fantasy fights always take for granted that the very best version always turns up , real life is not like that and thats why fantasy fights are a crock of sht that are more about fans likes and dislikes than anything else .

I feel Tommy would get the win on size as Ive stated but looking through his fight videos I would bet good money Floyd would beat this Hearns if thats what turned up .

Watch all of this fight and then note Olajide is no where near as slick as Mayweather , I dont think a fight with Floyd is as one sided for Tommy as you guy like to put out .

An old 168lb Hearns in 1990 is the best argument for Floyd anyone can muster??

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        The odds of Floyd doing that are not as good as the odds of Hearns controlling Floyd from the outside, as someone mentioned as an argument for Floyd, his best chance is to actually be aggressive, but I don't think he could pull that off either. This has nothing to do with Nostalgia, some people here don't know what they are talking about, but quite a few have put up valid arguments as to how and why Hearns would win. As I said in my original post I think it would be a chess match, but a chess match where Floyd just has too many disadvantages, or a better way to put it is that the disadvantages that he has are too much to overcome. He would definitely have success and win rounds, maybe 3, but anything more than that I find far fetched with their respective styles. I think if you asked Floyd Snr and Roger they would probably pick Hearns too, and remember they think and in fact all 3 brothers think Floyd whips Leonard.

You want to talk about ring generalship? Being a ring general against Cotto, Pacquiao, and Berto is not the same as being a ring general against Hearns at WW. Hearns would take centre ring and Floyd would struggle big time to impose himself, first of all there is a HUGE height and reach disadvantage, but more importantly Hearns knew how to maximise it. He could box, he had fast feet, fast hands, great fundamentals, Floyd would have to put himself out of position against Hearns, and at times I can see it looking similar to Haye and Klistchko. Not all the time, because Mayweather has better footwork and better fundamentals to Haye, but a bit like that at times. When you have a guy who is that good at fighting at his range you need something to take him out of that. Hearns is a KO threat in any round as well and that can't be overlooked when you are considering the likely scenarios. I actually think Floyd has a better chance against Leonard, Duran, and Hagler! The last pick might surprise people, but Hagler was not the biggest Middleweight and I think Floyd could outbox him.

Hearns is the worst match up for him. As I said in my original post - one thing which I also think people overlook in this match up is Manny Steward. He is a great tactician and he reads fights like no one I have seen in boxing. Hearns definitely had the better corner and thats just another thing for Floyd to contend with, its a nightmare match up for him, it really is.
        best response. i wrote damn near the same exact thang but it seems none of the people actually look at PHYSICAL ADVANTAGES and look at THEORETICAL HYPOTHETICALS in order to give mayweather some kind of advantage. just didnt feel like respondin' no more to ppl who just dont get it. i have a VERY LOW tolerance for illogical responses.
        best comment so far in this thread.
        all you have to do is look at mayweathers opponents out of 49 how many had a "reach AND height" advantage over him?
        and thats just basic fundamental talk on top of the fact that hearns is a NATURAL WELTERWEIGHT and mayweather could never "counter" him from that range of 6 inches and 5 inches up also people dont realize that when you punch UP it tires you out more and there is sooooo much more i can detail but will only open up with those who present logical responses

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
          Give it up ......floyd is just to small to ever last with hearns....the reason why floyd done ok as a welterweight is because he moved up with the other fighters ..mosley,Oscar,guerrero,marquez,pacquaio, Maidana, cotto....they all moved up....there not natural welterweights.....who else is there ....oh there's ortiz...do me a favour reloaded......thomas hearns was almost 6ft'2 ..78'inch reach...he had power that carried up to light heavyweight for Christ sake.....thomas hearns is on a completely different sphere to a floyd mayweather jnr.....it's only fanboys who think he could last with hearns
          logical conclusion

Comment

• Hearns is so underrated still smh. Wouldn't place him higher than Floyd all-time but at 147 his footwork, quicks, power and beautiful jab would be too much for the smaller Mayweather to overcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Hearns is so underrated still smh. Wouldn't place him higher than Floyd all-time but at 147 his footwork, quicks, power and beautiful jab would be too much for the smaller Mayweather to overcome.
              That's a fair enough answer....Floyd has proved himself ATG and his record is amazing he was just not big enough to beat hearns or a Leonard ..there's no shame in it he is just smaller.....it's like saying kovalev beats Tyson

Comment

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Because styles make fights and this is the worst type of matchup you could give Floyd.
                Beat me to it.

Tommy went up to cruiserweight and still had power.
                Hearns was deadly within the 1st 3 rounds, if he landed clean, you were usually on the mat. Floyd would have nothing to keep him honest, just too small for the hitman.
                Early KO would be the result, prime for prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackSoul View Post
                  best response. i wrote damn near the same exact thang but it seems none of the people actually look at PHYSICAL ADVANTAGES and look at THEORETICAL HYPOTHETICALS in order to give mayweather some kind of advantage. just didnt feel like respondin' no more to ppl who just dont get it. i have a VERY LOW tolerance for illogical responses.
                  best comment so far in this thread.
                  all you have to do is look at mayweathers opponents out of 49 how many had a "reach AND height" advantage over him?
                  and thats just basic fundamental talk on top of the fact that hearns is a NATURAL WELTERWEIGHT and mayweather could never "counter" him from that range of 6 inches and 5 inches up also people dont realize that when you punch UP it tires you out more and there is sooooo much more i can detail but will only open up with those who present logical responses
                  Listen you're not taking the bar exam here. All this logical and illogical talk. What this thread is about is a fantasy fight. Height and Reach? I told you that is debunked by me applying Tyson (Fury), it's as simple as that, your original point was illogical.

You can waffle as much as you want but I stick ro my opinion that Tommy will get schooled and you stick to yours. Your OPIONION is not a FACT however many people agree. This is a hypothetical match up they haven't actually fought you know. You're ridiculing me for stating the best defensive boxer YOU have ever seen would take your boy to school. You really couldn't make this s*it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    on NSB, posters think ghost, Manny, Canelo, Mosley etc would beat Floyd easily as well.
                    Unlike the handicaps that the above had before they stepped in the ring with Floyd, "I'm quite sure we are talking about a full fledged healthy and primed Hearns".

Not one that had to jump several divisions after a long layoff and only had couple of fights against very clearly questionable WW.

Not one that had to wait 5+ years to get the fight when he was no longer prime, required surgery on his left shoulder, couldn't get an approved shot while Floyd was doing and taking anything he wanted even if it was not approved before the fight.

Not one who was still wet around the ears, had to drain himself down causing his only advantage to be a disadvantage, flat footed, low work rate, stamina issues.....

Not one who was old, out of prime, not active, .....

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Hearns is so underrated still smh.
                      Indeed. His two biggest (perhaps only) problems were not backing down or protecting himself when hurt, and being in an era where he was fighting some of the all time greats. I'm not one of these guys who discredits modern fighters but I have to think Hears would dominate today, in a number of weight classes. He was the physical prototype for the ideal boxer, and Stewart trained.

Comment

Working...
                      X