Floyd can't believe Ward is #4 p4p

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
    We'll never know.

Just like we'll never know if the public would have taken more to him if he didn't create the villain persona for himself.
    Look at de la hoya
    He raped an underage girl
    Did coke
    Cross dressed
    And he kept all his endorsements

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
      Look at de la hoya
      He raped an underage girl
      Did coke
      Cross dressed
      And he kept all his endorsements
      Oscar worked on his public image. Whether he was a saint or not.

Floyd went out of his way to be the villain.

Hence why he wasn't adored. Not because of racism.

Find another tree to bark up.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
        We'll never know.

Just like we'll never know if the public would have taken more to him if he didn't create the villain persona for himself.
        whats your opinion?. You don't believe a white man at the top of his sport for 10+ years would have endorsements out the ass?

Comment

There IS an abundance of racism that pervades boxing (especially among its fandom). Andre Ward being number 4 on the P4P list isn't one of them lol.

Comment

Oscar worked on his public image. Whether he was a saint or not.

Floyd went out of his way to be the villain.

Hence why he wasn't adored. Not because of racism.
            Someone also could point out that Oscar in fact, is also not white. So maybe people tend to forgive him because of the fact that he comes across as a friendly, nice guy and not a jerk.

You don't believe a white man at the top of his sport for 10+ years would have endorsements out the ass?
            We had just had a white, good looking, educated Heavyweight Champion of the world for 10+ years and no one in America cared. Other than that hot actress he married.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMayFan View Post
              whats your opinion?. You don't believe a white man at the top of his sport for 10+ years would have endorsements out the ass?
              My opinion is that if you can make Nike or whoever money they will endorse you regardless of skin colour.

What's your opinion on my view that if Floyd took steps to endear himself to the public rather than the direct opposite - would he be more liked?

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                How do ukno the people he is fighting aren't good? Or does GGG just make them not look good?
                This isn't far off. GGG is a more dominant 160 champ than Ward is a 168 (who rarely fights). I think extrenely highly of Ward but heaven forbid a non latino or black fighter gets credit. Look at Wlad.... It took a loss from him to have the HW div be "interesting" all of a sudden. From one day to another.

Conor is doing his thing in his league. He's a pasty ass white irish guy fighting in an american league (ufc is a league not sport) in a division that had been dominated since it's inception by a Brazilian guy. You didnt think he'd be popular? He's got a great personality to sell (some might not find him funny but he's consistent). He doesn't isolate himself from the masses by being a total s hitbag outside the ring ala Floyd. Dude reps his country, acts like a flamboyant boxer (this is MMA's first real "big" personality if you think about it.) and goes out and knocks guys out. He has a GOOD built in fighting fanbase (Irish) and it's been a good year for them in combat sports. What do you expect? If he doesn't lose or get into some "unsavory" type of s hit outside the ring he's going to be a massive star. Just like if Deontay Wilder somehow keeps talking and knocking everyone out AS an AMERICAN heavyweight we can't be surprised if he became a mega star. Unlikely as it may be, there are things that are just bound to happen if things fall into place. Conor is one in his respective league and sport. Imagine if Wilder knocked out Wladimir? That's kind of how people in the ufc felt after finally seeing Aldo lose I bet (f uck if I know if thats the equivalent but you get the picture)...Wilder would have become an overnight star imo.

Comment

Just like if Deontay Wilder somehow keeps talking and knocking everyone out AS an AMERICAN heavyweight we can't be surprised if he became a mega star
                  Wilder can be a huge star if he wins his next few fights. I think people like him, he gets crap because most people don't think he's for real. He beats Spzilka, Povetkin and maybe someone like David Haye this year, then going for the Kiltchsko/Fury winner will be the biggest fight in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                    How do ukno the people he is fighting aren't good? Or does GGG just make them not look good?
                    Take every single Golovkin opponent combined, what is their one best win?

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                      John Minchillo/Associated Press
                      Tim
                      Daniels
                      Dec 30, 2015
                      Boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. stated this week that he believes racism still plays a prominent role in which fighters are promoted and how they are treated by the media.

Ben Thompson of Fight Hype passed along comments from the retired five-division world champion about the state of boxing as 2015 comes to a close. Money pointed to Andre Ward as proof that racism continues to exist in the world of combat sports.

"I can't believe they got Andre Ward ranked No. 4 in the pound-for-pound list...without Andre Ward losing a fight, he has to be No. 2," he said. "I mean, he wins his fights not in good fashion, but in great fashion, and they have him at No. 4...I truly believe that racism still exists in the sport of boxing."

He also pointed to his own experience as an outspoken self-promoter as further example that the treatment from the media isn't fair across the board when considering UFC sensation Conor McGregor:

I heard his name actually from one of the runners that works for our company; a little kid named Ken Hopkins, he's a runner and takes care of a lot of the daily business. Whatever we need, he takes care of. He's a cool little kid, I like him, and he does MMA. He told me about the guy McGregor. They say he talk a lot of trash and people praise him for it, but when I did it, they say I'm ****y and arrogant. So biased! Like I said before, all I'm saying is this, I ain't racist at all, but I'm telling you racism still exists.

Mayweather also discussed the difference between how the UFC's Ronda Rousey and boxing's Laila Ali were treated during their dominant runs:

After Ronda Rousey fought I think 9, 10, 11 fights, it didn't even take that long, she got all types of endorsements, movies, and everything. Laila Ali did the same thing in better fashion. Ronda Rousey, she's a good looking woman when she put it on. Laila Ali is a drop-dead gorgeous woman; I mean a naturally beautiful woman and can kick ass, but you never heard them [the media] saying when she had I think somewhere around 10, 11, 12 fights that she was the baddest woman to ever fight on the planet.

Mayweather noted that several fighters haven't received enough attention, including Terence Crawford, Danny Garcia and Kell Brook. He believes their association with manager Al Haymon and himself have hurt their cause.

Perhaps that will change as boxing begins searching for the next wave of big draws. With Mayweather retired and Manny Pacquiao set to step away after his next bout, the sport is going to need some new names to attract the big pay-per-view numbers.

Mayweather is trying to help bring some names stuck in the background of the mainstream conversation to the forefront. Though he's decided to hang up his gloves after accumulating a 49-0 record, his voice still carries a lot of weight in the world of boxing.

Now he's trying to use it to eliminate the racism he still sees in how some fellow fighters are treated
                      Yes, I can't believe that he is #4 either... he should be out of the top 10 already.

Floyd trying to hype Ward hard lately. It's clear that he wants to promote him in the future so he's trying to build his name up more. Also he tries to keep his name (Floyds) relevant after his "retirement".

Comment

Working...
                      X