Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali vs liston the phantom punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be 100% convinced that Sonny took a dive. Then a couple of years ago when I saw an extended tape I noticed Liston stumbling badly after he got up. Of course the KO seems unlikely as Liston had an iron chin and Ali never KO'd anyone in the 1st round again. But it is certainly possible the KO was legit, not counting the worst refereeing in heavyweight championship history.
    Last edited by Scott9945; 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Forget Walcott. If you count from the time he hit the ground to the time he got up, it was exactly 15 seconds. That's a knock out last time I checked so it really doesn't matter what else happened, the fact of the matter was that it took him 15 seconds to get off the canvas.

By the way, if you got tagged square on the chin by any boxer you'd be lucky to get up without the aid of smelling salts. Now imagine if you got hit square on the chin by Clay. End of story

Comment

Originally posted by rskumm21 View Post
        Forget Walcott. If you count from the time he hit the ground to the time he got up, it was exactly 15 seconds. That's a knock out last time I checked so it really doesn't matter what else happened, the fact of the matter was that it took him 15 seconds to get off the canvas.

By the way, if you got tagged square on the chin by any boxer you'd be lucky to get up without the aid of smelling salts. Now imagine if you got hit square on the chin by Clay. End of story
        the count is never ever the moment the fighter hits the ground.

there's always a few seconds before the ref can get to the downed fighter and start his count.

how many times have ali had a one punch knockout? how many times was liston koed let alone by one punch?

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          i think it could have been.

the 1st fight liston just took a whooping.

that 2nd one with the phantom/anchor punch controversy could have been fishy.

doesn't matter though. either way , sonny couldn't beat ali.

Sonny couldn't beat Ali, you're right. But the second fight no fix was in. Blame the inept Joe Walcott for that fight being stopped, not Sonny getting dropped by a punch he never saw coming.

Comment

This is not true. The count starts when the other fighter is in a nuetral corner and the ref starts counting. How is a fighter supposed to know when to get up if there is no count administered?

Comment

Working...
            X