Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin Iole "Miguel Cotto needs to perform better outside the ring before he steps in"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotto could definitely market himself more effectively but I don't think he gives a damn. I mean he was willing to turn down a much more lucrative offer in a Pac rematch to fight Austin Trout, so he won't be graveling for ever extra dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      Sounds a lot like he was denied an interview to be honest.
      Yep.......

Comment

The fact that he doesn't talk smack is always what has made him appealing to me. Well, that and his style in the ring of course. This writer is a narrow-minded douchebag.

Comment

I get what he is saying, basically if your going to self-promote yourself or Co-Promote, you gotta be able to attract attention to yourself and your up and coming fights

he did not have to do it with Top Rank because Arum took care of all of that

nobody is saying act crazy like Mayweather or Broner but I totally understand what he is suggesting

I will be honest, I always been a fan of Cotto but that dude is boring as hell when he is on HBO 24/7 and it is not because he doesn't talk trash, other then them showing him being a great family man which is cool, it is nothing interesting about him outside of the ring to be honest

Comment

And what the hell is Trout doing? LOL Cotto's known and has been in countless huge fights, Trout is the one who needs to do something..anything to promote this fight.

I have always felt that it was part of Cotto's appeal; terminator, quiet look with no emotions ever shown. But I do think Iole brings up a good point in that Cotto could be a bit more accessible like opening up his gym to the media more often and doing more interviews.

Comment

This writer must have grown up watching WWF and thinks grown men always snatch a microphone and yell into it...

What a ****ing dick.

Comment

I agree with what he is saying, to be a real a-side you have to be able to drive interest in the promotion. Boxing fans like Cotto and his fans will always love him but promoting is about attracting more fans and Cotto needs to do a better job. If he doesn't feel comfortable in English that is a limiting factor but then hit the Spanish language promotion hard.

Tommy Hearns he was painfully shy and barely spoke in the first Leonard build up, but when the Hagler fight came around Hagler didn't want to talk so Hearns had to bust out of his shell and drive the promotion. So it can be done.

Comment

He's not denying that Cotto is the 3rd biggest draw nor that he's a star. He's saying Cotto has a ways to go when it comes to self promotion, and I for one agree. 24/7 has become boring when Cotto is on, sorry but its true. As for promotions take his next card as an example. Exactly how many of you even know who is on the undercard? I sure as hell ain't holding my breath for anyone of note. Yes he's a gentleman, yes he's respectful. Nobody is asking him to be a clown like Broner. But he definitely needs to step it up if he's banking on Cotto promotions keeping him wealthy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                    I agree with what he is saying, to be a real a-side you have to be able to drive interest in the promotion. Boxing fans like Cotto and his fans will always love him but promoting is about attracting more fans and Cotto needs to do a better job. If he doesn't feel comfortable in English that is a limiting factor but then hit the Spanish language promotion hard.

Tommy Hearns he was painfully shy and barely spoke in the first Leonard build up, but when the Hagler fight came around Hagler didn't want to talk so Hearns had to bust out of his shell and drive the promotion. So it can be done.
                    Good points, a lot of people are taking some of the stuff that Iole said wrong. Nobody is saying Cotto has to throw money around or trash talk to sell a fight. Just be a lot more accessible and put yourself out there to promote your fight. Start hitting SportsCenter, ESPN Deportes, Jimmy Kimmel, ect. to let the people know you have a big fight coming up. Cotto has a big enough name that most media outlets would gladly welcome him. He also seems like a bright and insightful person with interesting stuff to say when he gets out of his shell.

But again I have to ask, what the hell is Trout doing?

Comment

he might mean like in training, not how he acts

if fighters would depend on how they act then Broner would be as good as he is, it doesnt bother me how any fighters act outside the ring, im a boxing fan not some human social analyzer???

Comment

Working...
                      X