Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Chavez Jr. raise his stock last night???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your question has a yes and no answer. I think his stock probably went up with the casual fans (and he has A LOT) and maybe down some with the hardcore fans. For the casual fans (the ones that don't really know the ins/outs of the fighters) he is exciting and seems to give everything in the ring. For the hardcore fans (ones that know what his opponents are like/syles of fights) he is taking on the same type of fighters in Bob Arum style. What I mean by that is - the opponent who can give him the most reward (make him look good) with the least risk (Champions like Rubio [no offense]). For me, he fights more like a fighter being carefully brought up who has only had 15-20 fights. But he's got this hugely padded record of what 45 PRO fights at such a young age, like Canelo. And if it was legitimate competition then by 44+ fights they shouldn't have to be moving him along so carefully. Yes, I know he doesn't have an amatuer record - but this is the PRO business. I don't know, I think I'm on the fence. I think for sure at this point, if they want Jr. to be taken seriously as a top contender - he definately has to step up and only fight top comp from this point on. After last nights fight and Jr.'s comments to Merchant, I personally feel like all the guys Chavez called would beat him pretty convincingly. I think of the 3, Margarito MIGHT be the only one he could beat and I'm not even sure Jr. could beat Margarito. I still think it would be a great fight, don't get me wrong, but my thoughts after the fight were "Any top fighter with movement, beats this guy." Chavez needs guys who will fight HIS style, which is EXACTLY what Rubio did last night. Against Cotto and especially Martinez, IMO Chavez will look lost. And with all this nonsense of the DUI only 22 days before fight, it makes me think Jr. either is not seriously training or just doesn't think he can lose (w/help from the WBC)... and both of those are dangerous for Jr.

Oh, and for anybody who actually believes the fact that Jose Saulimon really *cough* FORGOT to test the fighters after the fight and OOPS! accidentally did open scoring in the U.S. >>>>>>> I have some serious bridges to sell you.... just P.M. me I wish I could find the picture of Jose accidentally NOT forgetting to climb in to JCC jr.'s corner immediately after the fight to hug and kiss Julio.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i actually love the idea of that fight. it could be fun.

i think chavez would learn a lot in that fight. he's never been in there with a puncher like that.

i think chavez consistency and those tiny extra dimensions he has when he moves around the ring would give him the edge

abraham is the biggest one trick pony in the sport
      but man can he punch. it doesnt even look like he should be able to hurt guys punching like that, but down they go.

dont ask me why (especially now that i know he's not as serious as he can be about his training with the DUI charge,)
      but i like junior. the kid is growing on me.
      it would be half fight half side show (considering the difference in size,) but i still want to see him fight canelo

It would definitely be very fun, Chavez Jr. is proving to be a very fun fighter to watch. I just expect him to make a much smaller Abraham look bad in the process.

Now that he's stepping up his competition and gaining credibility, I'm not going to hate on Chavez unless he gives me a reason to. Much like Alvarez, as long as they continue to improve their competition.

Comment

Rubio looked old and slow, no real sting to his punches from a guy with 47 ko's.... (88 % ko ratio).

Comment

i say yes he is now at the level in between martinez,pirog and the rest of the middleweights. people say that he needs to fight better competition but who is there for him to fight the only fight that needs to happen is vs martinez and i dont see many guys lining up for that one. other than that fight the rest of the field is just a bunch of european guys that dont want to fight in america.

Comment

Working...
          X