Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duran, Arcel, Brown and the new movie.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting take. I've always thought highly of Arcel but I guess I'll have to see the movie.

Arcel would have probably at least been the guy with the connections to best bring Duran up to MSG and get him the fights.

Comment

Someone sort of pointed this out, depending on who the producers are (the money guys) thats going to dictate how things play in a movie. the writers themselves answer to producers. if a producer say "i want a duran movie where he cries in the corner and yells no mas and begs ray leonard to forgive him for his sins like a coward" thats what the writer is gonna do unless he drops out, and another writer will take his place.

Comment

..........."Arcel would have probably at least been the guy with the connections to best bring Duran up to MSG and get him the fights".

Carlos Eita and Luis Spada managed Duran and although Arcel was well established in NYC he really never took on managerial work.
        Pepe and Ray were Durans trainers and Freddy was the "babysitter" and worked the corners as Duran cut man.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          Yeah we all get that. That's not the point.

Arcel was the 'head trainer' and Brown the cutman, but Brown did all the day to day boxing training for Duran's career. He was the guy that spent every day of the whole camp with Duran pushing, teaching, drilling, hassling...the real training. The stuff that matters more than anything else.

So, in the corner during the fight, Arcel may very well have been the head trainer, but in practice, Brown was and he doesn't get credit for it.
          What it is saying is like claiming, " Buboy Fernandez done the REAL Training with Manny Pacquiao, not Freddie Roach. Drew"Bundini"Brown done all the REAL Training with Muhammad Ali not Angelo Dundee..Eddie Futch done all the REAL Training with Joe Frazier not Yank Durham..Freddie Roach done all the REAL Training with James Toney not Bill Miller etc..

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            What it is saying is like claiming, " Buboy Fernandez done the REAL Training with Manny Pacquiao, not Freddie Roach. Drew"Bundini"Brown done all the REAL Training with Muhammad Ali not Angelo Dundee..Eddie Futch done all the REAL Training with Joe Frazier not Yank Durham..Freddie Roach done all the REAL Training with James Toney not Bill Miller etc..
            No, it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by JimEarl View Post
              Interesting take. I've always thought highly of Arcel but I guess I'll have to see the movie.

Arcel would have probably at least been the guy with the connections to best bring Duran up to MSG and get him the fights.
              hopefully some of the comments I have made do not make you think I have a low opinion of Arcel he was one of the most astute minds in boxing. I just think its important to acknowledge Freddie Browns contribution as trainer and cut man. Duran was trained as an amateur and up to being a world class pro by Nestor "plomo" Quinones who was there for almost all of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                ..........."Arcel would have probably at least been the guy with the connections to best bring Duran up to MSG and get him the fights".

Carlos Eita and Luis Spada managed Duran and although Arcel was well established in NYC he really never took on managerial work.
                Pepe and Ray were Durans trainers and Freddy was the "babysitter" and worked the corners as Duran cut man.

OK thanks for the info.

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                hopefully some of the comments I have made do not make you think I have a low opinion of Arcel he was one of the most astute minds in boxing. I just think its important to acknowledge Freddie Browns contribution as trainer and cut man. Duran was trained as an amateur and up to being a world class pro by Nestor "plomo" Quinones who was there for almost all of his career.
                I guess I will just have to see that movie now. I will say his camp probably should have emphatically resisted his taking the Leonard rematch on short notice. But I won money on the first one and won money on the second one.....the second bet was just won too easily.
                Last edited by JimEarl; 06-09-2015, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimEarl View Post
                  OK thanks for the info.

I guess I will just have to see that movie now. I will say his camp probably should have emphatically resisted his taking the Leonard rematch on short notice.
                  apparently Eleta tried but Don King had sunk some money into the promotion already. They knew Duran was out of control and had a contract that provided payment as soon as Duran entered the ring. Like you say it will be really interesting how the movie handles that situation. There is a part for the late Davey Moore in the movie so we should see the rise, fall and redemption.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    No, it's not.
                    yes it is...

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Luis Sarria is the man that did all the training with Ali not Brown or Dundee, Sarria trained most of Dundee's stable (Napoles, Rodriguez, Fernandez, Ramos, Legra etc) and Dundee was there to translate to Ali and to come up with what too do in the ring, sure he did a lot of training with them as well obviously but Sarria was the man behind the conditioning and the like.
                      Luis is a forgotten gem in the boxing world so thought I'd bring him up.

Are you really just going to ignore Duran's own words and the story behind him and Brown because Arcel is the bigger name ?.
                      Last edited by NChristo; 06-09-2015, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X