No announcement yet.

Pick a fighter to beat me ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
    You're kidding right? Foreman? The 70s or 90s version of Foreman wouldn't lay a glove on that version of Ali
    If you think anyone in the history of boxing could play keep-away with Foreman over a full fight you're the delusional one.
    Last edited by Miburo; 02-17-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I'll conceed and pick a new fighter.

Joe Louis from the second Schmeling fight. Could anyone beat him that night?

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
        If you think anyone in the history of boxing could play keep-away with Foreman over a full fight you're the delusional one.
        thats if foreman goes that far. Som1 said he was mentally stronger when he actually fought foreman but he would of been alot fitter and that would help him mentally a ton. Williams ali still had a good chin, ali may do the rope a dope but only from time to time. i see foreman getting knocked down in round 4-6 and not bothering to get back up. Theres a massive difference in speed and head movement, ali would get tagged occasionaly on the ropes but far far less than in the rumble in the jungle

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

this is a real tough one too we'll leave ali from williams aside lol ... I don't know if I'd bet my house on it but I think the guy to pick could be Foreman from Frazier 1.
          Versus this Louis it would be a damn interesting fight. I think Louis could well come through it,(especially the longer things go) but the mindset he had that night i.e. going in there and slugging his man out of it in one, would play right into George's hands.
          Last edited by Daddy T; 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            this is a real tough one too we'll leave ali from williams aside lol ... I don't know if I'd bet my house on it but I think the guy to pick could be Foreman from Frazier 1.
            Versus this Louis it would be a damn interesting fight. I think Louis could well come through it,(especially the longer things go) but the mindset he had that night i.e. going in there and slugging his man out of it in one, would play right into George's hands.
            I think "that" Joe's faster and better delivered, sharp shots get home before George's crude swings and he knocks George out. He was so accurate and every shot had malice behind it, combination punching too.

Comment

Liston and Foreman are very different fighters. You're not going to beat Foreman by boxing and moving, he could cut off the ring as well as anyone in history.

And then fade in the middle rounds.....

Its a shame but, 1970s Foreman had poor pacing issues over the distance. The Ali and Young fights demonstrate this. I don't think Foreman knocks out 1966 Ali and he certainly wouldn't win a points decision.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Well there was a thread about this fight a fortnight or so ago. What I said at the time is that Schmelling offered no resistance. One right hand attempted (which connected!). No covering up, no circling, no trying to grab hold. He froze! Under the pressure of that fight I don't blame him, he is still a legend.

But its not a fight with which to showcase Louis's skills. He'd have looked just as good against a punchbag. I rank it along similar lines to Tyson vs Spinks, Tyson vs Seldon or Lewis vs Golota.

In the Ali fight, Williams did at least throw punches.

Comment

Heres an interesting one....

Niccolino Locche from the first Cervantes fight where all three judges gave him every round of the 15 rounds.

Comment

Jimmy Young did it to the 70s version of Foreman,and Holyfield did it to the 90s version, but you don't think this version of Ali would. This version of Ali>than any version of Foreman, by a mile

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                      or conceed and pick someone new.
                      My pick is the Ali from the Cleveland Williams fight. Can you name any fighter from any night on their given career who you would feel confident enough in to bet your house on him beating this Ali?
                      Wlad with the right strategy could win. If he takes the center of the ring throw nothing but jabs and makes Ali come to him then does the patent clinch lean him back against the ropes he could wear Ali out and and win a decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X