No announcement yet.

Recommend me a book that will blow my mind

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Another philosophy book, very short and simple. I enjoyed reading it and I hope this will be renewed as a movie in 2011 to the future.

"Excellently observed," answered Candide, "but we must cultivate our garden."

What a perfect statement to end such a short story.

Comment

This one is very close to me. In the U.S. we prefer to lower our intelligence just to make ourselves appear as average Joe's or Jane's. The U.S. have this culture of accepting ineptitude and idiocies. We tend to shun smart people into a corner of social castration.

A very good book in my opinion.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Squeeze-To...owViewpoints=1

That is link review about the book. It has been 3 years since I last read it. I forget. I just flipped through some pages and the few sentences said about the "slaughterhouse" and "Hispanics."

If I remember correctly, the slaughterhouse gets its employees from Mexicans who crosses the border illegally. The slaughterhouse in order to avoid getting caught by the U.S. government during inspection were warned before the said inspection. Hispanic workers were told not to show up for work or were chosen for those who spoke English. Very interesting book.

Comment

Keep em coming, jj.

Comment

It was an interesting book during 2005 to 2007 then the whole "Great Recession" happened which suck the goodness about the "whole world going flat" idea.

Milton Friedman says everything in a straightforward manner through the life stories of individuals he met. If I'm wrong in recalling the book then it says a lot about how my views/philosophies changed concerning this book.

Comment

Let us just say, the books I read back in the days were really optimistic. I liked the idea behind this book that it concedes the U.S. will not be forever the leader of the free world. The U.S. must recognize that developing countries like China, Russia, even Brazil, and India will one day reach the level of American supremacy in terms of economy and military might.

Those countries will have the economies of Japan, U.K., and other extremely rich countries. With the military backing similar to the U.S. in terms of manpower and technological power. However, it makes it a point that this will not happen overnight and that the U.S. still has ways to maintain its position as the leading nation of the free world.

Comment

For being a Korean-American who was born as a Protestant Christian. I never had the proper schooling in terms of my religion. As I grew up, I deviated away from it because as a Korean-American my ancestors worshiped spirits and practiced Buddhism in some way or the other back in Korea. Now, that the current generations of my family are in the U.S. we just became Christians? Never understood it. I read a lot of books concerning religious matters. I came to the conclusion as everyone did that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are all the same religion and people are just fighting about the little things.

Comment

It is funny that I find this book very inspirational but in the modern day it is one way to get burned in a debate.

President Lincoln handled conflicts by writing out a letter with furious intentions but he never mails it. Instead he keeps it and reads it again after a few days goes by. So, when he writes another letter this time it is level headed, informative, and cordial. It is similar to writing in a boxing forum. We tend to write with our emotions but some times we decide to erase it and write something close to a respectful rebuttal. BUT, the biggest letdown of modern technology, the internet affords people anonymity. Imagine Lincoln writing an informative and respectful rebuttal but to be called by an anonymous being a coward, ****sexual, or unoriginal twat.

Really, his leadership skills is only applicable if you are in a position of power. If you are just an ordinary nobody then Lincoln's skills don't really work for you that much.

Comment

Tears of a Tiger

Comment

Working...
                      X