Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats your opinion about boxers being pressured to move up in weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you haven't won more then 2 belts at your current weight then you not done at that weight class , GGG need to do what Ward did at 168, get 2 more belts, Ward can now go get belts at 175

Comment

Hagler, Monzon and Zale only fought middleweight. Pryor only fought at 140. Bob Foster was only successful at 175. These great fighters and many other great fighters never moved up even one weight class and nobody thought less of them for that. All fighters should stay at their best fighting weight. The only intelligent reason for moving up is if they are not strong at their current weight. Moving up just to show off is a good way for a fighter to get beat. Donaire was unbeatable until he moved up one weight class too many. No fighter should be criticized for not moving up a weight class when they are comfortable at the weight they are at. GGG should not have to go to 168 for Ward. Ward should not have to go to 175 for Kovalev. Rigo should not have to move to 126 to fight the top guys there. If the want to give up size to fight bigger men that's great but they shouldn't be criticized if they don't. That's how I see it anyway.

Comment

pac fans dont care. they just wanna see floyd lose

Comment

I think guys should move up when it's become clear that they're having serious trouble making the weight. If a fighter allows their skills to stagnate and talents to erode for the sake of a weight advantage, that's just pathetic. If you have to rehydrate 20lbs, then you should probably move up.

Comment

they should only move up when they naturally outgrow their division or completely clear out their available opposition

Comment

Interesting topic Boxfan83, but I think you may be asking the wrong question. What I mean by that: Yes it's terrible, no doubt about it, Broner is a living exemple! Look what a overhyped punk he turned out to be and to think that people and magazines had him in their p4p lists and Larry wanting to bet against anybody on the forum that Broner would be the next fighter of the decade... '_'

But I think we have a bigger problem, take a look at Broner again and also Chavez Jr, they were killing themselves to make a weight and beat the smaller guys because of their size. Off course it's their right if they can make the weight but they don't fight the men of their own size, that's why I wish they could bring back the same day weight-ins like back in the days.

Comment

I think there's too many weight classes so there is nothing wrong with demanding fights 1 division apart.

If it was like back in the day where there were no junior divisions then I would have a different stance.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  Hagler, Monzon and Zale only fought middleweight. Pryor only fought at 140. Bob Foster was only successful at 175. These great fighters and many other great fighters never moved up even one weight class and nobody thought less of them for that. All fighters should stay at their best fighting weight. The only intelligent reason for moving up is if they are not strong at their current weight. Moving up just to show off is a good way for a fighter to get beat. Donaire was unbeatable until he moved up one weight class too many. No fighter should be criticized for not moving up a weight class when they are comfortable at the weight they are at. GGG should not have to go to 168 for Ward. Ward should not have to go to 175 for Kovalev. Rigo should not have to move to 126 to fight the top guys there. If the want to give up size to fight bigger men that's great but they shouldn't be criticized if they don't. That's how I see it anyway.
                  Where would Hagler and Monzon have moved up to and to fight whom for what title?

If 168 was established like it is today who is to say they wouldn't have tested the waters?

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    I think guys should move up when it's become clear that they're having serious trouble making the weight. If a fighter allows their skills to stagnate and talents to erode for the sake of a weight advantage, that's just pathetic. If you have to rehydrate 20lbs, then you should probably move up.
                    Yes!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm sorta split on this. I can see the upside in being a champ in the same division for 8 years or moving up once you've won a title or better yet become the man at a particular division. Both can be impressive feats.

Ultimately its about the ability with a fighter to actually move up, which is something fans typically have lil to zero info on thus are in poor position to say who should or shouldn't be moving up. That being the case I'm of the opinion fans shouldn't pressuring fighters to move up. I will add when a guy is constantly talking about moving up, fans pressuring him or **** talking him about NOT moving up is fair game.

Comment

Working...
                      X