• Show
Clear All

• 21 questions with bas

I got this off mmaweekly.com

21 Questions for Bas Rutten
    By Jeremy Norrie, MMA Weekly
    Posted: April 7, 2003

What is your real name?
    Sebastiaan Hendrikus Antonius Rutten, if you are born in Holland and your name is Sebastiaan, they will call you Bas.

Are you married?
    Yes, I am happily married with two daughters, actually I have three girls, but one of them still lives in Holland with my ex-wife. Three daughters, 12 years old is Rachele, 6 years old is Sabine, 1.5 years old is Bianca.

Do they participate in MMA?
    No, my youngest one already tries arm bars when I change the diaper and my 6 years old knows how to kick, punch, mount-strike and how to go for an arm bar, but that’s it. The youngest one is going to be a fighter for sure!

What sport did you play first?
    Track and field, I was a pretty good high jumper, far jumper, javelin, shot put, running, in fact, I wanted to be the next Bruce Jenner but my knees gave up on me.

What would you say is your fighting base (starting point)?
    Kyokushin Karate and Tae Kwon Do plus Thai boxing were my first martial arts.

Do you have any friends who are professional fighters or famous?
    Duane Ludwig, Alex Steibling, Marco Ruas, Peter Aerts, Pedro Rizzo, Guy Mezger, Tre Telligman, Saekson, Ramon Dekkers, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, etc. Man, I cannot mention all the names, I have many friends, and let’s say I have made a lot of friends in my fighting career.

As far as actors, I know Holt McCalleny (he was the guy who was hosing the people down in “Fight club” to pick a fight and had to lose), and I know Jonathan Lipnicki (The Little Vampire, Stuart Little), and Kevin James (King of Queens). I know also Costes Mandelore, Oleg Taktarov (****ing great in 15 minutes!!!). More names but these guys I know very well.

What do you like to do for fun?
    Having a good time with my family, which is very difficult because of my schedule. Having a good time with my friends. I love to see good fights, I love commentating in Pride, I love Pro-wrestling, in fact, I love my life!

Where in the world would you like to travel?
    I would like to go to the Bahamas with my wife and kids because I have never been there and I see on the commercials that it is very beautiful there and my wife deserves a LONG vacation with a guy like me. I am gone all the time and she is the best!

What music do you like?
    I like all music, Classical, House, Mello, Mexican, and Country. Everything, I really like the “Crash Test Dummies.”

What kind of car do you drive or would you like to drive?
    I drive a Toyota mini van with all the options: DVD, side air bags, the best stereo etc. I really like it because of my kids. My wife drives a Beetle. If I get a lot of money, I will probably drive a BMW M5 or a Cadillac Seville STS. I love these cars. I really don’t care. I think that it is funny that when I go to a hot night club in LA, I can park in front of the door with my mini van and they will let me right in and will park the car for me. All the people from the VIP section waiting in line think, who is that ******* with the mini van and the baby seats in the back and why can he get in right away? I love that ****. In LA, it is all about what car you drive, how ****ing stupid can you be?

Name 3 things that you really dislike.
    *******s who don’t use their turning signals, beer without alcohol, and people who start fights on the street for no reason, most of the time for being drunk.

What organization(s)/ promotion(s) have you participated in?
    Muay Thai (MTBN), Pancrase, UFC

What got you into fighting as a profession?
    They asked me to come over to a gym because Pancrase was looking for new fighters. I KO’d a guy and that’s where they chose me. (The guy wanted to go hard so I returned him the favor.)

If you were not a professional fighter, what would you do for a living?
    I am officially a cook, certified and everything, French cook. I also like to make trailers for movies or TV series (I can’t yet, but I think that I would be really good in that).

Which one of your fights are you especially proud of?
    My proudest fights were against Funaki (because he beat me the first time and I had my revenge), against Frank (because they told me that I couldn’t win that, I said “yeah right”), against TK and against Randleman because I was really injured before those fights and didn’t want to pull out because they put me on the posters. TIP for future stars…. NEVER take a fight if you are injured!!

Have you ever been knocked out? How many times? Where and how?
    I have NEVER been KO’d, one time I was down (not out) but I think that was because of a painkiller that they gave me before a fight and that ****ed up my movement. I had this hole in my shin (you could see the bone) and they gave me a shot for that. I have been hit with Coca Cola bottles in my head (the glass ones) and baseball bats and nun chucks, but I have never been KO’d.

What is the most painful experience you have ever had in an MMA bout?
    Against Ken Shamrock, when he knee barred me, I have NEVER experienced pain in the ring, but THAT time I did.

Who is your favorite fighter(s)?
    Obviously, Duane Ludwig and from there on, every fighter that competes, you have too many good fighters nowadays.

What is your favorite submission?
    All submissions, but if I have to pick, the triangle choke and leg locks, watch my old Pancrase fights!

Will you fight again?
    Not right now, I am busy with other things and can’t concentrate on that.

What are your plans for the future?
    If I would fight, I would like to fight Wanderlei because he is the ****ing man, and Yoshida, also some really beautiful actresses.For the future, movies and for the rest… Everything I like, the good part for me is that I can do more than only fight. I can do a lot of things, enjoying life!!

Bas is great, I would love to see him and Silva fight, good read.....

Comment

He's a french cook
      Bas is the man

Comment

Bas is a really great person and great fighter too. There are few like him who are as honest when they fight Even the best of them like Minotauro who I love, lose graciously to a guy like Fedor, seem to lose with class but then in the future interviews you see the "Wrong strategy" "I was calmer with him, Sapp gave me more trouble" "I was Injured" crap

Not Bas, he is the ****.

Comment

Bas rules!

Comment

Da Man

Comment

Working...
            X