No announcement yet.

This is the fight boxing needed to move past Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    The only names Thurman should be mentioning are Danny Garcia or Kell Brook.

Although the WBA is apparently going to make him fight David Avanesyan.
    Awww man why did you have to mention that!? I forgot all about that crap.

Comment

It's a good start to pump some energy into 147 but they need to follow up with Thurman-Porter 2, Thurman-Garcia, Spence/Porter/Brook/Sammy, ect. for the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        Awww man why did you have to mention that!? I forgot all about that crap.
        Yeah, it's a letdown of an opponent. But the WBA is gonna WBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          I hope Thurman doesn't start talking about Mayweather. He's the star of the Welterweight division now. He doesn't need Mayweather. Build off of this and make your own legacy. If Mayweather wants the fight make him mention your name. The more he mentions you the bigger you get. Don't even feed into his games. If the boxing writers really want us to move past Mayweather they'll stop asking questions to these fighters about Mayweather. Keith vs. Garcia should be talked about.

And Shawn Porter, wow! I was 50/50 heading into this fight but he won me over. Shawn will fight anybody. He made his way up the old fashion way. Beat Alexander when he got his chance. KO'd Paulie, I expected him to win but damn. Got setback against Brook but he didn't go cherry picking after that. He KO'd Bone like he was supposed to do. Beat up on Broner and shut his mouth. And took Thurman to places he's never been before. Porter has 2 losses and the fans love him. People overrate that 0.
          Dude, the fight wasn't that great! Also, Keith Thurman is not the future of boxing any more than Canelo Alvarez is not the future of boxing. Alvarez could have made an argument as Mayweather's replacement if he had followed his fight with Cotto with a fight against Golovkin. Instead, he is fight ing Liam Smith.

If Thurman spent his next three fights fighting Danny Garcia, Errol Spence and the winner of Brook/Vargas and beat them all, then I would say he is the fighter who would replace Mayweather on the boxing throne. However, his next three fights will likely be against Chris Algieri and two no-hopers from Europe.

With his win over Porter, Thurman firmly establishes himself as the fourth best welterweight in the world. In other words, he ain't the next coming of Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            The only names Thurman should be mentioning are Danny Garcia or Kell Brook.

Although the WBA is apparently going to make him fight David Avanesyan.
            If Thurman wanted to fight Garcia or Kell Brook next, the WBA would allow the fight to happen. Unfortunately, Thurman would rather fight David Avanesyan rather than one of these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERBX View Post
              You sound like a fool! Floyd in retirement is more important than any of these current fighters. Boxing will move past Floyd when one of these current fighter out do what Floyd accomplish in the ring. So far I don't see the skill set to achieve that feat.
              That probably won't happen again I doubt someone will make 200 or was 300 million in one night I just don't see that right now

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                Keith Thurman the star of the welterweight division? What are you smoking? The division is now wide open and Thurman has looked vulnerable in several of his recent fights. He's just one of about 10 top fights in and around 147 right now. Hopefully the stars align and we can get a bunch of great fights to settle the argument.
                Who's a bigger star

Thurman
                Porter
                Garcia
                Bradley
                Brook
                Spence
                Vargas

Comment

Working...
                X