Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are lower weight classes in boxing kind of like the special oympics?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would he have the option of not engaging? HW would just rush him and KO him with minimal worry of being counter-KO'd

You may be forgetting that when we say small fighters have "speed" we mean handspeed. 5'6" guys can't move around the ring to avoid 6'4" guys for the same reason they don't win sprinting medals. In 3 steps they move 1 HW step.

Small guys like the idea of having some advantage and everyone being equal in some rock paper scissors game but that isn't reality. The bigger guy (assuming he's not fat) has every advantage. It's just that guys that big are rare enough that statistically that very few of them are that talented. To overcome the size gap there has to be an abnormally large talent gap (IE Jones-Ruiz, and that's obviously a far cry from Mayweather-Klitschko where the size gap is much wider and talent gap is much narrower).

I can't believe I'm even having this conversation. The only thing worse than LW vs HW debates is guys who think Bruce Lee was a real fighter who would kick everyone's ass in modern MMA and Boxing but it was "against his beliefs".
    Last edited by Fr3$h; 04-26-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Wlad fans butthurt because no one cares he fought tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Lebanon View Post
        How would he have the option of not engaging? HW would just rush him and KO him with minimal worry of being counter-KO'd

You may be forgetting that when we say small fighters have "speed" we mean handspeed. 5'6" guys can't move around the ring to avoid 6'4" guys for the same reason they don't win sprinting medals. In 3 steps they move 1 HW step.

Small guys like the idea of having some advantage and everyone being equal in some rock paper scissors game but that isn't reality. The bigger guy (assuming he's not fat) has every advantage. It's just that guys that big are rare enough that statistically that very few of them are that talented.

I can't believe I'm even having this conversation. The only thing worse than LW vs HW debates is guys who think Bruce Lee was a real fighter who would kick everyone's ass in modern MMA and Boxing but it was "against his beliefs".
        I see Mike Tyson with the speed to do so. I don't see Tyson Fury doing so. I was a light-heavy (I was big into martial arts - not boxing at the time - but I sparred more than a few times. ) The speed difference between a lightheavy and a lightweight was incredible. I stopped chasing down the lightweights and waited for them to come to me. I could never catch them.

Now. I'm not a professional boxer. I don't pretend to be anything more than another gym rat who sparred with some golden glove fighters (not pros). But the speed difference was incredible.

Comment

Sports are not purely about athleticism, but athleticism and technique. These "special rules" you feel are strange exist because they allow for more fair evaluations of an athlete's athleticism AND technique. They don't exist in the NBA, NFL, NHL, all Soccer/Football leagues because the games in themselves have enough "special rules" to ensure that there is a correct balance of athleticism and technique.

Comment

I refuse to watch anything under 140 lbs. I just don't care for the fighters when they are a certain weight. Experience has shown me that the fights are rarely exciting. I don't like watching them throw 1000 punches without any of them doing much damage.

Comment

I'm not even gonna give an answer. This thread is idotic.

Comment

Working...
              X