Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Amir Khan Is A Younger Version Of De La Hoya Stylistally?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

similar - but just as many differences as similarities. They are both rangy/decently tall for their weight classes. Both work behind the jab. Khan is more of a mover/ambush fighter, whereas Oscar was more of a conventional boxer/puncher.

Oscar had much more fluid upper body and head movement (even though it wasn't that great). Khan basically has no head movement or upper body movement - his defense = his legs and quick feet. he ambushes with a combination behind the jab, and then moves away. When he does stand in the pocket, he puts on some tight "freddie roach" ear muffs, and doesn't really look for the counter punches.

And Khan is one of my top five favorite fighters, but Im being honest in assessing his weaknesses. But he has the drop on Oscar speed wise. Power is about the same.

And I think it was a left uppercut that dropped Maidana - to be specific - a right and left combination of uppercuts.

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
      similar - but just as many differences as similarities. They are both rangy/decently tall for their weight classes. Both work behind the jab. Khan is more of a mover/ambush fighter, whereas Oscar was more of a conventional boxer/puncher.

Oscar had much more fluid upper body and head movement (even though it wasn't that great). Khan basically has no head movement or upper body movement - his defense = his legs and quick feet. he ambushes with a combination behind the jab, and then moves away. When he does stand in the pocket, he puts on some tight "freddie roach" ear muffs, and doesn't really look for the counter punches.

And Khan is one of my top five favorite fighters, but Im being honest in assessing his weaknesses. But he has the drop on Oscar speed wise. Power is about the same.

And I think it was a left uppercut that dropped Maidana - to be specific - a right and left combination of uppercuts.
      Pretty good analysis.

Comment

I don't consider them to be much alike at all, Khan is strictly an outside guy but he can use both hands and does that with a lot with movement.

To me Oscar would be much more well rounded and efficient in his approach even though his right hand was not very good, his left hook was nasty but he was boxing with the general intention of hurting the other guy.

I just don't see the real similarities when you look at how they fight.

Comment

I don't see it.

Khan is much, much faster, Oscar has one of the best left hooks of all time and throws punches a different way.

Oscar is also taller and bigger, despite what the listings say, Khan is no where near 5'10.

Comment

Working...
          X