Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If his body allows, Triple GGG should stay at 160 indefinitely, till' retirement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If his body allows, Triple GGG should stay at 160 indefinitely, till' retirement

His pathway to ATG-ness and rising in the ranks is through the historic Middleweight Division. He should build on his Middleweight legacy.

He is too old and it's too late to be a weight climber. 168 is a terrible division and being a 2-division Champion is not much of an accomplishment. Everybody is doing it now-a-days. It's trendy and everyone wants to be the next Pacquiao and Floyd in regards to Title hopping.

Also, it's safe to say that the best version of GGG is the 160 version of GGG. He hasn't been beaten yet. And sure you can say it's because of opponents but his power-speed-stamina-technique ratio at 160 (which is at it's most effective) will not be the same at 168 or 175. In other words, you're not beating the Monster G at 175 that he was at 160. His power would diminish and his strength would be lessened.

He does not have the P4P pure boxing skills of a Floyd Mayweather to weight climb (and even Floyd cherry picked his way around a few fights and fought some others at a later time when it was more suitable). Floyd lost all his 130-135 punching power at Welterweight but his defense and counter punching got him through a lot of fights where he was outsized and out-strengh-ed by a naturally bigger opponent.

If you're a Triple G hater, why would you want this? You're not even beating the best GGG. Would you not want to see him get defeated at 160 by the best possible opponent (s) to get your nut off?

GGG is meant to be a one-division great with lots of title defenses and having Undisputed/Unified Title status.

You're accusing Floyd of cherry picking and suggesting GGG stays at 160? . . . When Floyd moved up 5 divisions and has one of the best resumes in recent boxing? Okeeey.

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
      You're accusing Floyd of cherry picking and suggesting GGG stays at 160? . . . When Floyd moved up 5 divisions and has one of the best resumes in recent boxing? Okeeey.
      Re-read what I wrote. I gave Floyd credit and have said that GGG does not have the skill set meant to weight climb. Don't be a knee jerk reactionary.

Comment

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
        Re-read what I wrote. I gave Floyd credit and have said that GGG does not have the skill set meant to weight climb. Don't be a knee jerk reactionary.
        Doesn't have the skillset to climb weight classes, yet there are rumours that he broke Kovalev's jaw in sparring and Grove's ribs?

I would like to see GGG move up. I think he'd do well at 168, infact there's probably only a handful of people who'd be competitive against him. Looks like I have more faith in him than you do.

Comment

I agree although I base it purely on all the excitement + paydays being at 160 for him & a bunch of who gives a f#ck fights at 168. If someone can become dominant like Ward was at 168 in the next year or two fair enough with moving up & trying to beat that guy, but til then it holds lil appeal to me. Or hell if Ward whitewashes Kovalev & calls up GGG @168 or some catchweight there is more value in that fight then when Ward was coming off of his hiatus from boxing so that could be doable. But all that seems like a longshot or way off in the future so 160 for the time being makes the most sense.

Comment

He does not have the P4P pure boxing skills of a Floyd Mayweather to weight climb

Facing competition at higher weight classes is NOT meant to be easy. The fact that he does not have the 'pure boxing ability' to climb weights makes it an even tougher challenge. And that is the primary idea of climbing weight, it is meant to be a challenge. I think a lot of people have down-played this over the years.

However, I can understand where you're coming from in essence. In GGG's case, there are no worthy opponents at 168 lbs (other than Ward). They are some very tough match ups at 175 lbs, which would elevate GGG into a new league should he win those.

But if I were Golovkin, I would want to achieve the ultimate goal of unifying all belts at 160 lbs before moving up. Besides, the biggest money fight is at 160 (Canelo), and it would be stupid for him to move up, then down again.
            Last edited by TouchofDeath; 09-04-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as the coward stops name dropping other fighters who have never fought at 160 a day in their life. Instead he keeps begging other fighters south of 160 to move up while he's too scared to do the same. His c0ck sucking trainer keeps doing interviews saying he can ko everyone at 168. Been saying for almost half a decade he would got to 154 or 168 for a big fight. These are the reasons he looks like a joke for not moving up or down in weight. If he keeps his mouth shut about fighters outside of 160 the coward can stay there his entire career fighting every bum he can get his hands on and nobody would complain.

Comment

I can't call someone a HOF or ATG fghter whose best win is still Martin Murray at the age of 34... sorry
                maybe if he can up his competition level in the next few years but not before it and he has less and less time

It's not his fault that he was born into a trash MW era but historical places are given by resumes and cold hard facts not about shoulda-woulda fantasy things...

Can you tell me a fighter who is remembered as an ATG or HOF member and his best win is on the level of Martin Murray? Cause I can't think of one right now...

Many journalists and fans simply overlook the most important part, the resume when they rate Golovkin and they solely base on hype and eye test.
                Golovkin hasn't got a better resume than 2 years ago just he kept beating lower tier opposition by KOs and the hype got bigger and bigger to a point where (almost) everybody felt that he can get the pass for the not so strong resume and he should be placed n P4P top 5 and stuff like that... Or the ones who didn't feel like that simply put him there cause they obeyed to the hype and popularity ad thought that they must rate him that high without any truly significant win.

there are at least 15-20 active fighters whose best wins trump GGG's best.
                I don't say that only resumes count but those should be the most important by a pretty wide margin. Eye tests and other fantasy things only after that. And popularity/hype shouldn't be included at all but I know that's a big ask...

Comment

He should do what Calzaghe did and move up right before retirement. Wait until there is a definitive 168 champion and challenge them for the belt. And finally, cash out with a big money fight and say fuq the haters.

Retiring with one loss to the Special One Kell Brook ain't too shabby.

Comment

He'll never become an ATG with the poor quality of opposition at 160. 168 is garbage too but a MW champ moving up and taking a title is an impressive thing, which is why I've insisted he should do this if he wants to secure a legacy. I fully believe he can do it too.

Comment

Working...
                    X