Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explaining How McGregor Loss In Simple Boxing Talk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He came out strong, trying to walk down, overwhelm, and finish his opponent who thrives in that kind of fight. At his core, McGregor is a swarmer who throws high volume, and uses his movement and size to cut off the cage with his opponents, so he likes to fight at a fast pace. Eventually, Nate figured out his timing, warmed up, and started landing shots of his own. That, along with the pace, hurt and tired Conor who, after getting rocked, shot in for a desperate takedown, which left him on the bottom of the better grappler who showcased his superior grappling ability and finished the fight. Nate's often compared to his brother, Nick, who's also a swarmer. But unlike his brother, Nate's more of an outfighter, prefering to stay at range and picking guys off with his hands. I think that Conor specifically jumped all over him in order to take away Nate's range. He (Conor) is usually the bigger guy, so that was an adjustment he had to make. But once Nate started to land his jab (which is super underrated), I think he started to get Conor's timing down on the feet. Of course, that goes along with his toughness and resilience.
    Last edited by Left2theliver; 03-08-2016, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Connor was never "great" so let's clear that up from the gate. Though I predicted Nate to lose, I said on this forum that his path to lwin was to break down McGreggor w/ his boxing and go for the sub. This is what Nate does. His boxing is plane Jane but, like his brother, he rains steadily and they can often out-weather opponents by these means. Nate is not a power puncher, he subs guys after weakening them.

Don't make the mistake of thinking MacGreggor "got caught". The 1+2 didn't crack him, he was steadily broken down. He is a hype job. Nate isn't great ether and he was basically fed to Connor but it shows you just how overhyped Connor was when he gets beat by a gatekeeping 155lber (Diaz was HORRIBLE at 170 in the past).
      None of that changes the fact that McGregor beat Jose Aldo, a champion who was undefeated for 10 years. A win like that shows that Conor isn't just all hype. Overhyped? Probably but that's a legit win that he can fall back on.
      Last edited by Mr. Punch-Out!!; 03-08-2016, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Punch-Out!! View Post
        None of that changes the fact that McGregor beat Jose Aldo, a champion who was undefeated for 10 years. A win like that shows that Conor isn't just all hype.
        He's a decent striker, but highly overrated. I've long said that his stand-up has huge holes and that was proven. It's known that his grappling is horrid. The Aldo fight is interesting in that Jose doesn't look "right". He may be getting old overnight, maybe Connor has his number, but it's impossible to say since we didn't see those two exchange, it just ended immediately. Remember, JDS folded Velasquez easily. But, in subsequent fights we found out that Cain was the better fighter BY FAR. Never read too much into a quick KO.

Comment

As much as I enjoyed seeing Diaz smack Conor and choke his ass out on Saturday, I agree, his wins over Mendes, Aldo, Poirier, and Holloway have proved that he's not only a very good fighter, but he's an elite level fighter. That being said, the Aldo fight is interesting, primarily because that fight ended with the first landed punch within seconds of the fight, that can happen to anyone. We still don't know how that fight would play out in a rematch. I also think that the Diaz fight gave us a bigger sample size of what Conor brings to the table. Most of his fights don't go past the second round (except for one), so to see him get pushed in different areas really tells us a lot about him.

Comment

Watching MMA fighters try and box in general hurts my eyes. Its just like a bar room brawl, non existent boxing skills

Comment

The OP pretty much has it. And really, it's amazing how amateurish that mistake was for McGregor. He seemed to better than understand his error in the aftermath however. I was impressed with his recall of the fight, moment by moment and his interpretation of what went on. MMA and it's culture and subcultures are still in their infancy. They've got a long way to go and many talented, intelligent people will be needed to get them to a truly world class level. They're progressing, but slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Punch-Out!! View Post
                None of that changes the fact that McGregor beat Jose Aldo, a champion who was undefeated for 10 years. A win like that shows that Conor isn't just all hype. Overhyped? Probably but that's a legit win that he can fall back on.
                So is the chad mendes win, even though that was short notice.. And I agree with your statement of him not being hype, but overhyped..

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
                  he's an elite level fighter.
                  Do you think it's possible for a mixed martial artist to be elite if he lacks even the most rudimentary grappling skills? He's been kept safe from grapplers save for one that had no training camp. In fact, Mendez raped him until he gassed. It's a widely accepted conclusion that had he enough time to get conditioned, Mendez would have finished Connor on the canvas. This is why they wouldn't let Edgar near him last year.

I haven't seen any elite MMartists who didn't have a ground game. Even Cro Cop and Chuck had stellar TDD. Lawler was a gatekeeper until he learned TDD and not all guys are able to pick it up. If McGreggor still hasn't been able to improve with all the TLC and specialized tutoring he's gotten, I have to speculate he'll always have that hole and there will always be guys able to exploit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
                    As much as I enjoyed seeing Diaz smack Conor and choke his ass out on Saturday, I agree, his wins over Mendes, Aldo, Poirier, and Holloway have proved that he's not only a very good fighter, but he's an elite level fighter. That being said, the Aldo fight is interesting, primarily because that fight ended with the first landed punch within seconds of the fight, that can happen to anyone. We still don't know how that fight would play out in a rematch. I also think that the Diaz fight gave us a bigger sample size of what Conor brings to the table. Most of his fights don't go past the second round (except for one), so to see him get pushed in different areas really tells us a lot about him.
                    Bruh him KO ing aldo in one shot just goes to show you how mma fighters dont have chins. Connor got rocked hard by a mediocre puncher

Comment

I think the biggest mistake was going from 145lbs to 170lbs
                      that's like amir khan moving up to fight carl froch - of course he is going to get knocked the f@ck out
                      the lesson here is that there are weight classes for a reason. I can't believe everyone was picking McGregor to win, don't UFC fans understand weight at all.
                      People are ripping khan for moving up 8lbs to fight Canelo saying he will get annihilated but McGregor was the favorite moving up 25lbs???? WTF

Comment

Working...
                      X