No announcement yet.

The Official Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    One thing Miguel deserves credit for is how well he took some big shots.

He was hit with a lot of big shots and there was one round in particular (6th?) that Canelo landed 6-7 massive shots in the space of 20 seconds and Miguel took them and was firing back by the end of the round.
    He was on steroids. No doubt about it.
    How he performed in the fight confirmed it for me as much as can be confirmed.

Comment

• Good fight, good Win for Canelo, he really is improving, Cotto did what he could but the size difference whats crazy, GOOD WIN FOR CANELO there should be no excuses.

Comment

• btw Canelo didn't hurt Cotto at all, he was just to big in night fight!!! lets see if he fights GGG next.

Comment

• First things first. Canelo won the fight, and my congratulations to him and his team. He fought well enough to win, although I thought the scorecards were excessively wide. Still.... he did a great job, and my hat's off to him. He also spoke very well during and after the fight. He's got a great future ahead of him, provided he keeps his discipline and fights at the weight he's meant to fight.

No regrets from Cotto's effort, though. He fought his heart out, and did the best he possibly could. It turns out I was right. The size, age, and power difference were just too much to overcome. Cotto outboxed Canelo in several rounds, hence my opinion that the judges were, albeit predictably, very unkind to him.

Cotto has nothing to hang his head about. He lost to a bigger, stronger, younger, up-and-coming fighter in what to me was a great fight. If he were to walk away from boxing at this point, he's had a spectacular HOF career and has nothing left to prove. Cotto haters are elated, of course, but hey you can't win them all. I was happy with Cotto's effort, but willing to accept the defeat.

Comment

• Just watched both the Cotto-Canelo and the Rigo fight.

I had it 116-112 for Canelo, it wasn't really a skill factor IMO, Canelo was just too big and strong for Cotto. I think Cotto needs to move back to 154, he is way too small for 160 and lets face it Canelo is a MW.

I'm interested in how Canelo fares at 160, with opponents that are more his size it will be interesting to see how he deals with guys he can't bully around as much. Great fight though and both deserve credit for putting on a great show.

I was a bit disappointed with the Rigo fight, he was making Francisco miss a lot but not putting anything on the end of it like he usually does. Maybe it was ring rust from being out for nearly a year and taking the fight on pretty short notice, maybe he just wanted to go through the rounds, I'm just hoping it isn't an age factor and hes struggling to pull the trigger like he used to, it would be a shame because hes so talented.

Comment

• Originally posted by RED REP View Post
              He was on steroids. No doubt about it.
              How he performed in the fight confirmed it for me as much as can be confirmed.
              steroids don't give you superpowers

Comment

• just finished watching the fight, scorecards were a joke.
                i had canelo winning by 1-2 rounds.

not really impressed bar a few flurries by canelo, he was so flatfooted, not cutting of the ring just following cotto around and getting outboxed..

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
                  I had it 116-112 for Canelo, it wasn't really a skill factor IMO, Canelo was just too big and strong for Cotto. I think Cotto needs to move back to 154, he is way too small for 160 and lets face it Canelo is a MW.
                  This right here.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                    This right here.
                    Did you enjoy the fight? If anything they were about on par with each other in terms of skill, when Cotto landed you could see it but when Canelo landed you could hear it, that was the main difference, that as well as being the sharper of the two made him win the majority of the exchanges. I haven't seen the compubox numbers but in terms of connected punches there probably wasn't a lot in it.

Cotto has a couple left in him at 154 IMO, don't want to see him fighting much longer though, hes not what he used to be and it would just be nice to see him go out on a couple wins now, go out on a high and just enjoy spending time with his family, like Canelo said, its a new era of boxing now, we need to embrace it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
                      Did you enjoy the fight? If anything they were about on par with each other in terms of skill, when Cotto landed you could see it but when Canelo landed you could hear it, that was the main difference, that as well as being the sharper of the two made him win the majority of the exchanges. I haven't seen the compubox numbers but in terms of connected punches there probably wasn't a lot in it.

Cotto has a couple left in him at 154 IMO, don't want to see him fighting much longer though, hes not what he used to be and it would just be nice to see him go out on a couple wins now, go out on a high and just enjoy spending time with his family, like Canelo said, its a new era of boxing now, we need to embrace it.
                      I actually did enjoy it!

Believe it or not I even enjoyed the rigo fight & yes cotto should stick to 154

Comment

Working...
                      X