No announcement yet.

Why do people put so much on a loss??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    I love to watch Khan fight, the speed & vulnerability is very exciting. I just know he's not as good as the hype that once surrounded him. You've got to understand that before ginger being hyped as a Floyd opponent, Khan was that guy. Floyd/Khan in the same sentence is disrespectful to the sport of boxing.
    LOL I agree with you on the Floyd and Khan(although I would not have mind seeing it),I always knew Khan was not nowhere near Floyd's level(hell even Bradley's level)...But I knew he could be dangerous if he could get his head on straight..I still believe that,but like you said,this makes Khan exciting and fun because dude has so much drama surrounding him...I don't know,I'm not ready to write him off just because of a few losses tho...This goes for so many other fighters as well..Which is really what this thread is about,there are a lot of fighters who once they take an L you'd thought they fell off the face of the earth..Khan is lucky,he got 3 chances before this really effected him,cause he has a following..What about guy's like Abregu Darchinny Zahir Raheem Agbeko etc etc...

Comment

We got 22 year old kids who lose one fight completely written off by so many on this forum. Dulorme before facing Abregu was one of the best young prospects around till he lost 1 fight as a 22 year old and all of a sudden he's a exposed bum. Now when you see these young prospects lists and threads you'll rarely see Dulorme on there, because of one loss

It can happen. These boxers are human beings. They're not robots who can be controlled into never making a mistake. This is Boxing. You can get put to sleep in a split second. No matter how skilled and talented they are, they're always going to mistakes because they're human. Especially the younger fighters. That's the only way they can learn is by making mistakes. Don't be fooled into thinking the likes of Mayweather and Broner have had it all laa di daa for their whole careers. What happens if Castillo get's the nod or Ponce De Leon gets the nod in very close fights against these two? Does that make Mayweather or Broner any less of a boxer if they lose a fight which could have gone either way? No it doesn't. That's just boxing. **** happens.

Don't you dare ever complain about fighters cherry picking and preferring the easy route if you are one of those who writes a fighter off after one loss. YOU are the reason for cherrypicking getting more and more popular in Boxing, and it's only gonna get worse. Why? Because boxers are more worried than ever about the repercussions of a loss. They know how damaging just a single loss can be to their career thanks to fans like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
        We got 22 year old kids who lose one fight completely written off by so many on this forum. Dulorme before facing Abregu was one of the best young prospects around till he lost 1 fight as a 22 year old and all of a sudden he's a exposed bum. Now when you see these young prospects lists and threads you'll rarely see Dulorme on there, because of one loss

It can happen. These boxers are human beings. They're not robots who can be controlled into never making a mistake. This is Boxing. You can get put to sleep in a split second. No matter how skilled and talented they are, they're always going to mistakes because they're human. Especially the younger fighters. That's the only way they can learn is by making mistakes. Don't be fooled into thinking the likes of Mayweather and Broner have had it all laa di daa for their whole careers. What happens if Castillo get's the nod or Ponce De Leon gets the nod in very close fights against these two? Does that make Mayweather or Broner any less of a boxer if they lose a fight which could have gone either way? No it doesn't. That's just boxing. **** happens.

Don't you dare ever complain about fighters cherry picking and preferring the easy route if you are one of those who writes a fighter off after one loss. YOU are the reason for cherrypicking getting more and more popular in Boxing, and it's only gonna get worse. Why? Because boxers are more worried than ever about the repercussions of a loss. They know how damaging just a single loss can be to their career thanks to fans like these.
        I don't always see eye to eye with you bro..But credit to where credit is due..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko
          I mean it's not the end of the world,this is boxing and it can happen to anyone...I've seen some post of people talking about Khan..Yes he loss 3 fights..But the kid is young and can rebound if he takes his craft and opponents more seriously...It's like that with loads of fighters tho,if the fighter loses fans lose interest in the fighter...This is something I've never got,hell sometimes a loss is a good thing and a learning experience..What are some thoughts on this subject....
          I completely agree... boxing fans are the worst fans in the world... most boxing fans rely on the ideas of commentators and writers who are quick to write a fighter off after a loss, rather than formulating their own insightful ideas... I think this is becoming a trend in boxing because of the aura surrounding Mayweather's undefeated record... now when you lose a fight you are deemed irrelevant... I don't believe this to be so... many great fighters have lost big fights and still went on to have more big fights and win some of those... I think it's great when great fighters take a big risk. a loss doesn't make a great fighter any less great. I don't believe there is a better measure of greatness than how one comes back from a loss...

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by fight_night View Post
            Totally agree. Since the floyd mayweather "undefeated" thing came along the "0" on the record is massivly overrated. Almost all the ATG's have lost. No shame is losing or getting KO's. The best fighters have multiple losses.
            that whats make the ATG the greatest ever cause they took chances on being beat, Pac and Ali will be talked about forever

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
              I mean it's not the end of the world,this is boxing and it can happen to anyone...I've seen some post of people talking about Khan..Yes he loss 3 fights..But the kid is young and can rebound if he takes his craft and opponents more seriously...It's like that with loads of fighters tho,if the fighter loses fans lose interest in the fighter...This is something I've never got,hell sometimes a loss is a good thing and a learning experience..What are some thoughts on this subject....
              So what's your take on your own question? Why do people put so much on a loss?

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                I think Khan is a bad AND a perfect example of the problem. When a fighter is brought up in his career and told everyday that he is the next biggest thing, they start putting the cart before the horse and looking 10 years ahead in the future. The promoters are a BIG part of the problem, as everything equates to $$$$ in their eyes. They stroke the fighters ego for years, so when a loss does come, the excuses start flying from both the promoter and the fighter. I think the fans appreciate a more humble and realistically honest fighters loss when they say "Hey, this is boxing and it can happen to anyone. So and so was better tonight and I give them full credit. I have to go back to the gym and fix my mistakes and come back stronger then before". But it's also about being humble and consistant even when they're WINNING. When Khan blamed everyone else BUT himself in the loss against Peterson (BEFORE anything came out about testosterone), he started by insulting the fans in Washington (in his post fight interview) and then proceeded to post pictures of who was ringside and the mysterious man with the black hat, etc. etc. .... it made a lot of people even more happy that he lost. It's hard to give a fighter like Khan the benefit of the doubt after the losses he has suffered because of the things he has said and done PRIOR to his losses. For example... Maidana and McCloskey both BEGGED for rematches and Khans answer was 'It's not neccessary because I would just K.O. them next time or beat them worse in a rematch.' But, when you hear the constant whining of why he should get a rematch with Garcia, and the near desperation of how badly he wants a second chance to correct the loss and prove to himself and the fans that he can do it - while it's admirable, he seems to find himself almost ENTITLED to a rematch, and yet giving a rematch to someone like Maidana (in a fight that nearly ended disasterously for Khan) was given no more deserving consideration then a flick of the shoulder and an egotistical chuckle. Hard to feel sorry for a guy like that after his downfall. YES, he has taken on some tough fights.... and then again there are also some fights he didn't take, citing an opponent not worthy of the $ they wanted. Let us not forget that both Maidana and Peterson were MANDATORY fights that the other camps had to fight tooth and nail to get made. Maidanas camp even had to go to purse bid and fortunately they won that bid, otherwise there was that possibility that we would have never seen that fight if it had been left to Team Khan to say their dubious 'They want too much money'.

It's the fighters who put in the work, fight with their whole heart and soul, and are gracious both in winning and defeat, that are the ones who will never lose the respect and admiration of the fans - so long as they are always giving it their all. In those cases, respect from the fans is both earned and given.... before AND after their losses.

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
                  i hate mma but a loss means nothing in that sport i think it should apply over to boxing as well but i doubt it'll ever happen.
                  Loses don't matter in MMA because of the nature of the sport. Fighters can get caught in a variety of ways. A simple kick in the face you didn't see coming or a leg lock could take away your belt in a split second even if you have the best boxing skills. Besides, no one fighter controls the sport in a way that they can avoid fights and fight whenever they want to.

Comment

Being undefeated is an accomplishment no matter how you look at it!! Marciano ran out of quality opponents most think. Mayweathers career continued as it started with "cheery picking" opponents. Most young prospects are hand feed opponents to teach him how to win. Eventually the tests need to begin, usually with a slow footed guy who can take a punch. Then the same guy with a little hand speed. Lastly a guy with a little sock in him but eventually he needs a "live body"! If you take on contenders then move on to veterans on the down slide (ala Floyd) theres not much reality to it! Theres other undefeated fighters but until I see one that could box like Pep or fight like LaMotta I really don't care about it!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
                      So what's your take on your own question? Why do people put so much on a loss?
                      Well,I never thought it was about Mayweather but yet more about the network and the massage they send out to the viewer...But I think Mayweather's allure added with the networks and commentators eagerness to cast any losing fighter towards the trash is the problem and the blame for the way most fans look at fighters nowa days...You have these commentators who build up one fighter(because maybe they view him as more marketable)and throw salt on the other one..Khan Berto and Ortiz all took L's on HBO...All three were treated differently then Let's say Maidana Alexander Paulie M Abregu Matt's who lost on the same network..But yet were not sign to the network long term...

Networks should not be promoters(I know in essence their not)signing a fighter for three fights is not good for a network imo because it makes that network have a bias that's unavoidable...It also does not allow you to bring back fighters who are deserving(because they put up a good fight in a losing effort)because of trying to focus to much on the fight sign to the network..I do believe the Networks are to blame the most..Believe me they have the most influence on how the sport is viewed..It's them who put's so much on a los,and shows blatant bias and favoritism towards fighters who are hot on a winning streak or undefeated...

I really don't know when this became cool to do either..As a network who provides boxing on it's airwaves you'd think they would want to be as neutral as possible...It's no wonder you have guy's like Lampley openly sucking every fighter he believes will be the next big thing...It's sad..Long gone are the days when commentators and networks left their two cents out of it and listened to the public..Now they feed us what we are suppose to feel and this is why everyone's tolerance for fighters who take L's have wean...Sorry for the long rant but this is my opinion on it..I guess May takes a bit of the blame,but he is just one man..The media is the real tool that has done this to boxing..

Comment

Working...
                      X