No announcement yet.

All this P.E.D stuff is making me question the history of the sport

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    For starters it clouds your thinking: Not something you want happening in a big fight. It also tenses your muscles up: You need those muscles loose to fight. Finally, the come down from speed is brutal. If that happens in a fight you're getting KTFO.

Poet
    Clouds your thinking? I've taken adderall a few times and it enhanced my thinking 10 fold, plus the high lasted about 10 hours so I doubt a 48 min long fight (max) will have any affect

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Clouds your thinking? I've taken adderall a few times and it enhanced my thinking 10 fold, plus the high lasted about 10 hours so I doubt a 48 min long fight (max) will have any affect
      Adderall was developed in the 1990s. I take it you've never taken Dexadrine or Benzadrine? Those were the amphetamines that would have been available to boxers prior to 1980. Taken in doses high enough to give you an "edge" means taking it in doses high enough to screw up your thinking in a fight. I've taken both, frankly, and have some experience with them. In small doses they can make you alert (much like drinking several cups of coffee) but it won't give you any kind of performance enhancement. The dose sizes needed for that will give you the detrimental side effects I mentioned.

Poet
      Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        So you think boxers were using before baseball and football players??? Around the time when those Russian weight lifters were well know for using???

If it didn't get "big" in sportsl ike football and baseball until the late 70's/early 80's, I doubt it was bigger in boxing before them. I just highly doubt it.
        What do you mean by boxers were using? Like a big percentage?

But yes boxers where using it, just like baseball players were using it long before the 80s. Does that mean the same percentage we're using? No I'm not saying that, but Even if a tiny percentage even experimented with it, then it was being "used in boxing"

And strength is used in every sport

Comment

Originally posted by laudium View Post
          HOw do we know this stuff didnt start back in the ALi days, hell maybe even before. What about Foreman, Tyson, Evander, Lennox, Ali, the list goes on. Do you think boxing is tainted now because we will never know who the hell was on "undetected" PED's. Dammit.
          Steroids weren't labeled as banned substances until the early 90's. There probably were a lot of fighters using them and athletes in general.

What would be the reason to use undetectable steroids, if they weren't even against the rules to use.

Comment

Adderall was developed in the 1990s. I take it you've never taken Dexadrine or Benzadrine? Those were the amphetamines that would have been available to boxers prior to 1980. Taken in doses high enough to give you an "edge" means taking it in doses high enough to screw up your thinking in a fight. I've taken both, frankly, and have some experience with them. In small doses they can make you alert (much like drinking several cups of coffee) but it won't give you any kind of performance enhancement. The does sizes needed for that will give you the detrimental side effects I mentioned.

Poet
            Well adderall contains amphetamines

And you're gonna tell me speed is basically a coffee high? C'mon

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
              This is precisely why we need to come down hard on steroid abusers not buy their bullshit excuses to give them a pass.

The integrity of the sport is at stake.

Agreed. The sport needs a "Capitol Punishment" type rule when it comes to that crap. People die & have died in the ring without their opponent being on peds/roids. Not some bullshit one year suspension either.

Comment

What do you mean by boxers were using? Like a big percentage?

But yes boxers where using it, just like baseball players were using it long before the 80s. Does that mean the same percentage we're using? No I'm not saying that, but Even if a tiny percentage even experimented with it, then it was being "used in boxing"

And strength is used in every sport
                Well according to people with more knowledge than you or I, steroids/PED's mainly started in baseball and football in the Mid/Late 70's.

To make the notion that Ali used, which is something TS talked about, is ridiculous. What about him suggests using????

I just can't imagine boxers using in the 60's when looking at them. Who knows though???

I think the era that had a lot of it was Leonard-Duran-Hagler-Hearns-Holmes.

Comment

Probably because cocaine and amphetamines hurt you in the ring as much as they help you. They aren't any sort of panacea that gives you any real edge over an opponent.

PEDs = Performance Enhancing Drugs. If they aren't giving you a tangible edge then they aren't, by definition, PEDs.

Poet
                  People need to stop using the abbreviation PED.

Every drug is performance enhancing. Everything. That's modern medicine

Would you go to the doctor and say "Hey doc, I'm feeling really good right now, could you give me something to bring me down a few notches?"

That's malpractice.

Just say steroids, juice or gear.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Well according to people with more knowledge than you or I, steroids/PED's mainly started in baseball and football in the Mid/Late 70's.

To make the notion that Ali used, which is something TS talked about, is ridiculous. What about him suggests using????

I just can't imagine boxers using in the 60's when looking at them. Who knows though???

I think the era that had a lot of it was Leonard-Duran-Hagler-Hearns-Holmes.
                    "mainly started"

Key words there. Basicaly when everyone started using them.

Doesn't mean they weren't experimented with much earlier

Comment

Well adderall contains amphetamines

And you're gonna tell me speed is basically a coffee high? C'mon
                      Do you have reading comprehension problems or do you just chose to ignore the parts that don't suit your agenda? I spoke very specifically about low doses and high doses. Try again Junior.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X