Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you feel your first time walking into a gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you feel your first time walking into a gym?

Just thought it'd be nice for anyone who trains to share how they were feeling the first time they stepped foot inside a boxing gym and what they learned.

For me, I was intimidated as **** and nervous as hell! I've trained in kickboxing, karate, brazilian jiu jitsu, submission wrestling, and I wrestled in highschool. BUT, i was always taught that the atmosphere of a boxing gym was completely different, and that everyone would look to kick my ass. But, lone behold, it wasn't too bad. I just learned that as long as you walk in, stay humble, and put in the work you need to, then things will go alright.

It'd be nice to hear from others. That way, anyone who's never stepped into a gym and would like to could be at ease a little.

I was really quite nervous the first time.

It was full of people really in shape, with proper boxing shoes and expensive looking gloves, and I walked in without even a pair of wraps. That was a few months ago.

It's a really friendly place though, and the camaraderie is great. It's helped me become a much more confident person.

Comment

First day was not bad at all. One guy introduced himself to me and the rest followed. It was a welcoming experience. I can't say they're all friendly but they don't seem to be the kind to bust people's chops unless you give them a good reason to.

Comment

Yeah I was nervous too and everyone looked pretty serious plus I was the only non mexican there lol but actually most everyone at my gym is real cool and supportive.

Comment

I liked watching boxing since 1971 when Ali & Frazier first fought. I had wrestled since I was 6 but never tried boxing until 1974-1975. By then I liked it so much that I was more excited then afraid when I finally went to a boxing gym. I was greeted nicely by the coach & there were only 4-5 other kids in there when I first started. I had already bought a heavybag & a speed bag & had been hitting them in my cellar. But I had never sparred before. I was pretty nervous but not afraid I think because I was already used to competition from wrestling. I was more afraid of looking bad then I was of getting hurt.

I remember how winded I got so quickly and also, how frustrated I was at never being able to connect clean withn any of my shots. The sparring seemed to be a blur. I didn't do good at all because I couldn't hit the other guy clean.

I do remember how great a ride home that was though. I was a boxer!

I only had 39 amateur fights. Always was my biggest dream to fight pro but I had to work since I was 11. I never had all the time to train that it took to ever get really accomplished. But I was able to buy my own car & paid all my payments, repairs, insurance, gas, etc. on my own. I always thought that "next year", I'll be able to pick up extra training time but "next year" never came. I got married at 20 & had two wonderful children that I wouldn't trade for everything in the world.

Never did fight pro but I did learn that I could take care of myself in almost any circumstances. Boxing gave me oodles of confidence for the rest of my life. It really is a great fraternity. Once you fought in the ring, you have a special appreciation for anyone else who ever fought. Boxing made us all brothers in a sense.

Sorry I got somewhat off track & rambled. It was nice to finally say all that though.

Comment

Gosh! The first time i tried to locate the gym, i had to travel about 1 hour by public transport and i walked for about 90 minutes around because i just couldn't find the gym! I was so angry, tired, worn out and lost... I asked around and finally found it..

I was very nervous

Comment

excited nervous all at the same

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
                I liked watching boxing since 1971 when Ali & Frazier first fought. I had wrestled since I was 6 but never tried boxing until 1974-1975. By then I liked it so much that I was more excited then afraid when I finally went to a boxing gym. I was greeted nicely by the coach & there were only 4-5 other kids in there when I first started. I had already bought a heavybag & a speed bag & had been hitting them in my cellar. But I had never sparred before. I was pretty nervous but not afraid I think because I was already used to competition from wrestling. I was more afraid of looking bad then I was of getting hurt.

I remember how winded I got so quickly and also, how frustrated I was at never being able to connect clean withn any of my shots. The sparring seemed to be a blur. I didn't do good at all because I couldn't hit the other guy clean.

I do remember how great a ride home that was though. I was a boxer!

I only had 39 amateur fights. Always was my biggest dream to fight pro but I had to work since I was 11. I never had all the time to train that it took to ever get really accomplished. But I was able to buy my own car & paid all my payments, repairs, insurance, gas, etc. on my own. I always thought that "next year", I'll be able to pick up extra training time but "next year" never came. I got married at 20 & had two wonderful children that I wouldn't trade for everything in the world.

Never did fight pro but I did learn that I could take care of myself in almost any circumstances. Boxing gave me oodles of confidence for the rest of my life. It really is a great fraternity. Once you fought in the ring, you have a special appreciation for anyone else who ever fought. Boxing made us all brothers in a sense.

Sorry I got somewhat off track & rambled. It was nice to finally say all that though.
                Great post.

I agree entirely with the bolded. A quick browse of NSB suggests to me that many posters have never put on a pair of gloves.

Comment

i was mad scared ya know, i guess apprehensive is the word?

but i mean i walked in and it was exactly what i hoped, small kinda dirty place in the basement of some highrise building, everyone was cool and treated me pretty good. then i found out it was free, which made it even better

Comment

i felt great i walked in as if i were a seasoned pro

Comment

Working...
                    X