No announcement yet.

Need tips vs southpaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is interesting.

When sparring I just switch to the southpaw stance and keep my lead foot on the outside. Definitely will try to incorporate some of these things.

Comment

Southpaws hate body shots.

They tend to rely on solely one or two shots. thats their entire arsenal because they don't need much more to trouble right handed fights.

Just a jab, a straight, and the correct movement.

Get on the inside of most southpaws, they'll crumble. Unless you've got a southpaw that's actually been taught correct body punching. most won't have that unless they are exceptional and they've been taught well.

straight right hand will trouble a southpaw, along with stepping back to the right and throwing a left hook as he comes in
      Last edited by greenwitch; 01-04-2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

You can even jab and step back to the right. This confuses them, they expect you to move to the left.

you're moving to the right instead. they'll come forward looking to throw their straight. you throw your straight first

Comment

Forgot to add.

if you're looking for an example of what i'm talking about. watch Marquez leveling Manny..

he's constantly moving to the right away from manny's jab and slightly backwards also avoiding Manny's straight. and then bam

threw his own right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwitch View Post

They tend to rely on solely one or two shots. thats their entire arsenal because they don't need much more to trouble right handed fights.

Just a jab, a straight, and the correct movement.

Get on the inside of most southpaws, they'll crumble. Unless you've got a southpaw that's actually been taught correct body punching. most won't have that unless they are exceptional and they've been taught well.

straight right hand will trouble a southpaw, along with stepping back to the right and throwing a left hook as he comes in
            You can even jab and step back to the right. This confuses them, they expect you to move to the left.

you're moving to the right instead. they'll come forward looking to throw their straight. you throw your straight first
            Forgot to add.

if you're looking for an example of what i'm talking about. watch Marquez leveling Manny..

he's constantly moving to the right away from manny's jab and slightly backwards also avoiding Manny's straight. and then bam

threw his own right hand.
            yup, do all that and then when they try to punch you back......... move!

I found the jab to equal little besides maybe a distraction to a southpaw that they quit being distracted by after only a few months in the ring. I always did well against southpaws though, I wasn't afraid to mix it up.......... Rockin'

Comment

Another example is what floyd did to the ghost.

Not moving to the left at all. holding his ground and taking little steps backwards.

and then just kept throwing lead right hands all night at him, and then moving back off to the right

think he did this for like 12 rounds. can't remember any inside fighting or crazy counters.

just right hands all night long

Comment

I watched whittaker against chavez yesterday i only watched it to see pernell but after the first round chavez had me in a trance i became more interested in chavez tryna get off on the southpaw when he wasnt following pernell he did some delicate basic positioning to land or to cut off whittaker it was great today i watch again this time only whittaker.

Comment

Really? LoL

I didn't know solely fighting in a southpaw stance inherently made body shots less bearable.

This is like people saying "you have to back a southpaw down"...being able to take a body shot and being more/less comfortable fighting backwards or forwards have nothing to do with your stance.

People should stop referring to southpaws as if they're aliens or something. We just fight in a different stance. That's it.

Comment

Clearly i didn't mean that they're more susceptible to body shots.

if you've read what i actually wrote, you'd have understood. less sarcastic comments, more reading is on the menu for you

Comment

Clearly i didn't mean that they're more susceptible to body shots.

if you've read what i actually wrote, you'd have understood. less sarcastic comments, more reading is on the menu for you
                      You should take your own advice. I never mentioned the word susceptible. I addressed your inference that southpaws inherently dislike body shots more than orthodox fighters which is stupid.

And next time, look a man in the eye when you address him (quote me).

Comment

Working...
                      X