Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Billy point thangy thang, most significant boxing fight? Beating the white hope

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Billy point thangy thang, most significant boxing fight? Beating the white hope

What do you think is the most significant boxing fight in boxing history? Whether if it had any impact on society or if it was just a big fight.

In my opinion I think the most significant fight in boxing history is the 1910 fight between Jack Johnson and James Jefferies which was billed "Fight of the Century" and for good reason. It was a bad time in US history where blacks were treated as objects still even after the civil war and not human beings. Scratch objects, they were treated like animals. It was like the White people where Michael Vick and black folks where the dogs they made fight for next to nothing not to mention all the great white fighters ducked them.

It was a big fight because they named Jame Jefferies "the great white hope" trying to take that heavyweight title away from Johnson because they couldn't stand having a black heavyweight champion. He was even quoted in saying "I feel obligated to the sporting public at least to make an effort to reclaim the heavyweight championship for the white race. . . . I should step into the ring again and demonstrate that a white man is king of them all."

Their was so much hate and James Jefferies was even an undefeated ex-heavyweight champion so the white people were so hyped thinking James was going to take Jack Johnson out but in the end, in front of 20,000 people which is pretty huge, Jack Johnson took that man to school. Made his corners make him quit so he wouldn't knockout their precious white man.

I feel it was so significant because Jack Johnson put a big foot down for the African American race making a powerful statement that African American's are great boxers and are the best to ever do it of course depending on the fighter. It pretty much made the white people accept great African american boxers even though it didn't stop them from trying to take him out, he still made a huge statement with that gigantic win. He paved the way for the great likes of Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali who came after him only a few decades later where they went on to become Pound for Pound 3 of the greatest fighters to ever do it.

I know a lot of people might say Joe Louis over the German, but if Jack Johnson loses that bout, who's to say Louis ever gets his chance to beat the Nazi's for the US? I'm sure black athletes would have eventually been accepted but Jack Johnson did it in impressive fashion when it mattered the most. One of the best heavyweights of all time. Shamefully he was still ducked by many white fighters, but nobody can ever forget the big step he took for African Americans and nobody can deny his greatness, especially after such a magnificent moral victory like that for a whole entire race of people.

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
    What do you think is the most significant boxing fight in boxing history? Whether if it had any impact on society or if it was just a big fight.

In my opinion I think the most significant fight in boxing history is the 1910 fight between Jack Johnson and James Jefferies which was billed "Fight of the Century" and for good reason. It was a bad time in US history where blacks were treated as objects still even after the civil war and not human beings. Scratch objects, they were treated like animals. It was like the White people where Michael Vick and black folks where the dogs they made fight for next to nothing not to mention all the great white fighters ducked them.

It was a big fight because they named Jame Jefferies "the great white hope" trying to take that heavyweight title away from Johnson because they couldn't stand having a black heavyweight champion. He was even quoted in saying "I feel obligated to the sporting public at least to make an effort to reclaim the heavyweight championship for the white race. . . . I should step into the ring again and demonstrate that a white man is king of them all."

Their was so much hate and James Jefferies was even an undefeated ex-heavyweight champion so the white people were so hyped thinking James was going to take Jack Johnson out but in the end, in front of 20,000 people which is pretty huge, Jack Johnson took that man to school. Made his corners make him quit so he wouldn't knockout their precious white man.

I feel it was so significant because Jack Johnson put a big foot down for the African American race making a powerful statement that African American's are great boxers and are the best to ever do it of course depending on the fighter. It pretty much made the white people accept great African american boxers even though it didn't stop them from trying to take him out, he still made a huge statement with that gigantic win. He paved the way for the great likes of Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali who came after him only a few decades later where they went on to become Pound for Pound 3 of the greatest fighters to ever do it.

I know a lot of people might say Joe Louis over the German, but if Jack Johnson loses that bout, who's to say Louis ever gets his chance to beat the Nazi's for the US? I'm sure black athletes would have eventually been accepted but Jack Johnson did it in impressive fashion when it mattered the most. One of the best heavyweights of all time. Shamefully he was still ducked by many white fighters, but nobody can ever forget the big step he took for African Americans and nobody can deny his greatness, especially after such a magnificent moral victory like that for a whole entire race of people.
    Something to think about: The Johnson Vs. Jeffries fight may well have DELAYED the intregration of boxing precisely because of the hate and rioting. It's pertinant to note that Johnson was unpopular amongst his fellow blacks of the era because he was seen as a selfish pr1ck who was only out for himself and who set the black cause back decades with his self-aggrandizing behavior. Jack Blackburn, for one, hated his guts. Just some food for thought

Poet

Comment

Max Schmeling wasn't a Nazi as far as I'm aware.

Comment

As for the thread I would agree NOW in recent history it is considered quite an astromical step for the black race and a pivotle moment in history.

Poet touched on a good point that it may have delayed it. But, at the same time it was a big step forward a black man of Johnson's calibur beating a white man of Jerffries calibur. Regardless the the extended lay off.

So I would tend to agree with your assesment and well done.

Jefferies, was also the favourite to win the fight, regardless to his lay off.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Max Schmeling wasn't a Nazi as far as I'm aware.
          He wasn't. It was just that Hitler was using the athletic success of any non-Jewish German to boost the prestige of his regime.

Poet

Comment

Jefferies, was also the favourite to win the fight, regardless to his lay off.
            He shouldn't have been. To give the modern day equivalent it would be like Lennox Lewis ballooning up to 350 pounds and announcing today that despite his years of retirement he was going to take the weight off and fight Wlad this Fall. I doubt any sane person would favor him under those circumstances.

Poet

Comment

I think Louis-Schmeling 2 was the most significant fight in history. With over 20,000,000 listeners around the globe this fight had world wide ramifications, not just American. Jmo.

Comment

I just don't think that tops how big this fight was since it was pretty much an all out race war. I know that fight was during world war 2 and was big for the allies against the axis powers but I mean it's not like it revolutionized anything. It was just the right match up during the right war, an american against a german during the Nazi movement.

I don't think it's fair either the radio and even TV was starting to come around during that fight when their was next to nothing but newspaper journalist for Jack's fight. I'm positive millions would have listen to this fight as because the racial tension was so thick back then. People think it's bad now if they ever been to prison and have be against the other race in their, well it was 50X greater back then in just everyday society.

Jack Johnson started a revolution. I know it could have hurt them as well like Poet said, but then again that's "could of". But it didn't because once he won this huge epic fight their's really no excuse to deny a black fighters right to boxing supremacy. It wasn't an immediate impact but you can see how it effected the sport in the next few years as Jack Dempsey came along. He was notorious for ducking great black fighters he even openly admitted "I was scared to death of Sam Langford" and that really tarnished the hell out of his legacy for ducking so many challenges. It's hard to even rank him top 10 nowadays at heavyweight because of his ducking.

Bottomline what I'm trying to say, Jack Johnson paved the way for a whole race of people whereas Louis just got a cheap moral victory over the Nazi's but it's not like it effected the outcome of the war or anything. The 1st black heavyweight champion dominated "the great white hope." Leaving it just as that, just a hope. That's so influencial even today because you still have people throwing out the term "great white hope." It was used for Jerry Quarry and I've even heard a lot of people call Pavlik that.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  He shouldn't have been. To give the modern day equivalent it would be like Lennox Lewis ballooning up to 350 pounds and announcing today that despite his years of retirement he was going to take the weight off and fight Wlad this Fall. I doubt any sane person would favor him under those circumstances.

Poet
                  I didn't say I agree with the fact.

But, it is a fact.

Personally, I don't hold too much stock in the actual win itself. Considering all the factors surrounding it.

Comment

I didn't say I agree with the fact.

But, it is a fact.

Personally, I don't hold too much stock in the actual win itself. Considering all the factors surrounding it.
                    That's how significant it was though. White people use to think they were that much superior to blacks that even if they took 10-20 years off they still should always be able to whip a black man. Jack Johnson put that to sleep real fast and put blacks at an almost equal playing feild.

Comment

Working...
                    X