No announcement yet.

Blueprint to beat Vitali Klitschko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueprint to beat Vitali Klitschko?

Even though I am a bigger fan of little bro Wlad, I know the game plan to beat him is for a durable fighter with power and inside fighting skills to get inside land short shots, back him up, and find that not so iron chin. A fighter like a young Tyson may very well have been a bad style for him but I can't really think of a good game plan to beat Vitali.

So other than hoping you cut him or being so lucky that he has a freak injury and has to pull out during the course of a fight can you give me a realistic thought out winning strategy for beating VK?

Please no pics or vids of the Byrd or Lewis fights because they didn't really end in a way where strategy played much of a part in their wins.

Just throw something till it lands square on his chin

..... thats the best blue print imo

Comment

Destroy him, like an old, fat, Lennox did.

Comment

no 1 in that heavy weight division can beat him or wlad haye the only 1 with a chance is haye cuz hes got speed and heavy hands theyve never fought that

Comment

Vitali Klitschko is unbeatable.

- He has dominated every opponent he has ever faced.

- Has never been behind on the scorecards.

- Has a great chin, never been down.

- 38 KOs in 41 wins, greatest heavyweight champ KO% of all time.

- Only man ever to be world heavyweight champ in boxing and kickboxing.

Vitali is almost 40 now, came back after a 4 year layoff and is still dominating the heavyweight division. He hasn't lost a single round in his comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelhammer2010 View Post

Vitali is almost 40 now, came back after a 4 year layoff and is still dominating the heavyweight division. He hasn't lost a single round in his comeback.
            That is what I am saying he is not only an excellent boxer in terms of technique and spacing but he can also beat fighters down in close range because he is such a big strong fighter with such a durable chin.

Comment

Land a lucky punch is the only way to beat him, But with an iron chin that to seems unlikely.

Comment

First off I don't think Vitali's unbeatable, but I also don't think any fighter barring Wlad today possesses the right mix of attributes and skills to pull off a win. Haye's got the speed and power, but lacks the chin and stamina. Adamek's got the adaptability and stamina but lacks the power or the size. Solis has got the power and the skill but lacks the discipline. And the list goes on.

I think, hypothetically, the type of fighter to beat him would be someone who possesses the fleet footedness to stay on the outside way out of range of Vit's shots, and the timing to leap in with quick hurtful shots of his own, the way Haye did at times to Valuev. He would also need the tricksy head movement of a Chris Byrd to avoid Vitali's return shots when in the pocket. The hypothetical fighter would have to maintain intelligent pressure all night long, ie not just stomping forward throwing the occasional jab, right hand like Arreola, Peter, Williams and countless others did, but making Vitali work with feints, side to side movement, body and head shots etc. JC Gomez had a a bit of success with this in the early rounds. Mr Hypothetical probably can't expect to just blast Vitali out of there in the first few rounds, or even win the first few rounds, so he has to put work in the bank, attack Vitali's body with straight shots, with the occasional overhand to keep him guessing. Whilst he's doing that he'll need to constantly pivot around Vitali's power side to take the sting off his right hand, without making it clear he's doing so. By the mid rounds, hopefully Vitali will be hurting from the body shots (hard to say since no one's really made a concerted effort to go to his body, but let's assume he is) Mr Hypothetical can start to go upstairs more with hurtful shots a la Hide and Sanders, catch Vitali's respect and prevent him from steamrolling him. If he does find himself being pushed back by Vitali's pressure, he needs to try to get low, bob and weave out of the way of Vitali's rights and lefts, but with his guard up to prevent uppercuts, as well as the presence of mind to know when Vitali gives him an opening for a counter as Sanders was able to do at times. Alternatively, he could adopt the Kevin Johnson shoulder roll against the ropes, which was extremely effective at negating Vitali's best work, but this wouldn't really give him too many opportunities to effectively counter given the pressure he'd be under. Speaking of Johnson, a good jab would be essential in this matchup. Vitali's vulnerable to a quick long jab and tends to mark up easily; even Sosnowski was catching him at times. I don't think maintaining the jab against Vitali is a winning strategy, rather, Mr Hypothetical would need to use it as one of many tools to keep Vitali honest, along with the bodyshots, overhands, etc. If he can stick to his gameplan and minimise the damage he receives then the later rounds become very interesting. Is Vitali hurt, is he tired, is he disheartened? He was certainly all three at the end of the Lennox fight, but that was a long time ago now, and involved a horrendous cut to boot. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of a KO or TKO here, good as Vitali's chin is, but more likely they would fight to a decision. This is where Mr Hypothetical's heart, concentration and ability to fight through debilitating exhaustion comes into play, because he will have most certainly expended a hell of a lot of energy both nervous and physical up to this point. As mentioned above, the only fighter to really show the ability to do that was Lennox, and that was only a six round fight! How many fighters today possess the type of mindset to do that? Only Adamek, to my mind.

So, anyway, I'm not saying the above is a watertight blueprint for beating Vitali, since there are a lot of unknown factors involved. Rather, it's a collection of things that various opponents (most of whom lost the fight) had success against Vitali with at times. Also, I've avoided trying to make a superman, or of trying to match height and weight with Vitali since big skilled men are extremely rare. Instead, I've assumed that Mr Hypothetical is around the 6 foot 1, 6 foot 3 mark, and around 220 - 230lb, since traditionally this is where the most skillful heavyweights have been in height and weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                  Even though I am a bigger fan of little bro Wlad, I know the game plan to beat him is for a durable fighter with power and inside fighting skills to get inside land short shots, back him up, and find that not so iron chin. A fighter like a young Tyson may very well have been a bad style for him but I can't really think of a good game plan to beat Vitali.

So other than hoping you cut him or being so lucky that he has a freak injury and has to pull out during the course of a fight can you give me a realistic thought out winning strategy for beating VK?

Please no pics or vids of the Byrd or Lewis fights because they didn't really end in a way where strategy played much of a part in their wins.
                  Byrd was not that lucky , he simply made Vitali miss to the point where Vitali punched his own shoulder out .

Besides , I think that prime McCall and George Foreman may have given Vitali big problems as well as prime Lewis and Bowe. I do think that Vitali should rank higher than Lewis and should be considered a favorite to beat him prime for prime because Lewis "won" just because of the cuts which should not count like many Vitali haters and Lewis nuthuggers try to portray it.

Comment

Vitali was downed by Corrie Sanders

Vitali's "KO" over Ross Puritty is just the same as Lewis' "KO" over Vitali himself , so either count both as "KOs" or don't count neither , like I don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X