Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl Frampton...Where was the respect? (American fans)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give Frampton credit I thought he was gonna lose but he won now is he gonna take an easy fight( which is ok) or Selby or Russell.

Comment

I've noticed a lot of fans, the ESPN staff is particularly guilty of this. The overrating of physical attributes, reach, speed, power etc. Frampton is the real deal, he just moved up in weight and beat someone much bigger than him

So many "experts" looked at Leos reach and activity advantage and wrote Frampton off without even giving Frampton his fair share of analysis.

Comment

I don't know who Selby is, but Russell Jr would most definitely NOT be an easy fight. Frampton would be at a huge speed disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums! View Post
          Because

Slick American bruvva > Mexican warrior > stiff eurobum
          Occasionally a fighter bucks that trend and catches us off guard
          SHYT posts like this are leading you to your conclusions, TS. I can't blame you. Despite the rise in Euro fighters, all some of these posters ever say is Eurobum over and over as if putting it in our heads every single thread may convince us that only "slick American bruvas" can box and only Latin American fighters can brawl. It's stupid and may go away someday, but my guess is that Kovalev will have to knock Ward out in 60 seconds or less, Golovkin will have to beat everybody at 168, 175 and knock them out and Carl The Jackal will have to beat Rigo through the mat(Rigo not even being American but we know what it means), before he'll get the real respect. To hell with them. Quality fighters are coming up from all over. No group has had the sole right to say they can box ever. It's always been a diverse group. They need to show some common sense, as they often do on other topics. Maybe one day...

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
            I give Frampton credit I thought he was gonna lose but he won now is he gonna take an easy fight( which is ok) or Selby or Russell.
            I think it's fine for him to take an easy fight for sure, but part of me would like to see him win big a third time in a row. How often does that happen or has ever happened? If he beats Loma at 130, he's number one, plain and simple. I'd definitely have to bet against him in that one, but damn. If he did win, I'd never bet against him again.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              I seen so many of you say that Frampton has made a fan out of you and you had never seen him fight, which is good, but ultimately it also shows a lack of respect and quite a bit of ignorance. Why did so many of you pick Santa Cruz without knowing anything about Frampton and in a lot of cases I see many of you hadn't even seen him fight. You are supposed to be hardcore boxing fans.

I don't get this attitude at all, I always do my research on fighters, especially when a lot of fans are talking highly of a particular fighter. It feels like a lot of you stereotype fighters, and I saw a lot of comments dismissing Frampton as a soft touch. In the build up it felt like a lot of American fans didn't believe that a white/Irish fighter could be a slick elite level boxer puncher. Thats the way it came across.

This guy is a complete fighter, he can punch, he can box, and he can brawl when he needs or wants to, some of the things he was doing last night were unbelievable and he had so much more variety than Santa Cruz, he was using pull-counters, up-jabs, check left hook was landing all night, this guy has got great variety.
              Whoa there lil buddy... The leading Yank writer for BS gave his prediction for Frampton to win - and he call it pretty much exactly like it went down (Cliff Rold - who writes the "report cards" before, and after fights, where he breaks 'em down, and gives his pick).

As far as why Frampton was such a large underdog is beyond me - but it wasn't just the yanks - British bookies had Frampton available anywhere from +200 (lowest I saw him at - at anytime over the past few months leading up to the fight) all the way to +380-400. And Santa Cruz was anywhere from -200 to -400. Those odds were way too far off...

I think the prevailing theory among the majority of the boxing world, was that Frampton, just moving up to 126, being shorter, with a significantly shorter reach, wouldn't be able to close the distance, and working from outside in, Cruz would gradually break Frampton down for a UD, or late stoppage. Other factors included LSC work rate compared to Frampton's.

I think after seeing Cruz show another dimension against the still very formidable Mares, made people think that stylistically, this fight was going to be won be LSC.

And, after seeing Frampton with a less-than-stellar performance against Quigg, and how Quigg came on so strong late, all factored in why Frampton was such a large underdog.

What people forgot is how smooth of an operator Frampton is, and how calm under pressure he is - being able to pick and place his shots - and with a boxing brain that allows him to read-and-react, constantly thinking and adjusting on the fly, whereas LSC is more of a "stick to a game-plan" kind of guy. Also Frampton's strong chin, and underrated stamina.

Comment

This thread is not based on facts. The 'american fans' did not 'sleep' on Frampton. He looked bad against Quigg, he was moving up in weight and giving up 7 inch reach to a guy with very high work rate. On paper, this was not a good matchup for him, and that's exactly what the fans, and the odds reflected.

There's absolutely no reason for conspiracy theories or whatever you're trying to say here.

Comment

I've always felt LSC was nothing special.

I was rooting for Frampton to win, and he did, so I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    I seen so many of you say that Frampton has made a fan out of you and you had never seen him fight, which is good, but ultimately it also shows a lack of respect and quite a bit of ignorance. Why did so many of you pick Santa Cruz without knowing anything about Frampton and in a lot of cases I see many of you hadn't even seen him fight. You are supposed to be hardcore boxing fans.

I don't get this attitude at all, I always do my research on fighters, especially when a lot of fans are talking highly of a particular fighter. It feels like a lot of you stereotype fighters, and I saw a lot of comments dismissing Frampton as a soft touch. In the build up it felt like a lot of American fans didn't believe that a white/Irish fighter could be a slick elite level boxer puncher. Thats the way it came across.

This guy is a complete fighter, he can punch, he can box, and he can brawl when he needs or wants to, some of the things he was doing last night were unbelievable and he had so much more variety than Santa Cruz, he was using pull-counters, up-jabs, check left hook was landing all night, this guy has got great variety.
                    Frampton, a guy that a lot of people hadn't seen fight (or a guy who you saw get dropped early by another guy you'd never heard of), was coming up a division to fight Leo Santa Cruz, a fighter who had basically every physical advantage, had been sawing through everyone he'd faced, and beat Abner Mares (a fighter who most people felt was the goods).

Nobody was outright dissing him, but Frampton coming over and beating Santa Cruz, on paper, was a tall ask.

Comment

I've always felt LSC was nothing special.

I was rooting for Frampton to win, and he did, so I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X