Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll let the polls decide. See if the majority of the scene thinks that Roy should have fought tougher competition.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
        Well.. I'm talking about the six guys who had the 'trump' card to beat Roy Jones. The best version of him from 160-175.

They were all very good fighters with that one edge which none of Roy's opponents had: Real one punch knockout power.

All their other qualities were top level but still a level beneath Roy's. Their one edge that could have changed a fight against Roy Jones was their respectable powers.

Nigel Benn landing one of his famous combinations ending in that KO punch which send Mccellan reeling numerous times would have a good shot at hurting Roy.

Daruiz , Jackson with his abilities to change a fight in a split second due to that surreal KO specialty of his. Eubank, Mccellan. They all had it. We have never seen how Roy would have reacted in his prime if he was hurt by someone with true killer instinct. Why?
        Because he didn't fight the 6 guys with that killer instinct which were always hovering around his weight classes.
        Toney didn't have power or killer instinct?

Comment

IMO Roy would have taken a lost or two if he went through those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
            Fair enough. Can he duplicate that 5 more times ? Against elite versions of Nunn-Eubank-Daruiz-Jackson-Mccellan?

Oh I forgot.. Roy is the greatest 'would have' fighter in the history of boxing other than Vitali.

Vitali WOULD have beaten Lewis if the fight had continued
            Vitali WOULD have beaten Rahman if they fought.
            Vitali WOULD have dominated any era.

Roy WOULD have beaten Benn if they fought
            Roy WOULD have beaten Nunn.

Tell you what. Roy WOULD have gotten caught at least once if he fought even half of that list. How Roy WOULD have reacted? We just don't know.

Because Toney absolutly destroyed prime Michael Nunn, and jones made Prime james toney look like the wassent even from the same planet.
            > all the apponents you listed

Comment

Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
              Because Toney absolutly destroyed prime Michael Nunn, and jones made Prime james toney look like the wassent even from the same planet.
              > all the apponents you listed
              Because Foreman destroyed Frazier who beat Ali.. there fore.

Oh wait triangle theories do not work in boxing. Try again.

Love the Roy Nut huggers who just can't admit Roy missed out on a lot of top fighters. Love it. Will be back if I'm not banned for hating on Roy to utterly school you noobs with hard core bailey facts.

Comment

Nunn had no power.

Nunn would still have been the biggest threat to Jones IMO.

Comment

Nunn was a superb skillful fighter with above average ability. He reminded many in his prime of Leonard and Ali. I think he beats Roy. He just never was the same fighter after the KO lost to Toney. The Toney that fought Mike McCallum the 1st time would have beat Roy. Roy would probably beat Benn and most brawlers. I'm not familiar with Eubank. McCallum in his prime would have gave him hell. Those guys were very good fighters with pop in their punches. They would have exposed Roy's technical flaws. I have never been the one to say that Roy Jones is a great fighter, I've always said he was a great performer and entertainer in the ring. If he had fought the tougher fighters in his prime, he would have been exposed far sooner than when Tarver beat him.

Comment

i wasnt really there yet on Roy's era, but i dont think he avoided them like the plague, those fights just didn't happen for other reasons. yes those 6 have all their chances in to beat roy, lets say about 10% each. triangle theories doesnt work but sometimes things are a little bit really obvious. and yes tony was greater than those 6.

Comment

I'll show you why

Roy Jones Jr Knocked Out Cold in 10th Round By... by BlackSportsOnline

Comment

Working...
                      X