Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe moved up and fought the light HW champion - why can't Andre Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward doesn't hit hard a Smw..he'll have NO power @ 175..

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014
      But a lot of people are saying Ward has already done more than Calzaghe.

And a lot of other fighters moved up in weight when they were Wards age: Roy Jones, James Toney, Billy Conn, etc.

160 to 175 is a bigger jump than 168 to 175. And let's not forget, Ward fought at light heavyweight in the amateurs.
      The only fights I am interested in seeing Ward in for now is Golovkin, who fought at 165lbs(Middleweight) in the amateurs, so 168 should be nothing to him. Pascal-Bute Winner at 175, because I think that fight would be very big, and it would be a very popular fight and a good one too, I think Pascal would would push Ward to the limit.

I would like to first see Kovalev vs Stevenson, and then I will join in on the demand for Ward to fight the winner. As of right now, I am not that interested.

Comment

Originally posted by teddycanyon View Post
        to be fair, Hopkins was an aging blown up middleweight, not a man with Explosive KO power like Kovalev. Little bit less of a risk for Calzaghe to give up seven pounds.
        And Calzaghe said in interviews he was having trouble making 168. From what I hear, Ward has always been very comfortable at this weight
        Kovalev?

Stevenson is the Lightheavyweight Champion

Comment

I get what you mean.... I don't know what else Ward wants to do at 168. He can probably still make it comfortably, but those big money fights are now overseas

Comment

lol andre ward has already accomplished more than joe ever did, There is a reason an undefeated fighter is not ranked as one of the best ever

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Ward has fought better fighters than Calzaghe when he was the same age. Ward already has a better resume, even having two of Calzaghe's 4 best wins in Bika and Kessler, while also having Froch, Abraham, and Dawson.
              Couldn’t have said it better

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014
                But a lot of people are saying Ward has already done more than Calzaghe.

And a lot of other fighters moved up in weight when they were Wards age: Roy Jones, James Toney, Billy Conn, etc.

160 to 175 is a bigger jump than 168 to 175. And let's not forget, Ward fought at light heavyweight in the amateurs.
                So what? Hopkins started at Light Heavy and stayed at middleweight until he was 40. Ward fought the best in this division and cleaned it out. Calzaghe never cleaned out a division when he was at Super or light heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
                  I remember when Joe Calzaghe was 168 champion, after he had accomplished everything there was to accomplish in that division, he moved up and fought the Ring light heavyweight champion, in that fighter's home country.

I realize Andre Ward is younger than Calzaghe was when he moved up, but the 168 division is weaker now, and Ward has nothing left to accomplish in that division.

Why can't Andre Ward go up to light heavyweight and try to become a two-division champ? He fought at light heavyweight, and he's big and thickly-built.

Moving up from 168 to 175 isn't that big of a deal. Years ago, the 168 division didn't even exist. Ward would have HAD to fight at 175 back in the day.
                  How dare you criticize the greatest fighter of the last 45 thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by PurePugilist216 View Post
                    Couldn’t have said it better
                    Half of Ward's best competition are dudes that Calzaghe already beat. Ward hasn't done schit to earn the praise he gets imo. Is he good? Sure. Is he better than Calzaghe? Joe has almost as many SMW title defenses as Ward has wins.......let's get real about it.

Comment

I think he should move up too. Rather see fights with Koveluv and Stevenson than a fight with Chavez jr.
                      Last edited by Bigg Rigg; 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X