No announcement yet.

edwin rosario

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edwin rosario

what are your thoughts on this hard hitting fighter. 4 time champ but unable to fulfill the potential that the magazines in the eighties were calling for.

Isn't is crazy that a guy is a 'world champion' 4 times and there is still a question about unfullfilled potential? What was he supposed to accomplish?

He fell in love with his power a bit, and this led to him (a) not throwing enough punches because he was looking to land one and (b) getting into slugfests that he wasn't durable enough to win. I thought he beat Camacho so, when he was young, only Chavez and Ramirez beat him. Both those guys won more than 100 fights.

Comment

the potential he was to have reach according to the article I read was to be the duran of the eighties. As you state he did accomplish quite a bit but suffered more defeats than duran in his prime. Some people credit him with shaking up Camacho so much that hector was never the same.

Comment

The problem always is that some expect the second coming of a previous boxer.

He just didn't get the one big HOF win. He barely beat Ramirez the first time and got Koed by him I think when he had him hurt a round before.

Got to appreciate for what it is

Comment

That is true, in my estimation. Camacho became much more timid after that fight. He also crushed Livingstone Bramble when he was at his peak. He was slow to throw punches against Davis Jr, and he should have never got involved in that shoot out with Ramirez. But the guy was easy to hit and he was hurting him, things happen, you know.
          The Chavez fight, I think, was a career changer for him. He really got beat up a lot in that fight and I don't think his punch resistance, his reflexes, none of it was the same after that. He beat Garza after that- caught him cold- but he also got kod in the first by the Japanese fighter.
          You know why Chavez beat him so easy? Watch their feet. In close, Rosario's feet are far apart. Takes time to get turned on a punch; Chavez has his feet under him at all times. He can punch real short and very hard whereas Rosario needs room. Plus Chavez does some sneaky things inside, like hitting Rosario's right elbow with his left glove to misdirect his right hand.

Comment

I remember seeing Rosario fight as a teenage featherweight and was super impressed and thought he would be a star for years. He never reached quite that level but his KO over Bramble was a fond memory for me. Rosario was absolutely taken apart by Chavez and it was all downhill from there.

Comment

Edwin Rosario was a puncher with dynamite in his fist. He has some good knockouts that make a good highlight reel. I remember when he took out Livingston Bramble. I recall that Rosario stopped the bur-head in one or two rounds. Impressive at the time.

Comment

chapo was a mf. I think u all said it all about him n don't appreciate the slur on bramble but that ko on livingstone was indicative of the kinda power Rosario had. if winning 135 title 3 times wasn't enough, he stops the peak loreto Garza who had just shown his sharp boxing skills frustratin vinny pazienza into a dq via illegal grappling fouls. im sure chapo was brought in as an over the hill name opponent for Garza but kaboom. chapo had that kinda power

Comment

Had read alot about Edwin back around 1981, and when he fought viruet, he was devastating.He definitely could've fullfilled that potential, but other things got in the way.There was no way that Julio should've bullied him like that in their fight, but it happened.Talented fighter who never reached his potential.He was lucky to pull out that fight against Davis Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    I remember seeing Rosario fight as a teenage featherweight and was super impressed and thought he would be a star for years. He never reached quite that level but his KO over Bramble was a fond memory for me. Rosario was absolutely taken apart by Chavez and it was all downhill from there.
                    For me, that was Chavez most impressive win. Rosario could really hit hard and Chavez walked right through him.

As for Rosario, I love watching his fights. When he was on, I don't think there has ever been a harder or more dangerous puncher at lightweight. Excellent fighter but he never got to that top tier level like you said.

Comment

Working...
                    X