Collapse
No announcement yet.

best boxing book you've ever read????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Beyond the Ring" hands down the best boxing book out there................Rockin'

Comment

raging bull, story by jake lamotta

Comment

Originally posted by portuge puncher View Post
        raging bull, story by jake lamotta
        Raging Bull was decent, but its so overated now. Has anybody read Graziano's "Somebody up there likes me"? I haven't read that nor seen the movie.

Comment

.................................................. .................................................. .

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Raging Bull was decent, but its so overated now. Has anybody read Graziano's "Somebody up there likes me"? I haven't read that nor seen the movie.
            Seen the movie but never read the book. Movie was good but would be terribly dated now, certainly not as good as raging bull.

Comment

would LOVE to read floyd pattersons book...he was one of the good guys.

holyfields book was good.

i read joe fraziers boxing instructional book. pretty darn decent.

there are two sugar ray robinson books that ive read. One was excellent. One was written either by the editor of Jet magazine or Ebony magazine and was the most racist garbage i have ever read. dont remember the titles of each off hand.

unforgivable blackness was an EXCELLENT read. the dvd is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                Seen the movie but never read the book. Movie was good but would be terribly dated now, certainly not as good as raging bull.

Thats fine by me. "The harder they fall" is one of my favorite boxing movies so I don't think it would effect me so much. Thanks man.

Comment

Thats fine by me. "The harder they fall" is one of my favorite boxing movies so I don't think it would effect me so much. Thanks man.
                  Paul Newman was the star and a bit of trivia I believe it was Steve McQueen debut though blink and you'll miss him! Must be somewhere to catch it or download it. Did look for the book a couple of years ago but it was out of print and the 2nd hand copies were prohibitively expensive.

Comment

Facing Ali was impossible to put down..
                    Another great read is King Of The Gypsies, the memoirs of bare knuckle fighter, Bartley Gorman.. It tends to exaggerate in places, but it's also very atmospheric & captures certain moments brilliantly..

Comment

I really liked Joe Loius' autobiography and Thomas Hausers biography about Ali. "Unforgivable blackness" was a very good read too. "Charley Burley and the black murderers row" was pretty good. But the best boxing book I've read is Douglas Century's biography "Barney Ross". As well as being an all time great fighter Ross was a fascinating person as well as a decorated war hero. I highly recomend this book to anyone who enjoys or is interested in boxing history.
                      Jab,
                      You read "In This Corner"?
                      Terrific book, I'm sure Graziano is in it.

Comment

Working...
                      X