Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roach right? Has Pacquiao’s head been turned from the ring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Roach right? Has Pacquiao’s head been turned from the ring?

Freddie Roach told me pointedly earlier this year that it had always surprised him – pleasantly – that alongside his burgeoning success in the ring, and near-idolatry in the Philippines, Manny Pacquiao’s hunger for hard work and ring success never altered his attitude. “I was waiting for him to change after every fight, every success,” Roach said. “But the same Manny appeared through these doors to the gym. That’s what I think sets him apart right now…”

Yet has that changed this summer, in the wake of Pacquiao’s devastating defeat of Ricky Hatton early in May this year? The noises emanating from Roach’s Hollywood gym would suggest that might just be the case. Pacquiao has been appearing in commercials, television shows and even an upcoming movie.

The Philippine boxing hero declared yesterday – only days after there was speculation that he was not taking the contest with Miguel Cotto, in November, seriously enough, that he needed to ‘switch on’ now. It is certainly time.
    Instead, Pacquiao, 31, re-asserted that he was determined to run for Congress next year despite a previous election defeat and the up-and-coming bout with three-time world champion Cotto.

He insists he has sufficient time to train for his fight against Cotto in November and then campaign for a seat in the lower house, with national elections slated for May next year.

“It (my election campaign) will still push through. Nothing has changed,” said Pacquiao, who has set up his own party, the People’s Champ Movement. “I will start my training next week. I count the days. I need at least eight weeks of training before a fight,” he said. “Cotto cannot be underestimated. He is big, strong and he is a good boxer and he has shown what he can do in the ring. We can’t take him lightly,” said Pacquiao, widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

“I will need discipline and training, I will need to be serious and study his style,” admitted Pacquiao, who has a habit of winning in the ring, but lost in his first bid for Congress in 2007. Political observers insist that voters idolise him as a sportsman but did not want Pacquiao’s attention diverted away from the boxing ring. It may already be too late, and a sporting great could be lost. Cotto is one serious challenge, but there is not a boxing fan in the world who would not like to see him face Floyd Mayweather Jnr next year, if they both win their impending contests this Autumn. If anyone can keep Pacquiao on track, it is the king of the Wild Card himself, Roach.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...from-the-ring/

I want Pac at 100% when he fights Cotto. I hope he focuses on task at hand, which I believe he will.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunch View Post
      I want Pac at 100% when he fights Cotto. I hope he focuses on task at hand, which I believe he will.
      not gonna happen if this fight is in the PI.

Comment

Absolutely the wrong fight for Pac to be involved in anything but his trainin camp for. I think he's smart enuf not to lose his focus here. But if not, he's in serious trouble.

Comment

I think Pacquiao is just maximising earnings.Right now he's being talked about everywhere and so it's only good for him to make the buck.It's not like Manny is filming whilst training,after the films he will start training.Whether he can really work like that remains to be seen.I know a certain troll will accuse me of talking about Mayweather but Mayweather was training for Hatton and doing dancing with the stars and then now he was at the WWE.
          Roy Jones used to play basketball and fight the same evening.It's not for everyone,if Manny can do it cool for him.To Roach,noone remains the same once money starts coming.What money does is to empower you to be the real you.A lot of us cant do things we want to do,we cant be who we really are because we got money.Manny has money and the real Manny will come out

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shaw View Post
            I think Pacquiao is just maximising earnings.Right now he's being talked about everywhere and so it's only good for him to make the buck.It's not like Manny is filming whilst training,after the films he will start training.Whether he can really work like that remains to be seen.I know a certain troll will accuse me of talking about Mayweather but Mayweather was training for Hatton and doing dancing with the stars and then now he was at the WWE.
            Roy Jones used to play basketball and fight the same evening.It's not for everyone,if Manny can do it cool for him.To Roach,noone remains the same once money starts coming.What money does is to empower you to be the real you.A lot of us cant do things we want to do,we cant be who we really are because we got money.Manny has money and the real Manny will come out
            good post. but, training in the PI is as good as not training. believe me

Comment

I remember when Lennox Lewis came off from filming a movie and right into a boxing ring, y'all remembered what happened. I'm just sayin'.

Since his destruction of MAB, which high-profile fight did PAC look lackluster in?

Guess what, it was his rematch with MAB. It was also the one where he trained in the PHilippines and was doing movies, etc.. and it showed in his performance.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1 View Post
                good post. but, training in the PI is as good as not training. believe me
                The last time Manny got knocked out he claims he had become cocky,now that was at a lower level.If he has that attitude now then things will really get messy.Remember how Tyson got knocked out by Douglos,now Cotto is better than Douglos and what a painful lesson this would be.Cotto is a hard hitter but not a one punch ko artist,the pain is usually adminstered more by fighters like Cotto than by one punch KO artists.

Comment

Originally posted by We want Floyd View Post
                  I remember when Lennox Lewis came off from filming a movie and right into a boxing ring, y'all remembered what happened. I'm just sayin'.

Since his destruction of MAB, which high-profile fight did PAC look lackluster in?

Guess what, it was his rematch with MAB. It was also the one where he trained in the PHilippines and was doing movies, etc.. and it showed in his performance.
                  Disagree...MAB fought not to get KOd....that's why the fight looked so bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X